Reggie: on the Reason for encouraging Buying External Hard drives

#51mrivera889Posted 9/13/2012 5:56:49 PM
While on the subject of external hard drives......does anyone know if the Wii U has at least 1 USB 3.0 Port?
#52FuzzyJelloPosted 9/13/2012 6:09:27 PM
Those who want harddrives can get them themselves so we don't have to charge extra and offput those who don't.

The logic is simple and perfectly sound. We can begin ripping them apart when someone guestimates how much the controller costs, since that's the biggest price issue.

Marcster1994 posted...
I thought it would be like the Wii where you don't have to install the games on the disc?

We don't even know if the Wii U has a game data install option to begin, folks are just assuming it does and rightfully freaking because neither model will have space for more than a couple huge updates they are assuming will happen.
#53wh0_kn0wsPosted 9/13/2012 6:15:23 PM
FuzzyJello posted...
Those who want harddrives can get them themselves so we don't have to charge extra and offput those who don't.

The logic is simple and perfectly sound. We can begin ripping them apart when someone guestimates how much the controller costs, since that's the biggest price issue.

this, i have a 80 giga ps3 hard drive with about 60 i'll never use.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#54DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/13/2012 6:18:53 PM
mrivera889 posted...
While on the subject of external hard drives......does anyone know if the Wii U has at least 1 USB 3.0 Port?

I don't think it's been announced.
Here's hoping. That would be the difference between meh and amazing.
---
If a game aged poorly, odds are it was never good to begin with.
#55HyperSonicClonePosted 9/13/2012 6:24:22 PM
Rainy_David1 posted...
In other words "We don't want to scare consumers away with a higher price, even though many will have to pay more anyway, but we can act like we gave them a great deal."

Not everyone is going to use extra drive space, why should everyone have to pay for it?

For anyone to lazy to search for a hard drive I'll save you ten seconds of work:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236234

$60 + free shipping. You can even have it before the Wii U comes out if you'd like. Mailman will take it right to your door.

Now the Wii U will cost you $359.99 and and has 308GB of memory. Unless you want Nintendo Land. Would you like Nintendo land?

Either way, people that won't use that space don't have to pay for it now.

Businesses are usually more successful when they focus on more than one customer.
#56AteasPosted 9/13/2012 6:25:25 PM
knightimex posted...
Rainy_David1 posted...
In other words "We don't want to scare consumers away with a higher price, even though many will have to pay more anyway, but we can act like we gave them a great deal."

How much did you pay for a 250bg HHD for Xbox 360 $150+?

you can get a 2tb for less than $100

why are you even complaining?

This. I still don't have an internal hard drive for my Xbox Slim because they're almost as much as the damn console was, and I can't just buy a generic drive and use it instead. Nintendo giving us the option to use whatever we want instead of overpriced proprietary hardware IS a generous move, especailly in an age where hardware manufacturers are trying their hardest to control what we use with their products.
#57darkjedilinkPosted 9/13/2012 6:26:16 PM
darkrain108 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Natureboy99 posted...
So let me list the things I have to buy to enjoy the WiiU:

$299 for the console
1 game - $60
hard drive - lets just say $100
Pro controller - $60
Wiimotes for multiplayer - $50-$150

So we're looking at $500 - $700 for this???

Still less than PS3 cost, and with more of it optional.

Eh, no.

At launch? Yeah. Or did you forget about "599 US DOLLARS?"
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#58DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/13/2012 6:27:28 PM
Ateas posted...
knightimex posted...
Rainy_David1 posted...

How much did you pay for a 250bg HHD for Xbox 360 $150+?

you can get a 2tb for less than $100

why are you even complaining?

This. I still don't have an internal hard drive for my Xbox Slim because they're almost as much as the damn console was, and I can't just buy a generic drive and use it instead. Nintendo giving us the option to use whatever we want instead of overpriced proprietary hardware IS a generous move, especailly in an age where hardware manufacturers are trying their hardest to control what we use with their products.

There are ways. You may want to look into them.
---
If a game aged poorly, odds are it was never good to begin with.
#59mrivera889Posted 9/13/2012 6:28:32 PM
mrivera889 posted...

I don't think it's been announced.
Here's hoping. That would be the difference between meh and amazing.

I hope so too since going from USB 2.0's 480Mbps transfer speed to USB 3.0's 5Gbps would be nice.
#60GoraishiPosted 9/13/2012 7:24:08 PM(edited)
FuzzyJello posted...

Marcster1994 posted...
I thought it would be like the Wii where you don't have to install the games on the disc?

We don't even know if the Wii U has a game data install option to begin, folks are just assuming it does and rightfully freaking because neither model will have space for more than a couple huge updates they are assuming will happen.

http://kotaku.com/5942876/the-wii-us-controllers-are-really-expensive
Granted thats the price in Yen, but converted to dollars its $172 for the controller compared to $337 for the cheaper version of the console.

Also it better have install options... loading from a disc takes forever.

And wouldn't the relevant comparison be how the PS3 comes with a hard drive and also allows you to swap it out with any laptop hard drive? Leave the memory stick crap for the 3ds vs vita comparisons.