Will nintendo reclaim former glory with the Wii U?

#31Rome218Posted 7/29/2012 9:16:53 PM
When I was young, my parents called all video systems a Nintendo. It was so popular that it became synonymous with consoles. As much as N64 had some really good games, I think that is when they fell from grace to Sony. This gen it's really tied between 360 and PS3. I prefer 360 due to the on-line and the controller, but I think both are good systems.
#32chstarPosted 7/30/2012 1:08:57 AM
Rome218 posted...
When I was young, my parents called all video systems a Nintendo. It was so popular that it became synonymous with consoles. As much as N64 had some really good games, I think that is when they fell from grace to Sony. .

That's well said, a lot of these younger guys on these forums who are saying "the wii/ds generation of nintendo has been the best yet" clearly didn't grow up in nintendo's hay day.

Back in the day, as Rome pointed out, video games were nintendo. When people talked about nintendo they were talking about video games, the two names were synonymous. Nintendo's franchises were huge, they had cartoons, movies, and comics. It's hard to explain to these younger guys what it was like, so they don't know any better, and make comments like wii/ds has been a great generation for nintendo. they just don't know what it was like for those of us who grew up in the late 80's and early 90's. And honestly you can't really "explain" the feel of one generation on a subject to another generation anymore than our parents could explain hippies and the 60's to us. (we can read about it, and get an idea, but we'll never really know what it was like). It's a similar situation here.

So to answer your question topic creator, no, likely we will never see nintendo dominate the video game market as much as they did back then. That time has passed.

It doesn't matter what numbers these younger guys post to try and make nintendo sound like its doing better than ever. But it will never reclaim its former glory. Back in the day, 90% of video game users had a nintendo, (this is prior to the genesis's release). So it was no wonder nintendo was so popular and the only name in video games. This will never happen again. Clearly the ps3 and xbox (and to some extent apple) have an incredible chunk of the market as well, giving nintendo, at the very best what? 34% of households that have a console machine. Nintendo's prime is gone.

It's fun to think about if nintendo could ever have the fame it once had in the late 80's but I am afraid that time has long since passed.
---
tradegamesnow.com -a good place to trade games for free with lots of members to trade with
#33squatch22Posted 7/30/2012 1:14:05 AM
I grew up with NES, SNES and N64... and I still think Nintendo is making great games :)
---
3DS bashing is not considered trolling, but being on the Vita board IS considered trolling.
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4797/rehash2.jpg
#34chstarPosted 7/30/2012 1:25:54 AM
squatch22 posted...
I grew up with NES, SNES and N64... and I still think Nintendo is making great games :)

of course, nintendo still makes great games. I love their recent mario galaxy works. I wasn't suggesting they've lost the ability to make games. Simply that, the days of nintendo being the only thing on childrens minds, the days of zelda and mario cartoons or actual movies and comics, the days of nintendo not just being the only name in video games, but being video games are over. Like I said, for those of us who grew up in the late 80's, 90% of households that had a video game system, had a nintendo. Nintendo will never experience that kind of share, that kind of boom ever again. they are just a name in video games now.

I've recently been stationed in Thule AFB greenland, which is a boring wasteland, so I've found myself browsing forums lately to stave off boredom. and learning of the recent Wii U, I've been browsing these forums for a little while now. And it's just obvious that most these nintendo fans grew up after nintendo's prime. Which is why they are able to say things like "the Wii/ds generation has been nintendo's best" with legitimacy. because by the numbers, it doesn't look to bad. but for those of us who are old enough to remember, we know this is nothing compared to how it used to be.

That said, it's not like I expected much else. It's not like I was expecting these particular forums to be made up of 26 year olds and up. So I understand its just that most of these younger guys on these forums just don't know any better. But I just wanted to chime in and let the topic creator know I know what he was talking about, and that likely no, we will never see nintendo rise to what it was before. A lot of people seem to have been jumping on the topic creator unnecessarily, when really it just stems from their young misunderstanding of what nintendo was.
---
tradegamesnow.com -a good place to trade games for free with lots of members to trade with
#35P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 7/30/2012 8:10:41 AM
As I said on the previous page, the way a company is viewed is entirely subjective. It doesn't matter that you or I grew up with the Golden Era of gaming, the only thing that is OBJECTIVE are numbers. Now, if you were to ask me what I think subjectively, I couldn't tell you because I don't judge and put worth on things so, to me, all generations that I've been able to play games are just as great as the others. I will, however, use statistics to compare a company's success or worth because you can't argue against solid numbers. Remember, your preference is only opinion and doesn't really mean anything.
---
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. A man dies when he is forgotten."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_lDpKDVoQ&feature=colike
#36EndgamePosted 7/30/2012 8:45:00 AM
no

Nintendo is irredeemable
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#37Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2012 9:31:19 AM
of course, nintendo still makes great games. I love their recent mario galaxy works. I wasn't suggesting they've lost the ability to make games. Simply that, the days of nintendo being the only thing on childrens minds, the days of zelda and mario cartoons or actual movies and comics, the days of nintendo not just being the only name in video games, but being video games are over.

Pretty much this. Fanboys will continue to cling to the past, and throw around the word opinion as if it is a weapon that hides them from reality.
---
The official (elected by users of the wii hardware board) President of GameFAQS Wii hardware Board as of 11/5/08
#38VampiricDragon_Posted 7/30/2012 9:42:04 AM
Nintendo continually makes great games

not just mario, zelda or metroid

But pokemon, fire emblem, pikmin, warioware, ect there 1 off rpg efforts, there publishing efforts like layton and dragon quest, glory of heracles,
#39Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2012 9:48:04 AM

But pokemon, fire emblem, pikmin, warioware, ect there 1 off rpg efforts, there publishing efforts like layton and dragon quest, glory of heracles,

Sadly when it comes to home consoles Sony and MS continue to outdo them.

I really do want nintendo to do better but I think for that to happen us nintendo fans need to stop accepting mediocrity.
---
The official (elected by users of the wii hardware board) President of GameFAQS Wii hardware Board as of 11/5/08
#40SentinoxPosted 7/30/2012 10:06:34 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

Sadly when it comes to home consoles Sony and MS continue to outdo them.

I really do want nintendo to do better but I think for that to happen us nintendo fans need to stop accepting mediocrity.

Sony and MS outdo them consoles wise, but when it comes to games, Nintendo is king
---
My defense against the evils of the internet. Flame shield, Bridge, Flame throwers(for trolls). and with these i am safe on the message boards