Aonuma: "We'll See" for voice in future Zelda game

#31NewMoonShadowPosted 12/3/2011 5:59:57 PM
Has Nintendo ever done voice acting for a game that wasn't embarassing at best?

Nintendo's never done voice-acting for a game period. That's kind of the problem with Nintendo in general. At some point they became so paranoid about losing their "charm" that they refused to take on new storytelling techniques and rely on the same thing they've been doing for fifteen years, as if even attempting to implement a story and characterization would somehow ruin the gameplay by its very presence.

Or perhaps they simply didn't want to spend the money to make the story better AND keep the Gameplay up to par? Either way it's been one of Nintendo's most glaring weaknesses for a long time now. I think we can all say we enjoy a good silent protagonist every now and again, but when it's literally ALL a company puts out, it starts to make one wonder why they refuse to even try.
#32SoaringDivePosted 12/3/2011 6:55:31 PM
I'm up there with the guys that say "Voice acting can help some games, but ruin the feel of others". And to me, Zelda is one of those games where it could kinda ruin the feel.

NewMoonShadow posted...
Has Nintendo ever done voice acting for a game that wasn't embarassing at best?

Nintendo's never done voice-acting for a game period. That's kind of the problem with Nintendo in general. At some point they became so paranoid about losing their "charm" that they refused to take on new storytelling techniques and rely on the same thing they've been doing for fifteen years, as if even attempting to implement a story and characterization would somehow ruin the gameplay by its very presence.

Or perhaps they simply didn't want to spend the money to make the story better AND keep the Gameplay up to par? Either way it's been one of Nintendo's most glaring weaknesses for a long time now. I think we can all say we enjoy a good silent protagonist every now and again, but when it's literally ALL a company puts out, it starts to make one wonder why they refuse to even try.

Oh man, I can't wait until we get consoles that can reach 64 bits!! I hate being stuck with this SNES.
---
Currently hyped for: Ever After (Marianas Trench)
#33DeuxHeroPosted 12/3/2011 9:30:43 PM
Only Troika could get VAing right, and then they died.
---
God was a dream of good government. You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.-Morpheus -Deus Ex
#34TerraPhantomPosted 12/3/2011 11:41:25 PM
SragentThom posted...
I don't understand why do you need to higher the more famous voice actors all the time. I see it more realistic to higher some bum(aka average citizen) then a guy who sound like Zeus

"I can take my time reading. Sure, you can usually skip through the talking of the NPCs, but then it's kind of jarring and it takes me out of the game."

It's either more of the line of unnecessary whining here or forgetting to use the no voice option.

I don't think anyone is saying that the characters should sound like Gods when they ask for VAs. The reason I would want professional VAs is so that they can convey emotions through their speech effectively. If they just used average joes with no training, the game would sound like an elementary school play.
#35VyersPosted 12/4/2011 12:59:51 AM
pikachupwnage posted...
SragentThom posted...
Voice acting help immense you more in the game. Only Zelda fanboys resent it because of their blind faith in Nintendo and the popular by Internet games such as Zelda CDI

LOLWUT?

how can you something "immense" you in something?

Protip: Check your post before you mock someone for their spelling/grammar/etc.

1. You didn't capitalize the h in "how".

2. You have an extra "you" in there, making the sentence have no meaning whatsoever.
---
https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
#36mcsmellingtonPosted 12/4/2011 7:42:53 AM(edited)
pikachupwnage posted...
SragentThom posted...
Voice acting help immense you more in the game. Only Zelda fanboys resent it because of their blind faith in Nintendo and the popular by Internet games such as Zelda CDI

LOLWUT?

how can you something "immense" you in something?

I know you hate anything that isn't extremely pro-Nintendo, but you of all people can't comment on spelling/grammar.

Back on topic, I'd like voice acting, I feel it would make the game a lot better at story immersion. That said, I don't know about Links voice, but for other characters I 100% welcome it.
---
GT: McPoo
#37PokejedservoPosted 12/5/2011 9:14:24 AM
I too would welcome the idea of voice acting, however one problem that people would have is that Nintendo has done voice acting in their games before occasionally (Super Mario Sunshine, Certain Fire Emblem Games, Star Fox series) but aside from maybe the Star Fox series Nintendo's attempts at English voice acting have not been well received. But I do welcome the idea of voice acting at all but if Nintendo couldn't be able to do it well by themselves maybe they could work with other companies such as 3rd parties (after all they have worked with 3rd parties before on the Zelda series namely Capcom on Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Minish Cap).
---
Behind The Voice- http://behindthevoiceactors.com/
My VA Resume Site: http://pokejedservovoiceactingresume.wetpaint.com/
#38BigJon1448Posted 12/5/2011 1:26:03 PM
Link DOES NOT need to talk...HOWEVER, everyone AROUND Link needs to talk!
---
If you loved the old GOOD wrestling games, give support:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/920076-wwe-day-of-reckoning
#39Bahamut_10thPosted 12/5/2011 1:27:54 PM
CloudStrife630 posted...
SragentThom posted...

The thing is, even if you are a Zelda fanboy, why would you not welcome it? I'm so confused. I love FFVII, but if they were to remake it, I'd rather they add VA. Like you said it's more immersive and I think you can get a better "identity" of characters. I'm not complaining but I think it just brings a new element to the game.

You can't compare FF to Zelda in terms of VA.
In FF you're just an expectator as far as the story goes. All characters speak, and speak a LOT.
---
Majora's Mask is the most overrated Zelda game. People who agree: 5