Question about surround sound for Gamecube and Wii...

#1kjrain12Posted 12/29/2011 4:54:04 PM

I know this isn't really the right place, but I need some help. My friend tells me that the wii and the Gamecube can't produce true surround sound because it runs through just the normal av cables instead of being compatible with an optical or hdmi cable. Is this true? That would mean that the only true surround sound compatible systems are PS3 and 36o right?

So, for example, if I play RE4 wii edition, I can't get true surround sound because the wii runs through a standard composite cable while if I play RE4 HD edition, I can get true surround sound because my 360 runs through HDMI. Is this true?

#2darkjedilinkPosted 12/29/2011 5:55:55 PM
Not true at all. Either your friend knows absolutely nothing about surround sound, or he's lying to you.
---
Official Scout Sniper Platoon Leader of the NDF
#3halomonkey1_3_5Posted 12/29/2011 6:04:36 PM
you can get surround with the standard cables, though i dont know how it would compare quality-wise to the 360's(i wouldnt expect much difference unless you have a audiophile setup, but its something to consider), considering the 360 can use either optical or HDMI for better quality then the stock AV cables can provide.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#4kjrain12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2011 4:25:37 AM

I've been reading up on it, and from what I can tell, the surround sound decodes the signal from the Wii AV cable and decodes it to make it come through in true 5.1 surround sound. Does that sound right?

#5miethaPosted 12/30/2011 5:32:28 AM
You can't get true, encoded, dolby through a RCA cable. Those that are saying you can, I have no clue what they are talking about. You can't. But you are wrong about it only being the PS3/360. I used a fiber optic cable on both the PS2 (built in) and xbox (requiring the hd kit or whatever it was called). Same as you can't get true widescreen with a 480p signal. The wii can compress the signal and then your TV can stretch it (keeping the right ratio at 16:9), but it's still a 640x480 signal, not 854x480. The point being, it might be able to simulate 5.1, just like widescreen, but that is neither true WS or surround sound.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 12/30/2011 9:02:07 AM
mietha2 posted...
You can't get true, encoded, dolby through a RCA cable. Those that are saying you can, I have no clue what they are talking about. You can't. But you are wrong about it only being the PS3/360. I used a fiber optic cable on both the PS2 (built in) and xbox (requiring the hd kit or whatever it was called). Same as you can't get true widescreen with a 480p signal. The wii can compress the signal and then your TV can stretch it (keeping the right ratio at 16:9), but it's still a 640x480 signal, not 854x480. The point being, it might be able to simulate 5.1, just like widescreen, but that is neither true WS or surround sound.

Hmmm, so how do you explain Dolby 5.1 being around for ten years before optical or HDMI?

You need to learn a lot, apparently. Dolby 5.1 has been around for a LONG time, before HDMI, optical or anything. Also, 480p is quite capable of widescreen, since the 480p only refers to how many lines of resolution each frame has, and displays them in a progressive format. If a frame has 480 lines of resolution, and all the frames are displayed in a progressive format, it's 480p regardless of how many pixels wide it is.

Stop making crap up to sound smart.
---
#7EuphemismsPosted 12/30/2011 12:14:54 PM
Pretty sure he's thinking of 480i
---
"I will have sex with you if you ask. " ~ kedith
#8darkjedilinkPosted 12/30/2011 12:19:25 PM
Euphemisms posted...

He'd still be wrong.

Another point - movie theaters don't use optical OR coaxial cables for surround sound - just the basic RCA cables we're discussing, only a bit fatter - yet they often are THX certified and 5.1 surround enabled.
---
#9EuphemismsPosted 12/30/2011 12:33:07 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Euphemisms posted...

He'd still be wrong.

Maybe I just have a bad TV then, because my TV won't display true widescreen on my wii set to 480i
---
"I will have sex with you if you ask. " ~ kedith
#10CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 12/30/2011 12:41:34 PM
It uses like Dolby pro logic instead of Dolby surround or something...

So if you're some sort of purist as to which encoders are 'true surround" then he could be right kinda.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656