CVG: ZombiU Isn't Destined to Dissapoint Like Red Steel

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 8/27/2012 7:04:02 AM
Funny game,ZombiU. Not funny ha ha, obviously - although we did have to stifle a giggle when a pop-up zombie made one of our grandiloquent chums at Edge Magazine do a shriek in his mouth - but funny in how it goes about getting the most from Wii U.

As a brand-sparkling new IP from Ubisoft (if you ignore the 1986 Amstrad CPC adventure game Zombi,natch), ZombiU has invited inevitable comparisons with Red Steel,which was seen as Wii's great hardcore hope during its own launch window period back in 2006.

ZombiU however has learned well from its forerunner's mistakes. While Red Steel struggled valiantly against the Wii controller's limitations - leading to flaily swordplay and dizzying cameras -ZombiU actively works with the limitations of the GamePad controller, and in doing so it sets a precedent that future Wii U action games would do well to follow.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364812/previews/zombiu-a-survival-horror-epic-in-the-making/

While ZombiU isn't destined to disappoint like Red Steel ultimately did, we can't shake the feeling that ZombiU is unlikely to go down as a classic. While the ideas behind it are crisp,the game design seems restricted by the insta-death mechanic. It's rare to encounter more than three zombies at a time,so you never get the sense of being overwhelmed or the sense of scale you get in,say,Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead. Furthermore,the melee attacks and guns feel slightly limp,but there's still time for Ubisoft Monpellier to give that a shot in the arm before release.

For now we'll have to wait and see if the final result is strong like Romero's own Zombi Master "Big Daddy",or ends up as just another pile of decaying undead flesh.

Note:: I liked Red Steel :c
---
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. A man dies when he is forgotten."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_lDpKDVoQ&feature=colike
#2hellbringherPosted 8/27/2012 7:05:30 AM
Omg I know right. Like woooo
---
Shoot red barrels and propane tanks to blow up your enemies.
#3Soanevalcke6Posted 8/27/2012 7:07:03 AM
I don't think hellbringher get's the point of Message Boards.

Anyway, it looks like a good game, just not one that I will Enjoy.
---
Qualities I look for in Games: Good Story, Atmosphere, Music, and Exploration
I'm A Genre Pro. Proud Member of the Metroid fanbase.
#4SentinoxPosted 8/27/2012 7:12:11 AM
Cool. Hope I hope it is good too.
---
CEO of the PlayStation Vita Cinema Snack Fun Land. Employees 2
#5cavebear56Posted 8/27/2012 7:13:16 AM
I'll still wait and see as I like surviving (a personal favorite pass time of mine) and I like zombie stuff.

I found Red Steel to be mediocre at best (I'm being generous).

Liked Red Steel 2 though.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#6P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 8:26:50 AM
I didn't like Steel 2 as much as the first. The controls were great but the western style and bland character development wasn't helpful. I also didn't like constantly backtracking for new missions.
---
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. A man dies when he is forgotten."
#7MelkacPosted 8/27/2012 8:29:41 AM
...So, is there anyone wondering if ZombiU will suck? I realized it will be great when I saw the heavy GP-game interaction.
#8Non_AdoPosted 8/27/2012 8:33:25 AM
"-ZombiU actively works with the limitations of the GamePad controller, and in doing so it sets a precedent that future Wii U action games would do well to follow."

Game pad confirmed to be limited?
#9P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 8:35:05 AM
Non_Ado posted...
"-ZombiU actively works with the limitations of the GamePad controller, and in doing so it sets a precedent that future Wii U action games would do well to follow."

Game pad confirmed to be limited?

Lol. Spin.
---
#10cavebear56Posted 8/27/2012 8:36:33 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
I didn't like Steel 2 as much as the first. The controls were great but the western style and bland character development wasn't helpful. I also didn't like constantly backtracking for new missions.

Ya I agree. The story was forgetable and I didn't like the backtracking either. It was the controls and gameplay that sold it on me.

Not a great game but I felt it was a huge step from the first game.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.