4K just may be the next gen standard, Sony shows Gran Turismo 4K tech demo

#141darkjedilinkPosted 10/3/2012 1:14:24 PM
Regurk_Abas posted...
darkjedilink posted...
Regurk_Abas posted...
Can someone explain something to me? Does 4K mean just 4K? As in, I can't play the games on a TV that doesn't support it with lower graphics?

No, that's not what it means. You can play God of War 3 on an SDTV. Heck, thanks to switches, you can play it on an old tube tv from the 70's. There will be some graphical issues, however - most notably, text gets hard to read.

Then I don't get what the problem is, you would still be able to play the games in HD if your TV supports it, right? You just wouldn't be able to play them in 4K.

The problem is the pricing. 4k is going to be used as an excuse to jack up the pricing of the system and the games, yet won't be used very much - if at all - just like 1080p in the PS3.

The problem is also Sony fanboys that think that 4k is going to make all other gaming consoles obsolete, just like 1080p in the PSthr - oh, wait....
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#142jakestar0306Posted 10/3/2012 1:15:50 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
This topic will surely consist of:

Sony doooomed, 4k sucks, 4k will cost sooo much money (even though I have no idea how much it costs to implement it), Mario Kart is better than GT, Gameplay>Graphics, Nintendo is the only company that innovates, Miyamoto is god.

Did I get it all?

You forgot "GT sucks".
---
Jerry Lambert (Kevin Butler) is one of the worst people in the gaming industry.
People who agree: 8
#143ChipChippersonPosted 10/3/2012 1:18:34 PM
Wait, I thought 3D was the next big thing in gaming and tvs.....whatever happened to that?

Oh that's right, nobody cared. The same way only a handful of technophiles will care about this. Most normal people don't care THAT much about tv. This is "because we can" tech.
---
"I don't spend my time posting Nintendo hate topics while letting my 360 and PS3 controllers rumble in my lap."-blazingsonic
#144Regurk_AbasPosted 10/3/2012 1:19:59 PM
darkjedilink posted...
The problem is the pricing. 4k is going to be used as an excuse to jack up the pricing of the system and the games, yet won't be used very much - if at all - just like 1080p in the PS3.

The problem is also Sony fanboys that think that 4k is going to make all other gaming consoles obsolete, just like 1080p in the PSthr - oh, wait....

Oh, right, forgot about that. Certainly seems to be an issue. Games are way too pricey already.
#145Joehop007Posted 10/3/2012 1:24:33 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
This topic will surely consist of:

Sony doooomed, 4k sucks, 4k will cost sooo much money (even though I have no idea how much it costs to implement it), Mario Kart is better than GT, Gameplay>Graphics, Nintendo is the only company that innovates, Miyamoto is god.

Did I get it all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKm6SYSRqs&feature=g-user-u
---
My Game of the Year: Xenoblade Chronicles
"Broke my pipe on some fatass" - RPG_Apostle
#146PendragoonPosted 10/3/2012 1:25:18 PM
You can get a 1080p 60inch for $1,100 if you shop around.

You can get a 1080p 70inch for $2,000 if you shop around.

It will take a while for 4k to take off when 1080p is that cheap.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advise in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#147SolisPosted 10/3/2012 1:27:58 PM
rudgerlight posted...
I think you missed the second half of the statement where I said I HOPE Sony releases a 4K system so they can continue to push technology....which is odd since you quoted it. Seriously, we're in agreement, but because I used the word "skipping" you decided to rail on me. Note that I wrote NATIVE 4K, not 4K SUPPORT. My point was most games won't push 4K since it's too costly and caters to too small an audience (at least for the next several years).

I agree with that, but again, I don't see how "skipping" really applies at all to this scenario. They already support 720p, 720p 3D, 1080p, and 1080p 3D...what else would they do except add 4K support as well? It just makes it sound like 4K would have to be added at the expense of something else.

But you're incorrect about the "cost" of 4K: supporting a higher resolution takes virtually no effort from the developer. It's just extra pixels that the system draws when it renders a frame, it doesn't require actual changes to the game itself.

Sol_Clyde posted...
knightimex posted...
4k is pointless especially if it can't fit a 40inch TV.

You need at least 80 inches to really legitimately become impressed and not lie to yourself (Like the flac lovers do with music) about the increase in definition.

Not true at all. Plenty of people can easily see resolutions above 1080p on their 13" Macbook displays. Even going from 720p to 1080p is plainly obvious on my 24" monitor. You'd hardly need a display 15 times as big as just to notice anything above 1080p.

Exilious posted...
Obviously the game isnt even actually being rendered in 4k. It's upscaled.

GT textures max out at 512x512. A current gen console, or even next gen, could not handle rendering the game at that high of resolution. There's a reason why playing games over multiple monitors on a PC generally requires SLI/Crossfirex. A single GPU can simply not handle that amount of pixels.

Texture resolution has nothing to do with native rendering resolution. As stated earlier in this thread, GT5 can already run at 6400x1080 resolution, so doing 4K isn't out of the question at all. And who said anything about the game only running on a single GPU? They shown Gran Turismo 5 Prologue running at 4 times the normal native resolution utilizing 4 PS3s since 2008. Using 6 to run it at 4K native would be rather simple (although it may only be using 4 at a native resolution of 2560x2160 and then upscaled to 3840x2160, so we can't be sure).

And I really doubt other next gen systems would have any problem running the game at 4K. Are we really not expecting the GPUs in upcoming consoles to be at least 6 times as powerful as the PS3's? The PS3's GPU wasn't even anything special when it was released, and that was 6 years ago.

darkjedilink posted...
This. Right now, with currently available games, we're looking at Core i7 extreme series (a $1,000 proc at retail) and at least a pair of 7970's overclocked to render natively at 4k.

At 30fps.

Totally wrong. Resolutions of 4K and above can be run on a single 5870 card:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/02/25/ati-eyefinity-on-six-screens-first-look-review/

Of course, you might have to turn down some settings to get it to run smoothly in current games. But it's not like consoles will be running with the highest equivalent PC settings either, right?

And what does the CPU have to do with output resolution? An i7 isn't going to help run a game in 4K any better than a low end i3 would.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#148SolisPosted 10/3/2012 1:30:44 PM
darkjedilink posted...

And other fanboys are going to ignorantly claim that the system and its games will have to be ludicrously expensive to support 4K. Why listen to what idiotic fanboys have to say to begin with?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#149art_of_the_killPosted 10/3/2012 1:37:40 PM
Solis posted...
Why listen to what idiotic fanboys have to say to begin with?

Some people are just far too obsessed with them. And ironically enough, most of those people have very strong biases themselves.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#150Shadowed_ZomaPosted 10/3/2012 1:38:19 PM
4k is pointless unless you have a 100+ inch television or are within 3 feet of the screen:

http://provideocoalition.com/images/uploads/carlton_bale_resolution_chart_thumb.jpg

Instead of resolution the real focus next generation should be on framerate.