How long until an emulator comes out for the Wii U?

#1Unhead_Posted 4/23/2012 2:52:46 PM
If it's just a little stronger than the Xbox 360/PS3, and Dolphin is 98% working on most Wii games, how long do you guys think until a reasonable emulator comes out for this console?

I say a good 3 months maybe, unless it was coded completely differently.

I'm only saying this because everyone I know is only interested about the Wii U for the inevitably awesome Super Smash Bros. this generation.
---
i7-2700k | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ | Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD, 16GB RAM | Corsair: AX850, H100, 650D
#2TwinrovusPosted 4/23/2012 2:57:36 PM
Don't get too excited about an emulator. We will probably see one for the xbox360/ps3 first. Dolphin was created so quickly because there was already a lot of knowledge about the gamecube. Since the wii is just a gamecube with a faster clock, all that knowledge was directly transferable. The same won't be true of the Wii U. It has a completely different architecture.
---
R.I.P. Weighted Companion Cube
#3Enigma149Posted 4/23/2012 2:58:43 PM
There aren't any (good) emulators out for the 360 and PS3, yet. Don't expect a Wii U emulator until we get at least one of those.
#4SolisPosted 4/23/2012 3:21:56 PM
Probably around 2 years to get an early/proof of concept emulator created, and then at least another 2 years after that before it's capable of reliably emulating any retail games with decent accuracy (at what speed though is definitely questionable). It depends on how complicated the architecture is and how difficult it will be to reverse engineer it, and how popular it is in the emulation scene.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#5LimblessQuasarPosted 4/23/2012 3:26:42 PM
What's the rule on emulators...? 10x the power, right? Well, John Carmack said last Quakecon PCs were about 10-20x (we can assume more like 10) more capable than consoles. So figure by this Fall...I don't believe PS2 emulation was really perfect until about 2010. Wii emulation was so fast partly due to outdated tech but also partly due to the benefits.

I'd say a Wii U emulator would be highly probable by 2016-17. I expect the 360 to be starting within the next few years. And the PS3 is using parts from different galaxies. So I don't see us conquering that one till we enter deep space, or whatever it's called.

But it really depends. For one, I know nothing of emulation first-hand, but for two, we simply do not know what will be inside the little white box.
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#6Board_hunter567Posted 4/23/2012 3:39:10 PM(edited)
Hard to say, but I'm not sure it will happen any time soon after it launches.

As far as I know, nobody has even tackled 360/PS3 emulation because it's just not viable at this point, so you can imagine how troublesome something like the Wii U would be with it's stronger and additional hardware.

You also need detailed descriptions and documentation of the hardware in order to really make an efficient emulator (and most emulators are all about efficiency), which is also why we haven't even seen traces of 360/PS3 emulation even if PC hardware is strong enough to emulate it.
#7Unhead_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 3:47:18 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Hard to say, but I'm not sure it will happen any time soon after it launches.

As far as I know, nobody has even tackled 360/PS3 emulation because it's just not viable at this point, so you can imagine how troublesome something like the Wii U would be with it's stronger and additional hardware.

You also need detailed descriptions and documentation of the hardware in order to really make an efficient emulator (and most emulators are all about efficiency), which is also why we haven't even seen traces of 360/PS3 emulation even if PC hardware is strong enough to emulate it.

Well I have seen some early builds of Xbox 360 emulators, and they seem to be coming along quickly.

As for the Wii U emulation, I noted that they said it would be better than current consoles, but by the time Haswell CPU's come out, they might just blow away the Wii U's hardware. Moore's Law comes into effect as well, but, I see that computing power is really increasing faster and faster each year, so maybe we will see emulators even faster than we anticipated.

Just my two cents, plus, I remember having a really good PS2 emulator back in '08, so I don't know where that one guy got 2010 for a good one.
---
i7-2700k | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ | Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD, 16GB RAM | Corsair: AX850, H100, 650D
#8LimblessQuasarPosted 4/23/2012 4:02:52 PM
Unhead_ posted...
Just my two cents, plus, I remember having a really good PS2 emulator back in '08, so I don't know where that one guy got 2010 for a good one.

Maybe it was 08, my memory is pretty foggy - and I've never touched one myself. Like I said in my post, I was just using second-hand info. The point was just that in general, it takes about the life of the generation and a little more to get a good emulator, and seems to take more than that to nail everything down.

When did Dolphin start getting good?
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#9Board_hunter567Posted 4/23/2012 5:03:52 PM(edited)
Unhead_ posted...
Well I have seen some early builds of Xbox 360 emulators, and they seem to be coming along quickly.

Really? That's interesting. I haven't seen any myself, only an April Fool's day joke.

As for the Wii U emulation, I noted that they said it would be better than current consoles, but by the time Haswell CPU's come out, they might just blow away the Wii U's hardware. Moore's Law comes into effect as well, but, I see that computing power is really increasing faster and faster each year, so maybe we will see emulators even faster than we anticipated.

True, but it's not just about the hardware being stronger, it's the complexity of the hardware (like the Cell processor) and figuring out how to get things like the Upad to work. This is where documentation comes in and why things like the original Xbox haven't been emulated yet.
And I forgot about game encryption, that can take a while to crack.

LimblessQuasar posted...
When did Dolphin start getting good?

After it went open-source, so somewhere around 2008-09, and it didn't start to get really good until 2010, and now it just keeps getting better.
PS2 emulation has actually been fairly decent since around 2007 I think.
#10blunderminePosted 4/23/2012 4:31:45 PM
It'll be tough to get a computer to talk to a tablet which would be necessary.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?