Why NSMB and not a New Super Mario World?

#1Con5005Posted 7/29/2012 8:39:43 PM(edited)
It was the only 2d platformer mario game with bunch of features that were lost with it.

-We could run up walls to get to new areas

-Fly and bounce around with cape to extend flight

-Had those yellow blocks that would spin and we could ground pound into for that cool noise.

-Yoshi's(though in NSMB Wii/U) We grew them to gain power's like fireball , quake like ground pound , and their only ability to fly with wings. if you had the cape you could pretty much glide with them and cape flying ability had them in mind.We could also jump off of them for a boost to platforms or to save ourselves.(There was bushes with food to feed yoshi and didn't need to rely on enemies.)

-You could walk back and explore good amount of stages to find hidden parts of like find that switch that we jump on and carry to reveal doors and other things.

-We had the P-Balloon , the thing that made us fat and we could fly around get coins while flying to higher platforms and even just wait for it to run out to land down koopa's.

-Didn't follow the 8 world but had more variety in stage design and had a lot more stages in each world and don't forget the bonus worlds (Star and Special world which would make nine worlds.)

-We didn't skip around like NSMB but in doing things we could find ways to more stages and etc.(Boo houses had like 3-4 routes to different stages.)

- It had monsters in more formation like flying and even bunch of patterns(stage was made up of jumping on them to get around and this feature was in older games too ,well jumping on monsters to get around.)

-Bouncing music notes(though in older games) and the sliding platform to get around lava areas etc.

-The Flag poles that we flew to save point for level and going to the end of stage for that catchy music then Mario gives off peace and walks off stage followed by screen fading to black to show stage select.

-The catchy and upbeat music(not saying i don't like NSMB but I like the music from the older games and not just Super Mario world itself.)

-Miyamoto himself once said that it was his favorite game but though he probably says that to every Mario at times

There is more I could mention but I would be going on forever and fact that game was made with very few people compared huge teams that they need today show that few people had more creativity oozing out of them.
#2NyminixPosted 7/29/2012 9:48:10 PM
It'd be nice to have one, but NSMBU from the looks of it is resembling SMW quite a bit.
#32wingedangelPosted 7/29/2012 9:52:26 PM
Nyminix posted...
It'd be nice to have one, but NSMBU from the looks of it is resembling SMW quite a bit.

Even copy pasted one of the bosses. Not that that's a bad thing, I loved that boss.
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
#4NyminixPosted 7/29/2012 9:53:31 PM
2wingedangel posted...
Nyminix posted...

Even copy pasted one of the bosses. Not that that's a bad thing, I loved that boss.

Is it the boss where the walls close in? :)
#5Con5005(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2012 9:55:18 PM(edited)
Nyminix posted...

There is still much more that they could take from it to give fresh new experience and more that they could add to blend in with it without changing the formula.
#6AkaneJonesPosted 7/29/2012 9:57:18 PM
-We could run up walls to get to new areas
-Fly and bounce around with cape to extend flight
-Had those yellow blocks that would spin and we could ground pound into for that cool noise.
-We had the P-Balloon , the thing that made us fat and we could fly around get coins while flying to higher platforms and even just wait for it to run out to land down koopa's
-Yoshi's...

1) It was a feature of the corner block, but true wall jump invalidate it's necessity in design.

2) For the most part flight features change each game. We lost things from SMB3 in the transition. The SMW prototype was supposed to have the magic leaf and tail. In the end only NSMB2 actually return a flight power up to a 2D Mario, if we forget SMA4's inclusion of cape feather as a eReader bonus.

3) No, it had spin jump, the only way to ground pound was yoshi + yellow shell and Mario in flight + down. To get the spinning blocks they sacrificed the traditional smash brick. Although seeing levels with Spin Blocks use in design would be nice.

4) Mostly not needed though style of play has it's points. I wonder if those blimping baby yoshi's wil be used like that.

5) I'm not sure why Nintendo has Bogarted Yoshi's use in level he's not native too. In all honest with out blue or yellow koopa troopa there isn't a use for Yoshi's other powers. Plus one need remember the ground pound is invalided by a normal ground pound, and if Yoshi eats fire he spits it back out now so only blue has special power unused.

