My only concern is if i will need an HD TV

#1sebetaiPosted 10/16/2011 2:18:08 PM
I have no worries about the console or anything about it except for the fact it's in HD. I don't have an HD TV and Wii U will be my first HD console. I've heard some games don't do well on SD TV's like having words hard to read. The controller isn't going to be in HD (Could always make one like with Motion Plus) so i guess that would take care of that but if the games can display good on the controller then maybe i have nothing to worry about?

I really don't want to spend more than $250 on an HD TV and want 32 inches or more. Plus i hear a lot of them break fast, occasionally after the warranty is done. So I'm guessing I'm not getting an HD TV until after 2013.
---
I loved, i lost, and i saw boobies. what more can a man ask for?
A teenage girl? Perry the teenage girl!
#2darkjedilinkPosted 10/16/2011 2:25:47 PM
First off, youwon't need an HDTV. The component cable they will likely pack in with the WiiU is capable of running a composite signal - just connect the "green" wire to the "yellow" RCA port on your TV.

Yes, there will be some picture distortion, but it will be somewhat minimal if the WiiU is set to 480i.

Finally, it sounds like you want a Walmart made-in-China Black Friday Special HDTV, which should be stayed away from. Buy one from places like NewEgg.com or Ultimate Electronics (if you have one around) - they'll get you a good deal on a great HDTV. Buy Mitsubishi if you can, otherwise Panasonic, Sharp or Phillips are good, too. Sony's are overpriced, and everything else pretty much is crap.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#3desert_santaPosted 10/16/2011 3:05:57 PM
i only have trouble reading a small handful of games on my SD television

however developers now seem to favour HD tvs over SD ones as more recent games seem to have tiny unreadable text compared to previous years

don't know about the 360 version but the ps3 version of FF13 is unplayable on a SD tv as the cgi scenes screen tear like mad
#4sebetai(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2011 4:09:24 PM
Well it's a good thing i can play on the controller. Honestly the only reason i want an HD TV is to play games on. I don't know when every station starts solely airing in HD so that you need one but I would say not for many years.
---
#5ORANGE666Posted 10/16/2011 4:32:17 PM
New games these days are developed with the mindset that the gamer has an HD TV. If you've been playing games this gen with a SD TV, you've really been missing out. It's a huge difference especially if the TV is big.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 10/16/2011 4:35:31 PM
sebetai posted...
Well it's a good thing i can play on the controller.

Keep in mind that not every game will have this ability - I doubt games like Ghost Recon Online, or other games that will use the Upad extensively will include this.
---
-Nintendojitsu
#7Paddle008Posted 10/16/2011 4:37:14 PM

It's very likely that it will come with red/yellow/white composite cable. It's up to Nintendo if they want to put component, however they are already sold separately so they might keep it like that. Reading text shouldn't be too hard, but I think you should get an HD TV, it looks much nicer.

#8Paddle008Posted 10/16/2011 4:39:02 PM

darkjedilink posted...
sebetai posted...
Well it's a good thing i can play on the controller.

Keep in mind that not every game will have this ability - I doubt games like Ghost Recon Online, or other games that will use the Upad extensively will include this.
---
-Nintendojitsu

This is true too games like Chase Mii wouldn't work with just a controller. It would also ruin some games because you have to shake the screen.

#9sebetai(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2011 4:42:35 PM
Well i want a good HDTV but i don't want to spend a lot of money. Been wanting a big HDTV. 32 inch is the lowest i want. Well one day. I'll just try to avoid those that really require an HDTV. until i get one. What are some good brands but also on the low price side? I have heard some HDTV go out often.
---
#10MushroomDoomPosted 10/16/2011 4:55:10 PM
how do you not have an hdtv in 2011??