Say "Yes" to Region-Locking

#111GigaVolts(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 1:03:09 PM
Eoin posted...
GigaVolts posted...
I never said importing causes it. I only said that importing decreases the sales, and thus makes the localized games less profitable, and if the games are not profitable.

Look, you're incapable of even articulating yourself and it's almost embarrassing to read. You claim (incorrectly) that you're not saying importing causes fwer localisations, then you go on to say that importing decreases sales, which decreases profits, which results in less localisations, therefore you absolutely are claiming (incorrectly) that imports cause fewer localisations.

Despite that, you have yet to give one example from the entire history of gaming where people importing verifiably caused a game not to be localised.

GigaVolts posted...
And that isn't my whole argument.

Yes it is. Your entire terrible argument is based on localisations and it's collapsed, long ago, and the only reason why you claim that it isn't your entire argument is a fundamental inability on your part to even understand what your own argument is.

GigaVolts posted...
If people hadn't imported games like last story, it would probably have sold 20K to 40K more in both PAL and Na regions. With that it would have boosted total worldwide nearly 500K

Wait....you think that if people don't import, but buy from their own region, that this will boost worldwide sales?

Who taught you mathematics? I'd advise that you asked them for a refund, except based on the maths skills on display above, you'd probably end up paying them even more.

1. importing doesn't directly cause less localization
2. You didn't read my opening post. I know that for sure now. And now I know you are a rude, bad person.
3. Oops. I meant if people hadn't just imported.

AI read your post. Rather than actually refuting points, you insult, and try act rude throughout. Not only that but you give the impression that you don't even read my whole posts. Only skim.

I will not reply to any other posts of yours until you say something that proves you actually read my posts.
---
The Official GigaVolts Seal of Approval
http://i.imgur.com/WgB8X.png
#112GigaVolts(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 1:10:11 PM
Eoin posted...

GigaVolts posted...
Also, you are a rude person.

I owe no politeness to corporate suckups and anti-consumer apologists. If you're wrong, I'm going to tell you that you're wrong. If you have a problem with that, well, I can live with that.

I am going to have to reply to this. Corporate suck up? Anti consumer? I am not wrong. Importing hurts the industry. You wouldn't understand how because you didn't read the OP.
I even said in the previous post, I dislike region lock, but understand why it is a necessity to an extent. You may think you owe me no politeness, but you do. I have yet to insult you, the most I have said is you are rude. You on the other hand, have insulted me with every post. When do people do that, either when they are backed into a corner, or they are not a good person.
---
#113TrueBlue91Posted 10/6/2012 1:12:33 PM
GigaVolts posted...
Eoin posted...
GigaVolts posted...
I never said importing causes it. I only said that importing decreases the sales, and thus makes the localized games less profitable, and if the games are not profitable.

Look, you're incapable of even articulating yourself and it's almost embarrassing to read. You claim (incorrectly) that you're not saying importing causes fwer localisations, then you go on to say that importing decreases sales, which decreases profits, which results in less localisations, therefore you absolutely are claiming (incorrectly) that imports cause fewer localisations.

Despite that, you have yet to give one example from the entire history of gaming where people importing verifiably caused a game not to be localised.

GigaVolts posted...
And that isn't my whole argument.

Yes it is. Your entire terrible argument is based on localisations and it's collapsed, long ago, and the only reason why you claim that it isn't your entire argument is a fundamental inability on your part to even understand what your own argument is.

GigaVolts posted...
If people hadn't imported games like last story, it would probably have sold 20K to 40K more in both PAL and Na regions. With that it would have boosted total worldwide nearly 500K

Wait....you think that if people don't import, but buy from their own region, that this will boost worldwide sales?

Who taught you mathematics? I'd advise that you asked them for a refund, except based on the maths skills on display above, you'd probably end up paying them even more.

1. importing doesn't directly cause less localization
2. You didn't read my opening post. I know that for sure now. And now I know you are a rude, bad person.
3. Oops. I meant if people hadn't just imported.

AI read your post. Rather than actually refuting points, you insult, and try act rude throughout. Not only that but you give the impression that you don't even read my whole posts. Only skim.

I will not reply to any other posts of yours until you say something that proves you actually read my posts.

