Nintendo Gamer Mag (March Issue) on Wii U Tech and Price

#121mistermerk(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 6:20:24 AM
googler posted...
So either 1.5~2x the 360's power, or 5x the PS3's?....fascinating

the article specifically says the 5x-the-PS360 claim is a "load of old nonsense"
#122CultOfCiderPosted 3/22/2012 6:37:04 AM(edited)
Marketing 101 - never ever oversell a product.

Saying the Wii U will blow away the competition, and then you find out it is the same specs as the current gen = horrible marketing strategy.

Leaking that the Wii U will be slightly powerful - and then when the specs come out they are even better = great marketing strategy.

I wonder if they are going with a great marketing strategy or a horrible one.
---
---
#123mistermerk(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 9:21:43 AM
CultOfCider posted...

Saying the Wii U will blow away the competition, and then you find out it is the same specs as the current gen = horrible marketing strategy.

Leaking that the Wii U will be slightly powerful - and then when the specs come out they are even better = great marketing strategy.

So Nintendo is purposely underwhelming and tanking its stock right now, all so they can surprise with the WIi U's power at e3? I got you.

While you shouldn't oversell your product, it's even more imperative that you don't undersell it.
#124googlerPosted 3/22/2012 10:17:39 AM
googler posted...
So either 1.5~2x the 360's power, or 5x the PS3's?....fascinating

the article specifically says the 5x-the-PS360 claim is a "load of old nonsense

I be trollin' the PS3, foo!
#125DynheartPosted 3/22/2012 10:47:56 AM
mistermerk posted...
CultOfCider posted...

So Nintendo is purposely underwhelming and tanking its stock right now, all so they can surprise with the WIi U's power at e3? I got you.

While you shouldn't oversell your product, it's even more imperative that you don't undersell it.

While I don't care much for the argument about graphic power (it's just video games after all), I do have to ask:

What is you're obsession with trying to underrate the WiiU? Did Nintendo do something to you personally? It's like you're on some kind of crusade or something. Post all of these rumors and go off on tangents.

What I have learned over 30 years of gaming is all of those links you are posting (and that goes for the counter arguments as well) are pretty much useless, and usually there is little truth to them in the grand scheme of things. Back in the day it was from magazines, but it's rumors all the same. Been baited once, I wont be baited again.

In the end, these threads will look like the PS2 threads and how it will like like CGs all the time. Remember the Emotion engine...look how that turned out. Oh, and how the Xbox will rival that of Toy story. Hell, even today's consoles can't even do that (not without FMV/CG/whatever you want to call it). Pro-rumors will pump up the consoles they are rooting for, and they will try their hardest to make sure the competition will get a bad wrap. So far, the the rumors are working on you as intended.

In a nut shell, this is all a waste of typing. Just wait until the dang thing comes out, find out if just barely powerful or not.
#126DynheartPosted 3/22/2012 11:00:23 AM
I also want to add about the so called "Pro Nintendo" web sites.

Has anyone ever heard of the "grapevine effect"?

All I have to say is: "The Wii U is some what powerful, but not that powerful. Somewhere in the realm of X2." Every journalist will run with that. Why? Every journalist wants a story! They want the hits on their website! THEY want the next big story. So why not say "it has 2 gigs of ram, or so I've heard." Guess what folks, The Wii U now has 2 gigs of ram!

But that's not all! "The latest and greatest just came from an inside source. The Wii U has an overclocked Super Duper graphics card! Yea! So now we are in the realm of X4 now." But we have naysayers like Patcher, so let's do a nice round number, for now, and say X3 until another rumor pops up.

THIS is why you don't rely on info until there is an official release.