Why was the Wii for you? (Also, Wii U hype)

#1homsarrunner3Posted 8/24/2011 3:17:49 PM
Due to the recent influx of Nintendo hate on this board, I have taken it upon myself to start a good old-fashioned nostalgia/hype thread.
Yaaaay!!

So, on to business.

1. Why did you get a Wii?
2. What did you enjoy about the Wii most?
and finally, 3. What new features do you hope to see in the Wii U, and/or what existing features would you want to be updated?

You all know the rules. Let's keep it clean, and have fun!
---
"I'm an open book, boss. Granted, the book's in Spanish and some of the pages have fallen out, but I'm an open book."
-Raul, Falout: New Vegas
#2Tom_Green_IIPosted 8/24/2011 3:30:00 PM
1. Why did you get a Wii?
2. What did you enjoy about the Wii most?
and finally, 3. What new features do you hope to see in the Wii U, and/or what existing features would you want to be updated?

1. I enjoyed the gamecube and I was intrigued by the wii from the start, new way to play and whatnot.

2. The games; SMG, DKCR, Dead Space Extraction, TvC, Muramasa

3. I just hope that Ninetndo actually gets the third party support they claim they are getting. Also, the online needs to be SEVERELY updated, friend codes need to go, if they are going to do a VC type thing again, they need to release games at least once a week (online play for those would also be awesome). I also hope that Nintendo spends no time making another terrible wii fit type casual games and focus on making newer IPs.
#3TottentanzPosted 8/24/2011 3:33:43 PM
1. Family Console

2. Family Games that my daughter and I can play together.

3. I want either a huge new MH game considering they have 25gb discs to put stuff on with online modes of co-op groups of 8 or more with mounts or small boats to take on even larger monsters or a button to zap Steve Jobs with. I am kind of leaning on the second one, but that might break in a day.
#4monjamania2000Posted 8/24/2011 3:37:06 PM
Nintendo was one of the biggest parts of my childhood. Even today my friends and I still nerd out on some nes, super nintendo, n64, gamecube, and wii. To put it simple, I love Nintendo and its been doing me just fine since they started.
---
I'm a glitch modulator, sip on the data
Verb conjugator, plus herb inhalator
#5Prince ShondronaiPosted 8/24/2011 3:41:24 PM
1. To play Nintendo's games.

2. Nintendo's games, though there were some 3rd-party gems that I fell in love with like Fragile Dreams and Rune Factory Frontier.

3. The greater system power of the WU will be nice. I'm hoping to see some great entries in Nintendo's franchises. Hopefully 3rd-parties will come up with some exciting uses for the WU controller, too.
#6kiwikushPosted 8/24/2011 3:42:02 PM
Oh Wii :)

I got the Wii on launch day, waiting in line for a full 24 hours. It was really nice, actually. A few days earlier, when the PS3 came out, I waited in line for the PS3 for three days and three nights. There were about 12 of us in line for PS3 console and halfway through the wait, we were informed that the store (WalMart) only had two PS3s on site. Luckily I was number two in line. They were a great three days, but the funny thing was that every single person in that PS3 line was buying their PS3s so that they could then turn around and sell them on ebay for twice the money. So, while we were all gamers, none of us cared about the PS3.

The Wii line was the opposite. There had to be at least twice the number of people in line, way more consoles on site, and unlike the PS3 line, everyone in the Wii line was buying a Wii because they wanted a Wii. I wanted a Wii. I brought my television, and my SNES, and plugged into the outside of walmart I played DKC and other SNES games with the others in line. Such a fun time.

I am, for sure, waiting in line again for the Wii U, and it's going to be awesome.

I love Nintendo fans.
---
Girl gamer.
If you're not playing Contra, you're not 'hardcore'!
#7brainfreeze10Posted 8/24/2011 5:03:49 PM
Warning, rant ahead.

1) I got it for Christmas the year it came out- PS2 was starting to go and my mom saw the Wii was the cheapest option, that's it.

2) My favorite thing was probably the least favorite part for everyone else on this board- the casualness. For someone who only hardcore-ly played a couple of games prior to the Wii (Crash, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank) and who was almost entirley new to Nintendo aside from my GBA they did everything nearly perfect for me. Yes TP was easier than all the others, yes it stuck to the Zelda Formula a lot- NSMB lacked secrets, Brawl was floatier, MK more random, etc. But it was exactly what I needed to get started on Nintendo franchises and get to know the characters and stories. After being amazed by SMG and TP, becoming so accustomed to the superior FPS controls from COD, and putting hundreds of hours into a single game for the first time with both MKWii and Brawl I was completely hooked. From there I had access to every Nintendo home console ever made, as well as most of it's early competition. I got to go backwards and experience whole franchises from one system-something I've done with Zelda, Mario, Metroid and a lot of RPG's like FF and CT.

My point being- I'm an example of exactly what Nintendo set out to do. They turned me into what most would consider a "hardcore" gamer, and I love the Wii for that.

3) A lot. My love letter to Nintendo right there is true, but by becoming "hardcore" also made me more and more aware of Nintendo's short-comings. Through my brother's system I experienced amazing games like Bioshock, Batman: AA, GTA 4 and even enjoyed shooters like Gears and Halo (mainly for local multiplayer). I witnessed the amazing power of the PS3 in MGS4 and Killzone. I felt what it was like to have a lag-free experience online, enjoying a game with my friends late at night before sleep or early Saturday mornings. Every console has something going for it and if Nintendo wants my money they need to pick up on some of the competitions.
a) power (check)
b) backwards compatability (check)
b) Online features including free to play, profile system and achievements
c) Third Party support for the major releases (or possibly excusable if we get all of the japanese-exclusives I'm sick of missing out on)

They have a lot of work to do because past game's systems won't save them this time.

/Rant

Also, that's sounds awesome Kiwi hahaha.
---
*Mariokart: 5327-1821-0811*_*Brawl: 3181-1870-7986*
*GH3: 1246-9108-7621*_*MH3: Maynard*
#8FunkyKong84Posted 8/24/2011 5:28:12 PM
homsarrunner3 posted...
1. Why did you get a Wii? 2. What did you enjoy about the Wii most?and finally, 3. What new features do you hope to see in the Wii U, and/or what existing features would you want to be updated?

1. I didn't own a vg console since the good old SNES and Wii managed to convince me to get one. Two games got me so hyped last year that I had to go get it: Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii.
2. The Galaxies, MKW, DKCR, MSC, MSM, DKBB and lots of other awesome games. What I love about the Wii is how it has amazing casual, fun and party games. You can even play FIFA and Mortal Kombat on it. Let alone VC and good old roms.
3. I want to see better graphics and big third party titles like Grand Theft Auto. I am not crazy for PS360 type of games, I'm only crazy for Mario and DK games, but still I need something good to play after I 've finished my first choice titles.
#9homsarrunner3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2011 5:44:17 PM
In case I wasn't clear in my first post, feel free to throw in some random, awesome game ideas, ie ideas for new games that make good use of Wii U's features, or new entries in series you want to see again.. whatever!

Personally, I want to see a sequel to the most cute, squishy, kingdom-crushing, wife-stealing game ever... Little King's Story.

Remember, ideas are the coal that keeps the hype train chugging!
Toot-Toot!
---
"I'm an open book, boss. Granted, the book's in Spanish and some of the pages have fallen out, but I'm an open book."
-Raul, Falout: New Vegas
#10CPUXPosted 8/24/2011 5:46:44 PM
1. Gamecube and 1st party games.
2. Gamecube.
3. Gamecube/XBOX360
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/OppositeParadox - Mai Channel...obviously.