Digital distribution SUCKS! Amirite?

#11DesperateMonkeyPosted 10/2/2012 2:21:03 PM
DD is so much better than retail. Servers going down? Maybe there are instances of this from the early ages of Digital Distribution. Moving forward, this is almost an impossibility with companies like Microsoft. You are far more likely to lose or scratch your game than see Microsoft go broke.

Steam is the same and they even said that if they go bankrupt, they will just release all the games that have been purchased for download, playable with their DRM service.

Not to mention it is almost impossible to lose something digitally. In the distant future, current generation games will be a small download.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#12link5003Posted 10/2/2012 2:22:07 PM
Digital distribution would rock if the consumer actually saved money from publishing and distribution costs. As it stands now, it's just a trade off for storage space if you want to give up rights to own and play the game as you choose. Retail games also seem to be discounted quicker; so, in my opinion, it's a bad deal for the consumer.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1461 - 6679 - 3387
Please PM me with your Friend Code if this is not a FC thread and I'll do my best to add you.
#13Chris386333Posted 10/2/2012 2:23:25 PM
Its wonderful and it will be coming weather you like it or not. Change often frightens people, but soon you will look back and think it silly that the only way you could play games was on a disc,
#14Chocobo115Posted 10/2/2012 2:24:17 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
DD is so much better than retail. Servers going down? Maybe there are instances of this from the early ages of Digital Distribution. Moving forward, this is almost an impossibility with companies like Microsoft. You are far more likely to lose or scratch your game than see Microsoft go broke.

But what if Nintendo(or Sony for that matter too) suddenly goes Bankrupt. And has to shut down all servers. What then will happen to those games you purchased as DDs?
That's one of the major questions I've been wondering about.
#15TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 2:26:30 PM
Chris386333 posted...
Its wonderful and it will be coming weather you like it or not. Change often frightens people, but soon you will look back and think it silly that the only way you could play games was on a disc,

Not necessarily. I don't look back at N64 cartridges and find them silly...

And what about the points raised in the article? 'Hard-drive top ups' for example. Storage costs are decreasing, but we'll probably end up using a more modern variety, and games will take up more and more space.
#16DemonDog666Posted 10/2/2012 2:28:23 PM
It is on Nintendo consoles, on other consoles it's great but it will never take over, physical media is just so much cheaper per GB.
#17PendragoonPosted 10/2/2012 2:29:35 PM
Chocobo115 posted...
I don't like DD of retail games that much either. I keep wondering "What if they just pull the plug, what will happen to all those games?"
Althoo I think it's alright for those smaller downloadable titles since they'd be rather hard to sell as retail otherwise.

It already happens with Steam and Amazon DDs, they ban your account and everything that requires authentication goes poof.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advise in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#18NewniePosted 10/2/2012 2:32:41 PM
Honestly, Nintendo is opening the way for the newer systems to go all out DD.

This is why Nintendo made the claim almost all games (especially 1st party) will be downloadable. Not only that, but they are giving customers the premium package with deluxe where every download gives you 10% back in points.

Nintendo is basically getting your feet wet and ready for what's to come in the future.
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#19diedje81Posted 10/2/2012 2:35:04 PM
Nourong.
---
Biggest nicekirbyfan9fan - nicekirbyfan9 is the biggest nintendrone ever - nicekirbyfan9 loves wiimusic
#20TrueBlue91(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 2:41:57 PM
I just don't see the bad outweighing the good. It's convenient, yes, and there's unlimited stock. I'd still rather stick with good ol' hard copies. At the very least I hope both can co-exist peacefully, but that's unlikely.