-You could walk back and explore good amount of stages to find hidden parts of like find that switch that we jump on and carry to reveal doors and other things.
-Didn't follow the 8 world but had more variety in stage design and had a lot more stages in each world and don't forget the bonus worlds
-We didn't skip around like NSMB but in doing things we could find ways to more stages and etc.(Boo houses had like 3-4 routes to different stages.)

1) I think this mostly goes into how secret exits have been design in the NSMB games, SMW had both keys and secondary exits. I don't understand why the recent games all needing the classic flag pole. They should spice it up with SMB3 card panel box, SMW moving vault goal, SMW key and lock, and ever present defeat enemy clear item.

2) Yes and no, it's mostly an issue with how the overworld has been handled or late.

3) No there are only two exits in each SMW level. The switch up occurred when a; the warp took you to part of world "9"(World 8/Star Road) instead of shotting you strait to the next world and b; they decided to spit routes at world 3(Vanilla Dome) sending you to different parts of World 4(Cookie Mountain).

- It had monsters in more formation like flying and even bunch of patterns(stage was made up of jumping on them to get around and this feature was in older games too ,well jumping on monsters to get around.)

Its not that, they sacrificed a lot of classic enemies.

Lets see Little Goomba, Hammer Bro, Blooper, Standard Red and Green Piranha Plants, Para-Goomba, Micro-Goomba, Pile Driver Micro-Goomba, Buster Beetle, Para-Beetle, Venus Fire Trap, Nipper, Ptooie, Boss Bass, Big Bertha, Baby Cheep, Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, Sledge Bro, Jelectro, Chain Chomp, Fire Chomp, Spike, Rockey Wrench, Hot Foot, Stretch, Lava Lotus, Blooper Nanny, and Spiny Cheep-Cheep(not counting giant enemies, and the shoe)

Sure some had analogous things Burps(mislabeled Cheep-cheep) filled in for Spiny Cheep-cheep, Jumping Piranha Plants took over for both regular and firey ones, but it still felt like some things were glaringly omitted. Mind you the upgraded koopa troopa helped, and so did the variety and toughness of Charging Chucks. They are actually tougher than standard Mario bosses, yah one becomes three and each take three hits and are erratic. But still...

cont,
#7Omar3256Posted 7/29/2012 9:59:31 PM
There hasn't been a good 2D Mario game since Super Mario World in my opinion.
#8ElectricMolePosted 7/29/2012 10:12:48 PM
Omar3256 posted...

It was the best pack-in game ever.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#9AkaneJonesPosted 7/29/2012 10:15:23 PM

-Bouncing music notes(though in older games) and the sliding platform to get around lava areas etc.
-The Flag poles that we flew to save point for level and going to the end of stage for that catchy music then Mario gives off peace and walks off stage followed by screen fading to black to show stage select.
-The catchy and upbeat music(not saying i don't like NSMB but I like the music from the older games and not just Super Mario world itself.)
-Miyamoto himself once said that it was his favorite game but though he probably says that to every Mario at times

1) I am personally baffled by the decision to texture note block as green and white check blocks in NSMBWii. There must have been a reason, because it was a bit of a spit on Mario Block iconography. As for those move platforms technically they are still there, Lava rafts and sinking/jostling platforms. It just they didn't bother with the rising falling underground. Actually I'm kind of waiting for a remix of SMW's underground theme.

2) That was built into the main music theme. You would need Mario Levels to use a remix of the SMW Ground theme first. Plus the midway check point is stiled after the main goal post, see earlier comment about goals.

3) You mean Galaxy's re use of SMW's Athletic theme? Like I said I'd like a remix of the SMW Underground theme for a change. But we have gotten the Athletic Theme, Ghost House Theme, and Castle Themes remixed at various points.

4) Moot point, he said that allot and people miss quote him out of context.
#10Con5005(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2012 10:23:24 PM
ElectricMole posted...
Omar3256 posted...

It was the best pack-in game ever.

Best game I never did pay for.(well the only one ever.)