Is it possible to play this system without hooking it up to the tv?

#21tizzywilkillyouPosted 8/14/2012 4:29:39 PM
Jackal posted...
The basis for my answer is that the Wii U has a disc drive and all of the storage mediums are either inside or connect to it. The Gamepad can't play disc unless some new info has been released that I haven't heard of. That wouldn't be surprising since I don't follow the "news" on this console much anymore. So one would assume that is the disc drive or onboard storage would have to be running to run the game so that it could be streamed to the Gamepad. Wouldn't you think so?

So for some games you may not need the TV but as of right now I would think that the console itself would need to be on. That's not to incomprehensible, is it?

wat

Nobody has been trying to argue that a game will be playable with the CONSOLE TURNED OFF... o_O

The question is whether a TV needs to be physically hooked up. Of course the console needs to be on. o_O
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#22Absolutezero93Posted 8/14/2012 4:32:17 PM
DrRM posted...
Jackal posted...
dunkis posted...
I always thought it'd be cool to use it as a semi-portable system. I could hook it up in any car with the proper adapter and play high quality games on the go.

It's called the PSP/VITA.

he say HIGH QUALITY games, not eye candy games.

:D

BBUUURRNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---
I'm not looking for help, I'm complaining. This is GameFAQs, isn't it? ~ Shad0wflare
#23JackalPosted 8/14/2012 4:54:55 PM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
Jackal posted...
The basis for my answer is that the Wii U has a disc drive and all of the storage mediums are either inside or connect to it. The Gamepad can't play disc unless some new info has been released that I haven't heard of. That wouldn't be surprising since I don't follow the "news" on this console much anymore. So one would assume that is the disc drive or onboard storage would have to be running to run the game so that it could be streamed to the Gamepad. Wouldn't you think so?

So for some games you may not need the TV but as of right now I would think that the console itself would need to be on. That's not to incomprehensible, is it?

wat

Nobody has been trying to argue that a game will be playable with the CONSOLE TURNED OFF... o_O

The question is whether a TV needs to be physically hooked up. Of course the console needs to be on. o_O

Jackal posted...
I would think that the console would have to be on to run the game and stream it to the Gamepad. The Gamepad alone can't do those things. But it may be possible to turn on the system and run everything from the GP with the TV off. But I wouldn't expect that of too many games.

TV off or not connected, there is no detected display. Whether or not the GP can fully run the game will depend on how the game is made. Some may, most may not. I clearly stated that it may be possible. In my first post I said that I didn't think so. I never told him that it could or could not.

undisputed2386 posted...
I remember during Iwata's Nintendo Direct before E3, he mentioned that the Wii U Gamepad can be used even when the console is turned off. The Gamepad can be turned on and used as a TV remote, or even to turn on the console. Now that I think of it, I think that's all it does when the console is off...my mistake.

This is why I spoke about the system being on.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak
#24ElectricMolePosted 8/14/2012 5:37:39 PM
DrRM posted...
Jackal posted...
dunkis posted...
I always thought it'd be cool to use it as a semi-portable system. I could hook it up in any car with the proper adapter and play high quality games on the go.

It's called the PSP/VITA.

he say HIGH QUALITY games, not eye candy games.

:D

you're saying wii u games wont have beautiful graphics then?

news to me.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!