How would you feel if Nintendo gave their games a complete core makeover?

#1monjamania2000Posted 9/9/2011 11:35:20 AM
Excluding Mario of course. Keep that game casual and fun. I mean stuff like giving Metroid a totally basass, Halo-ish online experience (note: I hate Halo and im not saying this game needs to be like Halo) or some dark, deep Star Fox story mode. Better ground missions than Assault and Adventures. Maybe put an older Link in a Zelda game rockin' a manly beard and a big ass sword?

Just some thoughts. Discuss?
---
I'm a glitch modulator, sip on the data
Verb conjugator, plus herb inhalator
#2TerotrousPosted 9/9/2011 11:40:03 AM
Doesn't really need it. Metroid is already pretty core as it is. The corniness is a large part of Starfox's appeal. Mario absolutely wouldn't work, as you already noted. Neither would Pokemon. And so on.

As for Zelda, I'd be more inclined to go the opposite direction - I think it'd be an interesting twist if one of the Links was a woman (after all, it's just a title that has been applied to many different people).
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Super C"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3darkstriker00Posted 9/9/2011 11:43:12 AM
Link, and metroid are already very core. Starfox could use some online play though. Also it's funny that there never has been a female "Link".
---
PSN-darkstriker00
#4monjamania2000(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 11:44:26 AM
Yea, honestly I did like the cheesey Star Fox moments. And a female Link you say? I think that would be pretty good. I had an idea for a game based around Sheik and it sounded pretty cool in my head. Id totally play a LoZ game with a female protaganist
---
I'm a glitch modulator, sip on the data
Verb conjugator, plus herb inhalator
#5brainfreeze10Posted 9/9/2011 2:07:29 PM
Fairly unhappy. We get one or two good metroids, zeldas, star foxes, etc. every gen, change is good but a tricky reimagining could be dangerous.

However, I want new IP's and their are a few genres, like you mentioned, that they've yet to cover. So....it still kinda goes hand in hand, right?
---
*Mariokart: 5327-1821-0811*_*Brawl: 3181-1870-7986*
*GH3: 1246-9108-7621*_*MH3: Maynard*
#6The_BonesPosted 9/9/2011 2:22:09 PM
If Nintendo started changing their games like that I'd consider giving up gaming altogether.
#7EndgamePosted 9/9/2011 2:31:14 PM
If Nintendo started changing their games like that I'd consider giving up gaming altogether.
so you're considering giving up now?

.....or have you just not noticed what's been going on with Fire Emblem, Metroid, Super Smash Bros., or Zelda lately? or the absolutely horrible Fifth Generation pokémon that are unlike anything previously in the franchise, beating out even the First Generation's general uninspiredness?
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#8darkjedilinkPosted 9/9/2011 2:34:35 PM
Zelda is about as "core" as it gets, if you really feel the need to measure e-peen and break games up into "core" and "casual."
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#9thundercat2600Posted 9/9/2011 2:34:55 PM
They already tried giving Metroid an overhaul to give it a mature story. It was called Metroid: Other M and it sucked balls.

I don't mind them taking these ideas back to the drawing board, but they need to have an understanding of what made them good in the first place.
#10kiwikushPosted 9/9/2011 3:41:37 PM
Epic lumber-jack adult Link sounds like a fun time to me... Maybe not an entire game, but it could tie into an OoT-related game and be pretty awesome.

As for a female Link though, I'd prefer not. For lots of reasons. Not that I'd hate a game like that, but I just prefer my Link a dude.

And, I would love a dark and gritty pokemon game :D It will never ever happen, but it could touch on many deep topics. The story could be amazing, touching, and horrifying. I want a story that makes me question myself, my ethics, and make me feel bad inside at some point along the way.....
---
Girl gamer.
If you're not playing Contra, you're not 'hardcore'!