Why do people here cry for Star Fox and F-Zero but not....

#41omegaslash14Posted 7/11/2012 5:25:11 PM
FenderMaster posted...
Starwars4J posted...
FenderMaster posted...
I bet Bioshock, Half Life, Red Dead Redemption Portal, the Batman Arkham games, Valkyria Chronicles etc will still be remembered in 25 years time.

Half Life and Portal maybe, but by more niche audiences than Mario, Zelda, etc. And they will never be as big. Everyone has played a Mario game, everyone has played a Zelda game. Plenty of people have not played Red Dead Redemption, or are only aware of the existence of the Batman games. I'm talking penetrance in the gaming audience, how many people will remember, how positively they will be remembered, etc. And besides being polished and fun, we have to remember that one of the big reasons people love the big name IPs (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sonic) is because at some point or another they really revolutionized gaming in some way, brought a huge WOW factor. The closest you get to that in anything you mentioned is Half Life, but even that series seems to have garnered some negative feelings from the fans due to the series being on an indefinite hiatus.

Nintendo could make IP's that could if they wanted. They have the budgets, the resources, the talent... But they're extremeley risk adverse. They'd rather try out new IP's as low risk, low budget or portable games rather than give them the time and resources they need to be truly great. Pikmin and Xenoblade are obvious exceptions, but they probably will be forgotten in 25 years time.

So you think Red Dead Redemption won't be forgotten in 25 years, but Pikmin and Xenoblade will be? That's...quite an interesting opinion you have there. Pikmin is already over a decade old and people have been dying for another entry in the series, and Xenoblade is being hailed nearly universally as the savior and future of the JRPG genre. RDR is regarded as...a pretty good FPS. And that's it. But hey, you know what they say about opinions.

Only 2 million people have played Pikmin. Many millions more have played all the games I listed. If more people buy and play them, then that's more people to remember them

RDR is not an fps. It's a western sandbox game, I will be remembered by 5 million people. Double the number that played Pikmin 1 or 2.

I don't think Xenoblade will go down in history as the saviour of, or a revolution in JRPG's. Rather it will be remembered of as a high quality JRPG that was released at a time when JRPG's quality was at it's lowest point in decades.

Think of it as The Black Keys. Not actually an amazing band, but still a very good band at a time when mainstream music is particularly bad. Compared to their horrible contempories, they may well seem like the saviours of modern music, but in truth they aren't one of the great legendary bands.

RDR came out this gen on two systems with a much larger user base than the gamecube. But both RDR and Pikmin will be rembered in 25 years unless every person who played those games somehow died, but RDR wont be any near as popular as it is now, and it depends on how well pikmin 3 does if it will keep going.

But Nintendo has plenty of good IPs and they need to breath some life into some of them before trying to make new IPs that their fans wont give a crap about if it means ignoring established franchises. Im honestly going to ignore any new IP that nintendo comes up with til they announce something about a custom robo game.
---
3DS FC: 0817-3744-5436 Name: Mugen
Add Meh
#42sonic777Posted 7/11/2012 5:34:32 PM
Starwars4J posted...
To be fair, NOBODY makes games as good as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. anymore. As good as Beyond and The Last of Us looked, do you think anyone will remember them in 25 years? Probably not. It's hard to make a series that people LOVE, characters that people LOVE and remember. It's amazing that Nintendo has as many as they do. Sure, we'd love to see more, but let's be real here, we don't see that kind of thing from anyone anymore.

They basically have Mario and Link.

Metroid and Fox are niche audiences now. I don't even think people would recognize Samus unless they knew it was her.

Franchises that will be remembered in 25 years time:

Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto
Sonic the Hedgehog
Call of Duty
Madden
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat

POSSIBLE
Little Big Planet
God of War

It's not just Nintendo franchises that make well-known and recognizable characters. Did Wii owners get to play MK9? No? Huh, how about that. Just because a Wii owner doesn't get to play 4 out of those 7 franchises (and the 3 they DO get are watered down to nothing for Wii, maybe not Wii U, but yes, on Wii) doesn't mean they won't get remembered.
#43IcedEarthaholicPosted 7/11/2012 8:34:56 PM
PhaseBlack posted...

No they arent, games simply sell better over there for Nintendo.

You're....kidding right? Games sell better in Europe than in North America? **LOL** Dude, you're delusional. Look at Xenoblade's sales in North America vs. Europe, in North America, the game sold about 50K more than it did in Europe. Skyward Sword? Another prime example, same thing. Dude, I could easily go all day with this one, but instead I'll just say this, you're nuts!
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#44GigantLuffyPosted 7/11/2012 9:15:44 PM(edited)
I will be remembered by 5 million people.

Damn! What the hell could you have done?!

EDIT: I don't care. I'm gonna sig that typo; it made me laugh for a long while.
---
Judge Magistrate and Lancer of the Wii-U Kingdom!
Currently Playing: Ys 7 & Sonic Adventure
#45WesfanboyneverPosted 7/11/2012 9:34:27 PM
I'm surprised some people think Pikmin series has a lack of reception. The two games out so far are very solid, and to a certain degree the franchise is becoming more and more known to people (Brawl being a big a help).
---
What's to say really?
#46mini_blightPosted 7/12/2012 12:24:22 AM
PhaseBlack posted...
The thing that I love about PlayStation is that they can resurrect older series like Twisted Metal and Sly Cooper while still giving new IPs like Starhawk, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, etc.

Haha. You love that mockery of a revival passing itself off as Twisted Metal? Isn't Starhawk a part of the Warhawk universe? Yet you pass it off as a new IP? Beyond is just another Heavy Rain.

Nintendo can learn from Sony how to please it's audience, sure you cant please everyone but Mario and Zelda just seem like thats their "baby bottle" that they give their fans to suck on and distract them to shut them up and make them stop crying for a while.

Nintendo already knows how to lose money. If they want to know how to file for backruptcy, then they can call Sony.

darkqueenhelba posted...
Isn't Uncharted just a fancy Tomb Raider? I've never really bothered with the franchise.

Uncharted is the casual take on Tomb Raider. lol
#47PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2012 10:40:25 AM
Starwars4J posted...
And yet the majority of the gaming world disagrees with you.

Your delusional world where gaming is Nintendo above anything isnt the real gaming world, first party games from Sony hit Nintendo's past first party quality support and even Microsoft has Halo

It has been the subject of severe criticism, the majority of praise coming from "well it looks nice". Heavy Rain and Beyond will be about as well remembered as Secret of Evermore if they're lucky.

Everything popular gets criticized in one way or another, the fact is that no game hit the level of emotion that Heavy Rain hit. If it wasnt such a huge success and loved by the majority of gamers who played it then there would be no hype for Beyond: Two Souls. It will be remembered for many years, it's a piece of gaming history for what it did

No....no not even close. Uncharted games while considered good, hardly defined the generation. If anything defined this **** generation it was Call of Duty and the rest of the boring FPS messes that constituted most of what was out there. Uncharted games were good, but nothing special. I mean think about if, we're talking about brand recognition...go to a gamer on the street, or even your average person and describe how Nathan Drake looks, then ask them to tell you about the games he's in. Good luck. Average white make in a realistic shooter/adventure game more known for its cinematic cutscenes than gameplay. Not really helpful to keep the franchise memorable for years to come.

Uncharted is considered a masterful series, excelling in every single area including writing which Nintendo knows nothing about. Ask any hardcore gamer and developer who are the top developers in the industry and they will agree with it being Naughty Dog. Call of Duty is the indisputable top series of gaming right now, but it in no way solely defines this gen. Maybe it defines the Xbox 360 since that is the place where people drool over FPS games, but on PS3 it is a whole different story. The PS3 will be remembered for having exclusives and great software support, Id say easily Uncharted, God of War, LittlebigPlanet, etc. define this generation along with other popular series like Batman: Arkham and so on.

Are you kidding me? Uncharted 3 was featured on Jimmy Fallon, there were tons of adverts such as the Uncharted 3 subway commercial. Id easily say anyone who knows ANYTHING about gaming knows who Nathan Drake is. I dont expect as many people who know who Mario is, Nintendo has made dozens of spin-offs just to have "Mario" it the title and he's been around since the 80's but to say Uncharted or Nathan Drake isnt popular because some grandma doesnt know him is pathetic.

Uncharted 3 released in the same month as Zelda: Skyward Sword and ended up selling more than a million copies than Skyward Sword did. I guess people must not know who Link is

But hey, you can dream, right?

The irony, it's too much
---
PSVita & 3DS
#48TerotrousPosted 7/12/2012 10:40:59 AM
Xenoblade was eons ago?
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Biker Mice From Mars"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#49PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2012 10:44:00 AM
darkqueenhelba posted...
Isn't Uncharted just a fancy Tomb Raider? I've never really bothered with the franchise.

Uncharted and Tomb Raider had similar premises, completely different executions, now Tomb Raider is molding itself after Uncharted.

People who call Uncharted a Tomb Raider clone are the ones most bitter about not being ale to play it
---
PSVita & 3DS
#50darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/12/2012 10:46:28 AM
Standards are irrelevant to the topic at hand. Regardless of a person's standards doesn't dismiss something's existence.

A new IP is a NEW IP!

^What part of that don't you get? Or do you just like playing troll? Either way, people are laughing at you...not with you.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793