Kevin Butler Mario Kart Commercial leads to Sony Suing him

#101RyuNinjaDogPosted 10/6/2012 7:04:42 PM
To all the ninty fanboys criticizing Sony, news flash people. There's this thing called a CONTRACT. If Sony was paying this man to appear on commercials for PS3 and not for any other company, then he's under contract to obey the stipulations outlined in the contract that he signed. It doesn't make sense to pay someone to make ads, and then have him jump ship and make commercials for someone else.

Sony is completely in the right here unless his contract with Sony expired which it probably didn't if they are going as far as suing him.
#102P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 10/6/2012 7:16:42 PM
This is not about contract. There is no contract. Sony is claiming that they own Kevin Butler and in turn the likeness of his actor. They are making a statement that the man PLAYING Kevin Butler cannot do anything else as he looks like Kevin Butler.
---
"We're in bed together, Senator, we have been for a while. So relax, bend over, and enjoy it." - Jason Wynn
#103art_of_the_killPosted 10/6/2012 7:18:01 PM
RyuNinjaDog posted...
To all the ninty fanboys criticizing Sony, news flash people. There's this thing called a CONTRACT. If Sony was paying this man to appear on commercials for PS3 and not for any other company, then he's under contract to obey the stipulations outlined in the contract that he signed. It doesn't make sense to pay someone to make ads, and then have him jump ship and make commercials for someone else.

Sony is completely in the right here unless his contract with Sony expired which it probably didn't if they are going as far as suing him.

Thing is though, there hasn't been a single Kevin Butler ad all year, so Sony has very little reason to be mad about this at all. I could understand if they were still actually using him, but they're not.

Hell, I had honestly thought that Sony had given him the boot.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#104StickMen1090(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 7:19:38 PM
RyuNinjaDog posted...

has nothing to do with a contract...
#105cavebear56Posted 10/6/2012 7:19:43 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
This is not about contract. There is no contract. Sony is claiming that they own Kevin Butler and in turn the likeness of his actor. They are making a statement that the man PLAYING Kevin Butler cannot do anything else as he looks like Kevin Butler.

That's bullocks then. Otherwise yes, within legal courses Sony would be correct (but I would say still in the wrong under morality and maturity).

Under the argument you stated Panda that's completely idiotic as unless he is specifically highlighted as the character Kevin Butler they have no say at all on what commercials he acts in.

They could possibly own the Kevin Butler character, but they don't own any rights over another person's appearance.

Complete garbage from Sony regardless. Shows them as trivial and scared.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#106silenthill4vidPosted 10/6/2012 7:22:12 PM
does not mater hter hasnt been an ad, hes on contract whever they wna to use him or not.
---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#107softballumpirePosted 10/6/2012 7:23:21 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
jmichaelbp posted...
Sony = Jackasses.

I hope Kevin Butler (Lambert), never does a single ad for them again.

Why? If they had a contract with him then this is well within their rights...

sue someone how do you know there a contract and what he couldn't or could do? he did a portion on a tire commercial ...
#108silenthill4vidPosted 10/6/2012 7:31:42 PM
a tire commercial for with a nintendo product................duh?
---
#109GigaVoltsPosted 10/6/2012 7:32:31 PM
silenthill4vid posted...
a tire commercial for with a nintendo product................duh?

They are not suing for a contract thing. It is a trademark thing
---
The Official GigaVolts Seal of Approval
http://i.imgur.com/WgB8X.png
#110silenthill4vidPosted 10/6/2012 7:35:25 PM
i couldnt care less why.
---