Nintendo Gamer Mag (March Issue) on Wii U Tech and Price

#1mistermerkPosted 3/19/2012 6:42:51 PM(edited)
Before you call me a troll, others asked me to post what was said in the newest issue.

SPECS

They preface this bit with "Here's what we KNOW so far..."

“The Wii U is almost certainly running a quad-core 3GHZ PowerPC-based 45nm CPU. Early whispers that it’ll have 768 MB of DRAM embedded within the CPU and shared with an unknown AMD-based GPU (not ATI, as per the original Japanese developer quotes) have been all but debunked; by comparison the Xbox 360 has just 10 MB of embedded DRAM, and a colosso-chip of the size suggested would likely require a console casing as big as your sofa. Nintendo are currently testing two versions of the console for development purposes—one with 768MB of memory (compared with the 360’s 512MB) and another with 1GB, as they attempt to find that sweet spot between power and cost.”

“Based on those figures, what we have is a machine that should be roughly 50% more powerful than Microsoft’s current offering…”

“In other words, this machine is current-gen-plus, not a powerhouse destined to blow away anything currently available. “

“That would tally with both Nintendo’s usual MO and recent comments from Iwata…”

On the Develop rumor that the Wii U is 2x the 360:

“That’s a little above expectations, but entirely possible given what we know about the hardware…”

On the IGN leak that some people take to mean the Wii U is 5x the 360:

“…those numbers would suggest that, in fact, Nintendo’s console has five times more grunt than the current-gen hardware; a claim which is, not to put too fine a point on it, a load of old nonsense.”

They do say the hardware is still evolving.

PRICE

They're not sure but they say expect between 249 and 299 pounds (I don't know what that is in dollars)

In summary, Nintendo Mag, who has no reason to downplay the Wii U's power, and who talks first-hand with developers, has said it's most likely between 1.5 to 2x the 360 based off of what they know.
#2kinglink13Posted 3/19/2012 6:40:53 PM(edited)
Sorry posted it before you, guess you need to take this topic down, oh and those are not the specs, they are the old rumors, nobody knows the tech yet, and I'm glad you posted "Wii U tech is still evolving"
---
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft = Epic
#3StickMen1090Posted 3/19/2012 6:41:27 PM
"has said it's most likely between 1.5 to 2x the 360 based off of what they know."

we dont know much that is the problem.

I came here to read old news and wasnt disappointed
#4Fox133Posted 3/19/2012 6:45:02 PM
I'm not believing anything until I hear it from Nintendo themselves.
#5mistermerk(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 6:46:12 PM
StickMen1090 posted...
"has said it's most likely between 1.5 to 2x the 360 based off of what they know."

They make it clear when they're addressing rumors and when they know something. Yeah they don't post detailed specs but they have talked with developers and they know the range of RAM and fabrication process, etc. In their estimation, based off of what they KNOW, the Wii U will likely be 1.5 to 2x the 360. Stop burying your head in the sand. There's ABSOLUTELY nothing indicating the Wii U will be 4x the 360.
#6NintyLover2Posted 3/19/2012 6:47:54 PM
So they don't know anything more than us if all they can give us is the same rumors we heard nine months ago.
#7StickMen1090Posted 3/19/2012 6:48:22 PM
mistermerk posted...
StickMen1090 posted...

They make it clear when they're addressing rumors and when they know something. Yeah they don't post detailed specs but they have talked with developers and they know the range of RAM and fabrication process, etc. In their estimation, based off of what they KNOW, the Wii U will likely be 1.5 to 2x the 360. Stop burying your head in the sand. There's ABSOLUTELY nothing indicating the Wii U will be 4x the 360.

there isnt much info as it is
#8mistermerk(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 6:48:41 PM
NintyLover2 posted...
So they don't know anything more than us if all they can give us is the same rumors we heard nine months ago.

When there's smoke there's fire...especially when it's all saying the SAME thing
#9kinglink13Posted 3/19/2012 6:49:33 PM
mistermerk posted...
StickMen1090 posted...

The funny thing is that they are an unofficial magazine and posted all the quotes from the devs, they did not speak to the devs, Merk do some research before you comment.

Also about that rumor yesterday about the controller, if that was true then the Wii U would be much more powerful then the 360/PS3, because devs using the controller alot would make the games 720p, the Upad would be 480p, if you put that together that's 1200p, it takes a lot of power for a console to run two screens and push for that quality.
---
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft = Epic
#10StickMen1090Posted 3/19/2012 6:49:46 PM
mistermerk posted...
NintyLover2 posted...

When there's smoke there's fire...especially when it's all saying the SAME thing

anyone can repeat old news lol