Will Wii U have DX11?

#11SkyCrackersPosted 8/23/2011 7:25:21 PM
fatali posted...
The versions of DX is just an update over the software

Everything you said was true, but I'd like to point out that new versions of DX often require new hardware to run them. And it's not just Microsoft being greedy.You almost made it sound like you can download DX11 over the internet and install it on 10-year-old GPU.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#12NyyarkPosted 8/23/2011 7:25:42 PM
Both nintendo consoles and Sony consoles use a version of OpenGL not Direct X. Direct X is a proprietary Microsoft product, and they would have to license it from them. OpenGL is the open source alternative, although not quite as nice, it is free to use. It is also used in all the non Windows OS's
#13darkjedilinkPosted 8/23/2011 7:26:30 PM
The only real difference between DX10.1 and DX11 is "hair tech." Basically, it allows hair and grass to be rendered more realistically in real time. Otherwise, there really isn't anything different.

The only way using a DX10.1-equivalent API like the WiiU will could bite them in the ass is if DX12 came out within the next year, it makes programming graphics a crapton easier, and is used in the Nextbox AND PS4. This is unlikely, since - unless the PS4 and Nextbox didn't come out within the next couple of years - DX12 cards that are worth a crap would make the system horribly expensive.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#14fataliPosted 8/23/2011 7:53:31 PM(edited)
SkyCrackers posted...
fatali posted...
The versions of DX is just an update over the software

Everything you said was true, but I'd like to point out that new versions of DX often require new hardware to run them. And it's not just Microsoft being greedy.You almost made it sound like you can download DX11 over the internet and install it on 10-year-old GPU.

Actually my point was that games don't need it, When Crysis came out and MS showed comparison pics of the DX9 and DX10, they made it look like there was a big improvement, but later game journalists proved that there was no difference between Crysis DX9 and DX10, and that its "DX10" features worked fine with DX9 by tweaking a config file.

Is not that the hardware can't run the features, is that they want you to get new hardware.

And since link or it didn't happen:

http://www.megagames.com/news/crysis-directx10-features-run-xp

---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#15SolisPosted 8/23/2011 8:15:43 PM
Technically the Shader Model version would be a more accurate representation of GPU capabilities, but even then it only serves as a general guideline: due to differences you find in specific hardware architectures, their features can greatly differ even if they claim the same base capabilities. For example, both the Xbox 360's and almost certainly the Wii U's GPU are capable of hardware tessellation, even though that wasn't part of a standardized DirectX feature until 11 (and the Xbox 360 was released over 4 years before any DirectX 11 cards were available).

Additionally, the Shader Model/DirectX equivalent/Hardware Capabilities really don't indicate anything when it comes to actual performance, as that's based on very specific aspects on top of architecture design (stream processors, memory bandwidth, clock rates, etc). For example, an AMD 6250 might have the same capabilities as an AMD 6950 card, but in terms of practical performance it will be closer to the ATI 9800, a card released 7 years and 7 generations beforehand. So unless we get very accurate reports about certain details of the hardware, even information about what features it supports will be relatively unimportant, even less so when we have no idea what kind of hardware will be in other upcoming consoles.

Although comparisons between different DirectX versions in PC games is rather pointless as the process for supporting different hardware on them is much different than in consoles. On PC, games are made for the lowest common denominator (i.e. DirectX level) and then if it supports higher settings, it adds on whatever features are practical and easy to implement. There will rarely be a major difference because many of the higher-class features would require games to be designed for them specifically. On a console, you don't have to worry about that: you can automatically build the game to completely depend on the highest features that the hardware supports. So an Xbox 360 game could be designed specifically to rely on tessellation, but you wouldn't be able to do the same on a PC game unless DirectX 11 hardware was going to be a requirement (and you can be certain that almost no developer would do that anytime soon).
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#16omniryuPosted 8/24/2011 12:15:02 AM
Tottentanz posted...
SkyCrackers posted...
Tottentanz posted...
However, as I have been throttled for this in the past, technically DX terminology doesnt directly translate to console gaming for reasons I have not fully understood why.

It's because Nintendo doesn't use DirectX. DirectX is owned by Microsoft, I believe.

Well then, even though the terminology would be slightly different, technically the GPU for the U will still not be able to handle the polygon levels that a GPU capable of DX11 could correct?

The HD 4800 series by AMD will not be able to render polygons on a console as small as the ones rendered by the HD 5000 series capable of DX11 on a computer correct?

Or does the fact that it is a console toss out that terminology completely? What would the terminology for the graphics capability of the HD 4800 series be then if DX10 is not an acceptable term? I honestly do not know the answer for this one.

OpenGL or opengx. Plus, I heard it literally support DirectX 10.1.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019-7.html
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; pkmn White FC: 3997 6383 0943
3DS FC: 1160 9831 1358
#17SkyCrackersPosted 8/24/2011 9:01:24 AM
SkyCrackers posted...
They're using an API that's equivalent to DirectX11.

Actually, I think that developers don't even need to use an API for consoles. It's just if they so choose.(may be wrong on this)

I just realized my typo. I meant DX10.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#18thundercat2600Posted 8/24/2011 9:28:09 AM
No it won't have DX11, and no it won't have capabilities equivalent to DX11.

WiiU is based on R7XX. This GPU family launched in 2008. The first DX11 GPUs didn't even launch until late 2009.
#19BigJon1448Posted 8/24/2011 9:33:15 AM
i think its opengl 4.1
---
If you loved the old GOOD wrestling games, give support:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/920076-wwe-day-of-reckoning