Will Wii U have DX11?

#1dmaxcsPosted 8/23/2011 6:23:55 PM

Topic

#2SkyCrackersPosted 8/23/2011 6:27:10 PM
No, and it doesn't really need it, either. DX11 is overhyped. Actually, it won't use DirectX at all, it'll use some sort of equivalent.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#3dmaxcs(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 6:31:11 PM

So they're using dx10 then right.

#4SkyCrackersPosted 8/23/2011 6:34:25 PM
They're using an API that's equivalent to DirectX11.

Actually, I think that developers don't even need to use an API for consoles. It's just if they so choose.(may be wrong on this)
---
#5TottentanzPosted 8/23/2011 6:35:05 PM
dmaxcs posted...
So they're using dx10 then right.

Technically DX10.1 to be more specific. However, as I have been throttled for this in the past, technically DX terminology doesnt directly translate to console gaming for reasons I have not fully understood why.

Near as I can tell, the U will use a GPU a few generations newer than the competition that is only capable of DX9, but it will not be the top of the line stuff that computers are using now, capable of DX11.
#6SkyCrackersPosted 8/23/2011 6:41:36 PM
Tottentanz posted...
However, as I have been throttled for this in the past, technically DX terminology doesnt directly translate to console gaming for reasons I have not fully understood why.

It's because Nintendo doesn't use DirectX. DirectX is owned by Microsoft, I believe.
---
#7Mavrick588Posted 8/23/2011 6:46:57 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
They're using an API that's equivalent to DirectX11.

Actually, I think that developers don't even need to use an API for consoles. It's just if they so choose.(may be wrong on this)

this
---
"Never been righteous, though seldom were wrong"
#8TottentanzPosted 8/23/2011 6:47:27 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
Tottentanz posted...
However, as I have been throttled for this in the past, technically DX terminology doesnt directly translate to console gaming for reasons I have not fully understood why.

It's because Nintendo doesn't use DirectX. DirectX is owned by Microsoft, I believe.

Well then, even though the terminology would be slightly different, technically the GPU for the U will still not be able to handle the polygon levels that a GPU capable of DX11 could correct?

The HD 4800 series by AMD will not be able to render polygons on a console as small as the ones rendered by the HD 5000 series capable of DX11 on a computer correct?

Or does the fact that it is a console toss out that terminology completely? What would the terminology for the graphics capability of the HD 4800 series be then if DX10 is not an acceptable term? I honestly do not know the answer for this one.
#9SkyCrackersPosted 8/23/2011 7:16:39 PM
Tottentanz posted...
Well then, even though the terminology would be slightly different, technically the GPU for the U will still not be able to handle the polygon levels that a GPU capable of DX11 could correct?

Well, polygon counts and DX version are not directly related, but obviously, it'll usually be the more powerful, polygon crunching GPU's that can run newer versions of DX. So there's an indirect relationship there.

I guess "DX10.1 equivalent capabilities" is a good way to describe the Wii U GPU's capabilities.

Wait- maybe "shader model 4.1 capable" is the best term to use here, I don't know. Either way, "DX10 equivalent" is good enough.
---
#10fataliPosted 8/23/2011 7:17:23 PM
The version of DX a GPU can use, and the amount of polygons they can work with are not related.

The versions of DX is just an update over the software, but MS has spend a lot of money to make people think each new one is a massive upgrade from the previous version, when in fact it can have just a very slight improvement on very specific things. Of course that people is blinded by looking at the videos that MS specifically made to promote the new DX version, saying the graphics you see are not possible in the previous DX, and not telling you that they tweaked them to make them look worse in the old one.

In comparison, have you notice any amazing speed improvement on youtube video playing when you upgrade your version of flash?, smoother movement on any animation? Well that's the same case for DX, it may solve a few small details for programers, but is not going to make a game run amazingly better.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.