Nintendo missing the resolution mark again.

#101pixel378Posted 10/5/2012 10:08:23 AM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
I'll stick with my 70" 1080p thank you very much.

Besides, by the time these hit mass market levels, Nintendo will be prepping a new system for launch.

You say that like its a good thing. Its not. Your statement only backs up that Nintendo is behind and Sony is thinking forward.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#102SolisPosted 10/5/2012 10:09:55 AM
blankempathy posted...
Except sd to hd is irrelevant. They're merely terms for the casual market to understand that hd= better sd = worse. You have to go by resolution since sd is typically 480p. Most console games now come in at around 720p. 4k Resolution is 2160p. See how big of a jump that is? Let that sink in for a moment. Getting games to run at that resolution isn't just a power issue. Its a balancing act. Sure you could get some indie games or incredibly simply games like angry birds to run at that resolution but don't expect to see games like uncharted, gears of war running at that resolution next gen.

OK, and? Nothing you just said invalidates the possibility of 4K support. Just as the current generation allows 1080p output when many games are only 720p.

And games like Uncharted and Gears of War shouldn't have much trouble running at 4K next gen. That would just require a GPU that's 9 times faster than what existing consoles have. Considering how crappy the PS3's GPU was (especially by recent standards) that's far from a stretch for a console released 7-8 years later.

And, again, the other thing you're missing which has been mentioned repeatedly is that games can still benefit from 4K output even if they don't run at a full 4K resolution, by rendering at resolutions above 1080p and then upscaling the rest of the way. Most of the Call of Duty games ran at sub-HD resolutions for example, would you argue that they didn't benefit from being run at HD as compared to SD?

Foppe posted...
Which can be added with a firmware update.
Xbox 360 didn't support 1080p at launch, which they added with a firmware update.

That's possible, but the question is whether Nintendo would actually support it or not. The hardware they're using may or may not support 4K either, depending on what capabilities the GPU has for video out. Rumors mention that the Wii U's GPU has 32MB of RAM for the framebuffer, which isn't big enough to hold a 4K image. They might be able to overcome that through tiling though.

As an aside, the Xbox 360 also added support for 1440x900 and 1680x1050 resolutions through a firmware update. I'm really hoping that future consoles will expand on those resolution options, with 1920x1200, 2560x1440, etc.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#103blankempathyPosted 10/5/2012 10:10:37 AM
pixel378 posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...

Besides, by the time these hit mass market levels, Nintendo will be prepping a new system for launch.

You say that like its a good thing. Its not. Your statement only backs up that Nintendo is behind and Sony is thinking forward.

They're thinking too far ahead. Like people have said 4k won't be standard for a very long time.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#104PendragoonPosted 10/5/2012 10:21:55 AM
pixel378 posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...

Sony's "forward" thinking is the reason they are almost bankrupt.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advise in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#105DeathSnipe777Posted 10/5/2012 10:23:42 AM
To the future!
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
PSN: Marlouchu
#106blankempathyPosted 10/5/2012 10:24:11 AM
Solis posted...
blankempathy posted...
Except sd to hd is irrelevant. They're merely terms for the casual market to understand that hd= better sd = worse. You have to go by resolution since sd is typically 480p. Most console games now come in at around 720p. 4k Resolution is 2160p. See how big of a jump that is? Let that sink in for a moment. Getting games to run at that resolution isn't just a power issue. Its a balancing act. Sure you could get some indie games or incredibly simply games like angry birds to run at that resolution but don't expect to see games like uncharted, gears of war running at that resolution next gen.

OK, and? Nothing you just said invalidates the possibility of 4K support. Just as the current generation allows 1080p output when many games are only 720p.

And games like Uncharted and Gears of War shouldn't have much trouble running at 4K next gen. That would just require a GPU that's 9 times faster than what existing consoles have. Considering how crappy the PS3's GPU was (especially by recent standards) that's far from a stretch for a console released 7-8 years later.

And, again, the other thing you're missing which has been mentioned repeatedly is that games can still benefit from 4K output even if they don't run at a full 4K resolution, by rendering at resolutions above 1080p and then upscaling the rest of the way. Most of the Call of Duty games ran at sub-HD resolutions for example, would you argue that they didn't benefit from being run at HD as compared to SD?

IIts not far from a stretch when Sony has been taking losses. Also 9 times faster is a lot more then you're thinking it is in cost and power. And again, 4k resolution being commonplace is very far off. Theres no real reason for people to own a 4k resolution tv yet to justify the cost. Benefit from it? Yes but is it enough to warrant the purchase of a 4k resolution tv? no. Most tvs up to 42 inch with 1080p look perfectly fine. I'd rather have games at a native 1080p resolution with 60 fps with some AA.
---
#107pixel378Posted 10/5/2012 10:33:03 AM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
pixel378 posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...

Sony's "forward" thinking is the reason they are almost bankrupt.

They have plenty other problems, they aren't just bleeding from the gaming division. They are actually making money on ps3's now, and have been for a while. The 600 dollar price tag is the thing that killed them, on top of the time it was released, right along the same timeline as the big US market crash. Big price correlating with big crash= big hole in your pocket.

I don't know what Sony will do, Maybe they will go just 4k, maybe they will appease to everybody and release 2 different models: A higher end 4k resolution one, and a lower end one thats less expensive. Like Nintendo, except their higher end model is just 32 GB (Less than my low end Ps3 thats 6 years old) with Nintendo land.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#108darkjedilinkPosted 10/5/2012 10:33:03 AM
"And games like Uncharted and Gears of War shouldn't have much trouble running at 4K next gen. That would just require a GPU that's 9 times faster than what existing consoles have."

Correct. So long as nothing else is changed in any way, which means no better AI, textures, framerate, AA, lighting, etc. Basically, they'd have to do nothing but uprender what we already have.

You'd really think that's worth it?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#109blankempathyPosted 10/5/2012 10:43:10 AM(edited)
darkjedilink posted...
"And games like Uncharted and Gears of War shouldn't have much trouble running at 4K next gen. That would just require a GPU that's 9 times faster than what existing consoles have."

Correct. So long as nothing else is changed in any way, which means no better AI, textures, framerate, AA, lighting, etc. Basically, they'd have to do nothing but uprender what we already have.

You'd really think that's worth it?

Also this. I'd rather have a better looking game with technical advancements then a game with just higher resolution. I said it before and I'll say it again, Next gen ps3/360 games we'll see will most likely improve on the little things like particle effects/lighting/shadows etc and overall just create a cleaner, better looking product.
---
#110ssjmolePosted 10/5/2012 10:43:21 AM
like others have said 4K only matters if 4K tv's are more of the norm. The fact is with the price it's not. 3D is barely supported now as it is and that was out longer.
---
*Gets on his knees and worships Beth Phoenix*
Wrestling reviews news and more : http://xpound.proboards.com/