But people clearly are reading your posts, because they've torn apart your argument so badly it's not even funny.

Now your remaining argument is that you're not saying things which you clearly are.
#114mashuPosted 10/6/2012 1:15:32 PM
Personally cannot subscribe to region locking. Most of the games I have imported have never been localized, and never will be. The choice simply came down to import to play them or don't play them at all. I wouldn't be importing if all the games I wished to play got localized, but to this day, it's not the case. I think SONY has made the right move to do away with region locking and, incidentally, they also have one of the better track records localizing titles.
#115STE573Posted 10/6/2012 1:44:17 PM
GigaVolts posted...
Linetrix posted...
How do you show demand for a region if a product isn't available for that region? TC is a troll. A real dumb one. That can't understand the most basic principles of economy.

Dude, operation rainfall

STE573 posted...

Maybe if was a newer model? Don't know if they changed it for the slim.

Your being far too optimistic of the whole system, there are hundreds of examples of this not working, I fought very very hard to get DW7 localised, it never happened, 8 thankfully did. Chrono Trigger should have been released over here based on a number of reasons that I shall not go into and it never did. I have both supported and imported latter games of the same series (DBZ Legacy of Goku I bought them both release day in the EU... Buu's Fury didn't make it our side so I had to import.

Up until recently we didn't get SMT games, thanks to Ghostlight we now do, the whole system works the way you say by exception, not the rule, it really does, and when it does work, it is celebrated, but trust me, having fought for enough of these games, I can catagorically say that it doesn't work the way you say man, I wish it did, but it doesn't.

Yes it would have been hard then, but Now, with the internet full of gamers, you can form something similar to operation rainfall and get those games you want localized by showing people there want them. The only reason NoA is interested in Monolith's new game is because Xenoblade sold well here. NoE took a risk and it proved profitable. They're probably interested in localizing it too. And about ghostlight, some video game publishers do it because unlike the big companies(Nintendo, Atlus, Capcom, SE and whoever else), they don't need a huge group saying they want the game. They go for the game as a risk. One worked, so they kept on doing it. And it proved profitable.

I do see your point mate, but honestly as a consumer and long time JRPG fan, I tjink were just going to have to agree to disagree, I've seen big companies ignore internet polls, email bombardments and so on, even recently. I just think that the pros of region lock are only beneficial to game companies.

A better argument would be as to wether blocking used games is a good thing, considering that the used games market is hundreds of times more damaging to the industry, but then you'd get called a troll because, well, this is a Nintendo board.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, psn ID- X-STE-90-X Currently playing- Minecraft (360) Dead Space 2 (360) Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL (Vita) Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
#116GigaVolts(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 1:57:47 PM
STE573 posted...
GigaVolts posted...
Linetrix posted...
How do you show demand for a region if a product isn't available for that region? TC is a troll. A real dumb one. That can't understand the most basic principles of economy.

Dude, operation rainfall

STE573 posted...

Maybe if was a newer model? Don't know if they changed it for the slim.

Your being far too optimistic of the whole system, there are hundreds of examples of this not working, I fought very very hard to get DW7 localised, it never happened, 8 thankfully did. Chrono Trigger should have been released over here based on a number of reasons that I shall not go into and it never did. I have both supported and imported latter games of the same series (DBZ Legacy of Goku I bought them both release day in the EU... Buu's Fury didn't make it our side so I had to import.

Up until recently we didn't get SMT games, thanks to Ghostlight we now do, the whole system works the way you say by exception, not the rule, it really does, and when it does work, it is celebrated, but trust me, having fought for enough of these games, I can catagorically say that it doesn't work the way you say man, I wish it did, but it doesn't.

Yes it would have been hard then, but Now, with the internet full of gamers, you can form something similar to operation rainfall and get those games you want localized by showing people there want them. The only reason NoA is interested in Monolith's new game is because Xenoblade sold well here. NoE took a risk and it proved profitable. They're probably interested in localizing it too. And about ghostlight, some video game publishers do it because unlike the big companies(Nintendo, Atlus, Capcom, SE and whoever else), they don't need a huge group saying they want the game. They go for the game as a risk. One worked, so they kept on doing it. And it proved profitable.

