Aren't exernal hard drives bad for gaming?

#11uwnimPosted 7/22/2012 7:47:25 AM
KouenZan posted...
strongo9 posted...
KouenZan posted...
Yes because it's an extra cost

Lol, no. A 360 with the 250GB internal hard drive costs $100 more than the model a 4GB drive. With $100 you could get a 1GB-2GB external hard drive. With the Wii U the internal hard drive is only 4GB and the console is much cheaper, leaving the purchaser plenty of extra cash to get a good external hard drive and/or a game if they want it. Nintendo made a good choice in regards to this matter.

What? Wii U does not come with external hdd

He didn't say it did.
---
I want a pet Lavos Spawn.
[Order of the Cetaceans: Phocoena dioptrica]
#12KouenZanPosted 7/22/2012 7:50:05 AM
uwnim posted...
KouenZan posted...
strongo9 posted...
KouenZan posted...

Lol, no. A 360 with the 250GB internal hard drive costs $100 more than the model a 4GB drive. With $100 you could get a 1GB-2GB external hard drive. With the Wii U the internal hard drive is only 4GB and the console is much cheaper, leaving the purchaser plenty of extra cash to get a good external hard drive and/or a game if they want it. Nintendo made a good choice in regards to this matter.

He didn't say it did.

that's why it is an extra cost
---
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
#13P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 7/22/2012 7:52:45 AM
KouenZan posted...
strongo9 posted...
KouenZan posted...

Nope, it has built in flash memory. You can get any SD card or any external USB harddrive though.
---
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. A man dies when he is forgotten."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_lDpKDVoQ&feature=colike
#14Gaming KingPosted 7/22/2012 7:52:52 AM
4 gigs is plenty if you're not being stupid and buying full price retail games digitally. Honestly, just use it for save files and digital-only games and you're probably golden, at least for a while.
---
Number of people who would "totally [censored] Penny" from Advance Wars DOR: 17
LOL WUT? Now we can use an alternate font?
#15ArabrockermanXPosted 7/22/2012 7:53:50 AM
nurnberg posted...
I think there are some sort of limitation to external hard drives, but I might be wrong. For exemple, on a PS3, you can only install games and save games on an internal hard drive if I remember correctly.

WARHAWK!!!

That's an intentional limitation by Sony. I bet the Wii U will have some limitations on its external drives to prevent piracy but I don't think they will be that strict because of the limited internal memory.

On the bright side if the internal flash memory is large enough it could provide quite a few benefits to gaming.
#16uwnimPosted 7/22/2012 7:55:17 AM
KouenZan posted...
uwnim posted...
KouenZan posted...
strongo9 posted...
KouenZan posted...

He didn't say it did.

that's why it is an extra cost

I think he was saying that internal hard drives are also extra costs and you get less GB per dollar, so externals are cheaper.
---
I want a pet Lavos Spawn.
[Order of the Cetaceans: Phocoena dioptrica]
#17ArabrockermanXPosted 7/22/2012 7:59:04 AM
Gaming King posted...
4 gigs is plenty if you're not being stupid and buying full price retail games digitally. Honestly, just use it for save files and digital-only games and you're probably golden, at least for a while.

Bull ****. Games use internal memory to help with load times and smooth out the experience... That's why flash memory has many advantages over HDDs.
#18LinetrixPosted 7/22/2012 8:07:38 AM
Gaming King posted...

Trolling? Four gigabytes is nothing. You'll have to replace the HDD even if you don't download anything at all. All the patches and game installs and new firmwares will eat all the 4 gigs like breakfast.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#19P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 7/22/2012 8:18:30 AM
I have a 360 with 20GB of storage. I only use two for anything other than full downloaded games.
---
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. A man dies when he is forgotten."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_lDpKDVoQ&feature=colike
#20arkazainPosted 7/22/2012 8:18:54 AM
Doesn't the Wii U come with 8GB though?
At least, that's how I remember it.