Potential Wii U problem?

#1Lemmywinks13Posted 2/26/2012 6:06:19 PM
I can't wait for the Wii U, I think it has potential to be my favorite system ever! There is an issue though...one of the big selling points of this system is being able to stream the game to the controller so others can use the tv. Will this only work with certain games though? I'm sure some games will be designed to use both screens...so getting rid of the tv doesn't seem to be an option. Or will developers have to make two different versions of the game...one that works with both and one that works with just the controller?
#2darkjedilinkPosted 2/26/2012 6:09:41 PM
Since the touchscreen can display stuff, you can still touch it. There's no reason to remove the ability to USE the touchscreen when you're playing the game on it - you'd just have a bit more HUD.
---
Official Scout Sniper Platoon Leader of the NDF
#3Board_hunter567Posted 2/26/2012 6:25:23 PM(edited)
This is something I've been thinking of myself.

While it's possible a dev could program a sort of hot switch that would display the HUD as it would a normal game, I think, unfortunately, that most* will just make both TV and controller mandatory.

EDIT: *Ones that make intuitive use of the controller and the TV that is. I worded my post like an idiot.
#4Starwars4JPosted 2/26/2012 6:14:21 PM
If you watch the Zelda demo, they show how this exact issue...isn't an issue at all. The Zelda demo contains controls and a map (I think a map was on there anyway) when it's displayed on the TV, but is later switched over to be displayed just on the controller. My guess is that automatically anything that's normally displayed on the controller will be delegated to a traditional start menu if the controller is in "streaming mode".
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#5Board_hunter567Posted 2/26/2012 6:19:33 PM
Starwars4J posted...
If you watch the Zelda demo, they show how this exact issue...isn't an issue at all. The Zelda demo contains controls and a map (I think a map was on there anyway) when it's displayed on the TV, but is later switched over to be displayed just on the controller. My guess is that automatically anything that's normally displayed on the controller will be delegated to a traditional start menu if the controller is in "streaming mode".

True, but the developer still has to program it all in.
I think the TC was mainly referring to games that made use of the two screens the way games make use of the DS' screens anyway, which would require a lot more work.
#6Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2012 6:20:05 PM
Good points...I guess for games where the Wii U controller is just a map or item screen this is easily fixable. I still think it could have issues for games that have more inventive uses of the systems abilities though. I'm sure there will be a few games that can't be streamed...not a huge deal I guess.
#7Starwars4JPosted 2/26/2012 6:23:16 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Starwars4J posted...

Possibly, but not necessarily. Should be fairly easy for the system to come pre-programmed to treat all information delegated to the controller screen to be hidden unless a button is pressed, a la the typical start menu.

I think the TC was mainly referring to games that made use of the two screens the way games make use of the DS' screens anyway, which would require a lot more work.

Obviously with those few tech demos such as the golfing minigame you wouldn't be able to just stream, as it requires not only the Upad, but also a Wiimote and a target to swing for. I don't think those few exceptions would be any different than how some games need a balance board or the like.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#8darkjedilinkPosted 2/26/2012 6:31:18 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Starwars4J posted...

Two lines of code.

Just sayin'
---
Official Scout Sniper Platoon Leader of the NDF
#9Board_hunter567Posted 2/26/2012 6:35:30 PM(edited)
Starwars4J posted...
Possibly, but not necessarily. Should be fairly easy for the system to come pre-programmed to treat all information delegated to the controller screen to be hidden unless a button is pressed, a la the typical start menu.

Oh, I think it'll be very easy to do just that. There will still be lazy developers though.
If a HUD on the controller makes heavy use of touch, then reconfiguring it to work without touch could take some time or may not be possible at all.
#10foochewPosted 2/26/2012 9:18:59 PM
i feel that the whole streaming thing is gonna primarely be for VC games , i could b wrong though .