I do see your point mate, but honestly as a consumer and long time JRPG fan, I tjink were just going to have to agree to disagree, I've seen big companies ignore internet polls, email bombardments and so on, even recently. I just think that the pros of region lock are only beneficial to game companies.

A better argument would be as to wether blocking used games is a good thing, considering that the used games market is hundreds of times more damaging to the industry, but then you'd get called a troll because, well, this is a Nintendo board.

But it is because you are a JRPG fan you have to understand why no region lock would be bad. When those games get localized, we need as many people in our regions to buy them so we can be considered a viable market for those games.
---
#117petran78Posted 10/7/2012 2:01:39 AM
when video games consoles become 100 % digital in a few years, region locking will be the rule.

Even today bought DLC will only work with specific regions of the game.

But I really dont see the reason for region free games except if you know Japanese or other languages and want games that werent released outside the country.

You can find cheap prices even on your local market and prices drop much easier than in the past. While you are entitled to play a game of another region on your own home if you bought it, you are not entitled to sell it, though the law is very lax on this one unless you do it in mass numbers. Or else if I bought a game in Japan and left the borders I'd be arrested!

I like PC gaming because there isnt any region locking at all. Plus there are also fan made translations for foreign games.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#118GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 10/7/2012 7:47:17 AM
TC importing hurts nothing, it just goes up Nintendos ass because when Nintendo says something like "Hurr we region lock because it hurts da industry" what they really mean is "We don't want you buying this game from japan, in case we DECIDE to rerelease it in other regions, at some unknown number of years in the future. We might not even ever rerelease it, but dont you dare mess with our potential sales!!"

You're being a tool, TC. Stop shilling corporate propoganda already, nobodys buying it.

Feel free to let me know when the Videogame Industry starts making less than the movie industry. Since, you know, the Videogame Industry destroys the movie industry these days in sheer profits and is more profitable than it ever has been.

Nothings hurting the game industry, and nothing is going to, besides the game industry itself making **** choices which drives off consumers (too much drm, offering too little and asking too much, DLC abuse).

You're wrong TC, stop crying and just get over it dude. Stop drinking the corporate victim kool aid and join the real world.
---
"Dragon Age 2 was a train wreck the entire game, ME3 was like screaming rollercoaster that ran out of track and everyone died." -nIMr0D888
#119GigaVolts(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 7:52:43 AM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
TC importing hurts nothing, it just goes up Nintendos ass because when Nintendo says something like "Hurr we region lock because it hurts da industry" what they really mean is "We don't want you buying this game from japan, in case we DECIDE to rerelease it in other regions, at some unknown number of years in the future. We might not even ever rerelease it, but dont you dare mess with our potential sales!!"

You're being a tool, TC. Stop shilling corporate propoganda already, nobodys buying it.

Feel free to let me know when the Videogame Industry starts making less than the movie industry. Since, you know, the Videogame Industry destroys the movie industry these days in sheer profits and is more profitable than it ever has been.

Nothings hurting the game industry, and nothing is going to, besides the game industry itself making **** choices which drives off consumers (too much drm, offering too little and asking too much, DLC abuse).

You're wrong TC, stop crying and just get over it dude. Stop drinking the corporate victim kool aid and join the real world.

Yeah...no. You are wrong. The fact is you didn't understand my post. Here is what I said.
Importing games and not buying the localized ones hurts the localizing companies because they do not make the profit they need to. Not only that, but it makes it seem like that market is not a profitable market for that kind of game. You do understand corporations care only for money, and nothing else right? If they see a game didn't sell well there, why the hell should they localize it there? You may say that we can just import it then, but some of us would rather play a game in a language we can understand.
---
#120omniryuPosted 10/7/2012 8:04:33 AM
Gigavolt posted...
Yeah...no. You are wrong. The fact is you didn't understand my post. Here is what I said. Importing games and not buying the localized ones hurts the localizing companies because they do not make the profit they need to. Not only that, but it makes it seem like that market is not a profitable market for that kind of game. You do understand corporations care only for money, and nothing else right? If they see a game didn't sell well there, why the hell should they localize it there? You may say that we can just import it then, but some of us would rather play a game in a language we can understand.

Which what I said in my original topic was by accessing other regions eshop we can have some form of measurement to gauge how much a consumer want the product by either download a demo or paying for a trial version.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu