Question about surround sound for Gamecube and Wii...

#11darkjedilinkPosted 12/30/2011 1:51:08 PM
Euphemisms posted...
darkjedilink posted...
Euphemisms posted...
Pretty sure he's thinking of 480i

He'd still be wrong.

Maybe I just have a bad TV then, because my TV won't display true widescreen on my wii set to 480i

It's definitely your TV, though it may not be bad.
---
Official Scout Sniper Platoon Leader of the NDF
#12darkjedilinkPosted 12/30/2011 2:03:12 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
It uses like Dolby pro logic instead of Dolby surround or something...

So if you're some sort of purist as to which encoders are 'true surround" then he could be right kinda.

Dolby Pro Logic is the name of the home theater decoder that Dolby uses. Besides, encoders aren't based on the input cable, only whether the input supports it.
---
#13ShaneJPosted 12/30/2011 11:25:03 PM
HDMI, Display Port, Optical and Digital Coax are all capable of discrete multi channel audio. Also some methods of true multi channel sound use a single RCA style cable for each channel of sound.

The Wii and Game Cube use what is called matrix encoded surround. When selected it sends out sound through stereo RCA cables that is specially encoded. When the receiver gets the data, it decodes it into the multi channel audio. These matrix formats are usually Dolby Pro Logic or DTS:NEO. Its not true multi channel audio, but it usually sounds much better than stereo audio.

Theres tons more that can be said but thats the bare minimum of it.
---
MAG Tags, WingZeroKai: Raven[)B(], SVER [^o*] Valor N/A.
PSN/Gamertag: WingZeroKai
#14darkjedilinkPosted 12/31/2011 1:30:07 AM
ShaneJ posted...
HDMI, Display Port, Optical and Digital Coax are all capable of discrete multi channel audio. Also some methods of true multi channel sound use a single RCA style cable for each channel of sound.

The Wii and Game Cube use what is called matrix encoded surround. When selected it sends out sound through stereo RCA cables that is specially encoded. When the receiver gets the data, it decodes it into the multi channel audio. These matrix formats are usually Dolby Pro Logic or DTS:NEO. Its not true multi channel audio, but it usually sounds much better than stereo audio.

Theres tons more that can be said but thats the bare minimum of it.

There is no such thing as "true" multi-channel audio. Either it's in five channels, or it isn't. All the methods you listed may sound BETTER, but that doesn't change the standard RCA cable from being surround sound.
---