Digital distribution SUCKS! Amirite?

#1TrueBlue91Posted 10/2/2012 2:09:08 PM
http://www.palmgamer.com/downfalls-of-the-download-only-game-revolution

I think the concept of boxed/retail games being replaced by online downloads absolutely ridiculous, but if it does happen, I reckon WiiU is kick-starting the final gen of retail gaming. Digital distribution is terrible and unreasonable. I take it most of you agree, right? :)
#2NCPwnPosted 10/2/2012 2:11:59 PM
Wah? I've been only buying small PSn games as of late. They tend to be more fun , and more convenient than going/ordering from a store. Also Steam > box games.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#3Chocobo115Posted 10/2/2012 2:13:22 PM
I don't like DD of retail games that much either. I keep wondering "What if they just pull the plug, what will happen to all those games?"
Althoo I think it's alright for those smaller downloadable titles since they'd be rather hard to sell as retail otherwise.
#4NewniePosted 10/2/2012 2:14:13 PM
I'm not with you TC. I love this digital age we are heading to...
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#5IcecreamdunwichPosted 10/2/2012 2:14:51 PM
I'm a PC gamer, so no.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#6lionheart5656Posted 10/2/2012 2:17:07 PM(edited)
Some games digitally distributed is fine. Especially for smaller indie games.

Anything bigger than that though and they are really just trying to take control from the customer.

What better way to get your customer to buy something he already bought once a second time but to tell him that what he bought last time is no longer "compatible" with the next system?

Luckily, this is not a problem on PC.

One reason being we have a distributor who is not greedy as hell.

The second reason being that games are easily saved and put into the "internet cloud" if you know what I'm saying.

These two things counter act the negatives of digital distribution and safeguard it from abuse.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#7AwayFromHerePosted 10/2/2012 2:16:25 PM
Nope. I for one welcome 100% digital.

Video games are not cheap to make, and they are sold at stupidly low prices in comparison. If developers don't make money on their games, they stop making games.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#8TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 2:18:22 PM
Chocobo115 posted...
I don't like DD of retail games that much either. I keep wondering "What if they just pull the plug, what will happen to all those games?"
Althoo I think it's alright for those smaller downloadable titles since they'd be rather hard to sell as retail otherwise.

Industry analysts seem to be judging by the success of small downloadable titles, which is stupid.

Developers probably really want it though, for max. profits.
#9lionheart5656Posted 10/2/2012 2:18:33 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
Nope. I for one welcome 100% digital.

Video games are not cheap to make, and they are sold at stupidly low prices in comparison. If developers don't make money on their games, they stop making games.

That sounds like an awfully stupid thing to say as a consumer.

It's not our job to make sure they are rich and can buy boats made of gold.

It's their job to make good quality games that keep them in business.

I've yet to see a company that created pure quality games go under.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 2:20:49 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
I'm a PC gamer, so no.

Hm fair enough, but PC gaming has always been different to console gaming with things like that. Must it invade home-consoles?