1 G Ram for games, 1 G Ram for system,,,

#1dscube79Posted 9/13/2012 12:33:38 PM
Never heard of two separate RAM,,, maybe the system ram so that it can load gameplay on tablets,,, someone have theory as to why 2G ram but separated use,,,,
---
Wii60
#2FoppePosted 9/13/2012 12:35:23 PM
1 GB dedicated for stuff in the background, like the Miiverse.
And in 2 years, they can split it so the game developers get another 512 MB to play around with.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3second2n0nePosted 9/13/2012 12:37:28 PM
Computers do this with graphics cards so maybe the one gig ram used in gameS is dedicated to the graphics card and the other is general purpose system ram
---
#4SolisPosted 9/13/2012 12:43:02 PM(edited)
1GB dedicated to the system seems a little excessive honestly. Even taking into account what functions the console will have running in the background, 20x-30x as much as what's needed by current consoles feels like a bit much. They must really be taking a worst case scenario for future features into account.

second2n0ne posted...
Computers do this with graphics cards so maybe the one gig ram used in gameS is dedicated to the graphics card and the other is general purpose system ram

No, the Wii U's RAM setup was reportedly 1GB dedicated only to system functions, and 1GB dedicated only to game/software use. The 1GB dedicated to game use would include memory used by the GPU.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#5KaiRyusakiPosted 9/13/2012 12:50:52 PM
is it really 1GB for system?

that seems odd. i feel like that stuff would be smaller than the main ram for the games

but the more ram the better
#6uber_guyPosted 9/13/2012 12:54:30 PM
Well it does support in game video chat. I suppose that would use a lot of ram
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#7SoaringDivePosted 9/13/2012 12:57:41 PM
uber_guy posted...

This. The reason why PS3 can't do cross-game voice chat is because it doesn't have enough RAM.
---
"Level up your life, every single day." ~Steve Kamb
#8AkaimizuPosted 9/13/2012 1:07:51 PM(edited)
Yes. The reason Nintendo is allocating that space for the System is exactly what some think. It's actually Nintendo learning from Microsoft since that system has a number of allocated resources for the system, allowing lots of concurrent background-activity to work unhindered while a gamer plays a game.

One reason why for every 360 game, you can do all sorts of things like Custom Soundtracks, Message and Voice chat options. Party Chat (with exception of Dark Souls, which did it only because Party Chat functionality can break the specific rules of the game and they don't want that capability supported directly on the same console without some 3rd party help. Of course, PC users can't be stopped from this, so I guess there goes that Purity they wanted.)

To this day, the only game system that can run all those threaded activities in its own memory space outside of the game, video watched, or music played, for every title and always connected, is the Xbox360. Vita is Sony's step closer to achieving that, but the dreaded "Network Activities Suspended" message that Sony allows games to do (and a number of them already do) kills that functionality on that system when it happens.

Nintendo Wii U wants to follow that aspect of 360's service. Good for them. It's about time someone stepped up to the plate to really be competitive for online service. However, there's a number of things I'm not sure the Wii U fully supports (all the time), so I wont get my hopes up too far. Still, it's very promising.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#9KaiRyusakiPosted 9/13/2012 1:09:18 PM
uber_guy posted...

holy crap really? when you say in-game, do you mean if the game support it, or you can video-chat using the "Home Menu" thing during any game?
#10AkaimizuPosted 9/13/2012 1:14:42 PM
I can't confirm that feature exactly, but it was shown to do something just like that in one of the promo Wii U videos. Particularly during the pre-E3 thing with Zombie U.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)