Every next-gen console should have Keyboard and mouse compatibility

#1KaiserKanePosted 2/20/2012 2:39:34 AM
I know that some people think that this setup is the perfect way to play.
I certainly don't, but don't you think a lot more PC gamers would buy consoles because this?
It would also (hopefully) encourage mods to become available on consoles also.

But yeh, I haven't given this too much thought but I don't see to much wrong with it. Just an idea.
---
The internet, where everyone else is a fanboy and a troll.
#2blankempathyPosted 2/20/2012 2:50:02 AM
KaiserKane posted...
I know that some people think that this setup is the perfect way to play.
I certainly don't, but don't you think a lot more PC gamers would buy consoles because this?
It would also (hopefully) encourage mods to become available on consoles also.

But yeh, I haven't given this too much thought but I don't see to much wrong with it. Just an idea.

I don't think pc players are going to buy it just because it has keyboard and mouse support. Yea it'd be a nice bonus but its not gonna be a big selling point. And pc players coming over wouldn't help with mods either. Its up to the companies (Nintendo sony ms) to allow mods.) And why would they with Dlc being successful already.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#3KaiserKane(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2012 3:06:03 AM
Good points, but it shouldn't be too expensive to implement it.
---
The internet, where everyone else is a fanboy and a troll.
#4Gaming KingPosted 2/20/2012 4:10:01 AM
Yeah, I mean, no reason not to allow games to have that option. Of course, if a shooter allowed the option, players using that scheme would have to be segregated from everypony else because the mouse is far too advantageous in shooters. (Though if they also allow touch screen aiming, that would probably be able to keep up with mouse.)
---
Number of people who would "totally [censored] Penny" from Advance Wars DOR: 17
150-day suspension for nothing? Level 34 to 32? Who else but GK?
#5Wario_manPosted 2/20/2012 5:23:28 AM(edited)
This has idea has Wario_man's seal of approval.
---
Respect isn't learned, it's earned.
#6MegaWinFTWPosted 2/20/2012 5:35:24 AM
The PS3 has had the ability since launch but very few games ever took advantage of it, I don't see it ever taking off on consoles myself.
#7JackalPosted 2/20/2012 6:33:49 AM
The PS2 and I think the Dreamcast also supported keyboards and mice. I still have my DC keyboard. Developers have had the option to support this for a long time but very few have.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak
#8darkjedilinkPosted 2/20/2012 7:42:10 AM
MegaWinFTW posted...
The PS3 has had the ability since launch but very few games ever took advantage of it, I don't see it ever taking off on consoles myself.

I think they all have KB+M support (Wii has since launch - I don't know about the 360 tho).
---
Official Scout Sniper Platoon Leader of the NDF
#9SolisPosted 2/20/2012 8:58:53 AM
The biggest limitation would be that even if the console itself supports hooking a keyboard and mouse up to it, the manufacturers can restrict developers from allowing it to be used as an in-game control device, typically relegating it to text input at best. I'd definitely like to see them add in actual mouse/keyboard controls as a standard option for games, especially when many of these titles are available on the PC anyway where they're already used, but unfortunately a lack of interest from players and a flat-out rejection of the idea by most manufacturers means that we probably won't see it anytime soon.

I doubt it would really affect mods coming to consoles though as the input method isn't really the main reason you don't see those. The closest I've seen with a keyboard on a console being used to modify game features that you wouldn't otherwise be able to is the in-game console available in the Xbox 360 version of Two Worlds.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#10Megaman OmegaPosted 2/20/2012 11:28:13 AM(edited)

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/12/wii-rear.jpg
http://www.ps3hax.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PS3-USB-Ports-Unresponsive.jpg

What has to happen is that developers should make more control schemes available. For instance, i can brawl with anything i want. When i want to play ToS 2, then why do i have to use the damn nunchuck? Can't i use the CC or the GC controller. I don't understand this.

Or better yet, make it so we can make our own controls. Give us th option to map the buttons/controllers how we want it, even if the game doesn't support it. Say i want to play ToS 2 and i say the Wiimot A button is the GC controller A-button, the nunchuck analog is the GC analog, and so on. It just sucks that i always have to haul around a ton of controllers when going to a friend's place. Wiimotes for Wii games, nunchucks for this and that, GC controllers for brawl, CCP for this... because you just can't use the the GC controller instead of the CCP despite it being pretty much the same thing excet the lolshoulderbuttons on the GC controller, and i totally can't understand why i can't use anything with an analog instead of the nunchuck, because the nunchuck is just half a normal controller anyway.
---
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle