Playing original Wii games on Wii U controller screen?

#1sergecross73Posted 4/20/2012 10:31:53 AM
So, the part I'm most interested with the Wii U is the ability to play games straight off the tablet controller, as I don't like to be restricted to, or tie up, the TV. Some questions, I don't think it's been announced yet, but I figured I'd ask...

1. Can you play original Wii games strictly on the tablet controller screen?

2. If yes, have they mentioned anything as far as how controlling the games would work? I mean, with games that support the classic controller, like Xenoblade, I imagine it'd be easy to just use the buttons on the tablet controller. But what about something like Mario Galaxy or Wii Sports, that use motion control?
---
"Reach out your hands, out for the ones who need it when times get rough. Times will get tough, just get up again." -Flaw
#2New LinkPosted 4/20/2012 10:52:00 AM(edited)
From what we know about the controller, and the way that the games were designed, it would be safe to assume that Wii games will only appear on the TV, unless newer games have the option in mind.

The games are coded to use the infrared emitter called the sensor bar. The camera in the controller sees the two diodes and judges movement accordingly. Without the emitter it could have no reference point. The games aren't coded to make use of the new controller... And lack the hardware to do most things it would normally do. nintendo doesn't really have the reputation to half-ass things, and adding the capability for the games that make use of the cc only wouldn't really be cost effective.

I might be proven horribly wrong though, just the way I see it.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#31shadetail1Posted 4/20/2012 11:04:42 AM
Wii games appearing on the WiiU controller screen is *highly* unlikely. Games have to actually be coded to take advantage of available hardware, and for obvious reasons no Wii games are coded to take advantage of the WiiU controller screen.

To change that, Nintendo would have to figure out how to kludge up some kind of software emulation, which would almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth. After all, it wouldn't just require sending the game image to the screen, it would also require getting the Wii Remote to interface properly with that screen. That would mean finding a way to either use the IR pointer or work around the inability to use it, and so on and so forth.

The effort just wouldn't be worth it.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#4TwilightbanePosted 4/20/2012 11:06:18 AM
Classic controller motion :p it is just waggling for those games anyhow. Why not shake the classic controller itself? Btw what i just said was made up, but a good idea.
---
Psn:twili23 Incoming(insert word) from the rear. Drop altitude!
Above the Gamefaqs(Internet) Kongrabulaishuns.
#5PoweranimalsPosted 4/20/2012 11:41:21 AM
You can use the regular Wii controller on the WiiU apparently so there's really no need to implement those games into the tablet.
#6sergecross73(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 11:50:34 AM
Yeah, I really wasn't sure how Wii-mote/motion control type stuff would work, but I thought it'd be simple enough to adapt classic controller games, again, like Xenoblade, which have no motion control, and just map the buttons to the buttons of the tablet, no different than playing a PS1 game on a PSP or something. But even if that were to be true, I suppose it would get complicated with which games were/weren't compatible, which would be confusing to the more casual side of their userbase...

It's too bad to see consensus is against this. But it also sounds like it hasn't been confirmed one way or another for sure by Nintendo, so maybe there will be a surprise come E3...
---
"Reach out your hands, out for the ones who need it when times get rough. Times will get tough, just get up again." -Flaw
#7sergecross73(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 11:53:51 AM
@Poweranimal - Yeah, I know. It's just, it's pretty common where I'm living at the moment, for there to be many other people who want to use the TV, and I don't like to go to other rooms and be anti-social, so it'd be nice if I could just use the tablet controller and not bog down a TV. I've got quite the backlog of original Wii games to play just for that reason....
---