Are these graphics at ps3 and 360 level?

#41DekanisPosted 10/20/2011 12:52:21 AM

Using the theoretical consoles of the future, does not equate to a good argument.
Sony said themselves that the Ps3 to PS4 will not be close to the leap in power of the PS2 to PS3.

You can overhype all you want, and then be massively disappointed when you find out it isn't as powerful as one thought. It is enough that developers talked of under-clocked WiiU systems and referred to them as 50% more powerful than the PS3, and that was months ago... They still haven't received the final systems yet, but they have already stated with what they have that the PS3 and 360 are not close to capable of what the WiiU can do.

Show me one game on PS360 which honestly looks as good as the Japanese Garden tech demo, and then remember that it was running on under-clocked systems. Even some of THE best looking PS360 games don't even look close to that graphically. Then consider the Zelda Experience, which was thrown together with little effort and within a little amount of time... giving Nintendo complete confidence in their ability to produce high quality HD games.

Consoles can be as powerful as they like, but if the developers don't use it to its full advantage, there is no point. Its been stated already that developing cost has increased exponentially since HD has come into the picture... Imagine them having the extra pressure of these new miracle systems, and the consumers who believe they must have the most high end visuals, adding to the cost of developing... this would only mean Nintendo gets a lot of third-party support.

#42darkjedilinkPosted 10/20/2011 10:19:29 AM
thundercat2600 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
The article you link about the Cell is inaccurate - it's been bench-tested in the aftermarket to run at 25 GFLOPS, not 300/100.

*facepalm*

The 230 GFLOPS number is a theoretical maximum. So is the 6.2 GFLOPS number for the PS2. They basically come up with that number multiplying the clockspeed * number of vector units * 2 (assuming a FMADD op every cycle).

In other words, that number is calculated by assuming the CPU is doing the theoretical maximum amount of work it can do, all the time.

You can't compare the theoretical number for one system with the benchmarked number from another.

Ahhh, but the 6.2 number HAS been bench-tested, making it 4x.

What you did here is actually kill YOUR argument - you can't use theoretical numbers and say a system is definitelly more that many times more powerful. Here's why - the benchtesting of the cell proved what kind of a cluster**** that thing is. The CPU needs to send an instruction to the SPU's which send each calculation back to the CPU for throughput. It can only process these things one at a time, in-order. Had they designed it like a "regular" multi-core processor, it would have been much, much faster, and you may have been close to your original number.

Now, the WiiU - using Power7 - will have four cores, each capable of processing two calculations at once, and can throughput them out-of-order, so the GFLOPS of the unit will be at least 5 times that of the PS3. Add all of this up, and you've never had a leg to stand on.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#43Mavrick588Posted 10/20/2011 10:33:35 AM(edited)

Now, the WiiU - using Power7 - will have four cores, each capable of processing two calculations at once,

Actually I believe each core runs 4 calculations at once.
At least if it's the same as other POWER7 chipsets.

EDIT:
From wikipedia:
"Each core is capable of four-way simultaneous multithreading (SMT)"
---
"Video-games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll"- Shigeru Miyamoto
#44FullMetalPanicPosted 10/20/2011 1:37:26 PM(edited)
Why are you comparing the Wii U with PS3? You should compare it to the PS4, which will crush Wii U's graphics.
---
- My current systems -
| PS2 slim | PS3 | PSP-3000 | Wii | GBA SP | DSi XL | 3DS |
#45Mavrick588Posted 10/20/2011 3:43:30 PM

Why are you comparing the Wii U with PS3? You should compare it to the PS4, which will crush Wii U's graphics.

Lol Didn't we just talk about comparing things we know about to made up systems that don't even exist yet?

I hate to use the term but, fanboy much?
---
"Video-games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll"- Shigeru Miyamoto
#46darkjedilinkPosted 10/20/2011 3:52:00 PM
Mavrick588 posted...

Now, the WiiU - using Power7 - will have four cores, each capable of processing two calculations at once,

Actually I believe each core runs 4 calculations at once.
At least if it's the same as other POWER7 chipsets.

EDIT:
From wikipedia:
"Each core is capable of four-way simultaneous multithreading (SMT)"

I stand corrected.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#47Mavrick588Posted 10/20/2011 3:57:14 PM

I stand corrected.

But in a good way :)
Wii U is actually shaping up pretty well.

But this is all meaningless until we get some hard info about the specific CPU variant they will use
---
#48ddd87Posted 10/20/2011 7:48:43 PM
FullMetalPanic posted...

Define "crush"
---
Conduit 2 Friend Code: Damian87 (1034-2074-7427) NTSC Version