Where's the commercials?

#1toadfan64Posted 10/7/2012 5:13:45 PM
A month til release and no commercials yet? I could've sworn there were Wii commercials at this this when it came out.
---
Brawl FC - 5412-9555-6314
Also known as Toadfan64
#2LordElohimPosted 10/7/2012 10:52:01 PM
Before the Wii came out no one knew you wouldn't be able to walk into a store for over a year and buy one on the spot. Advertising for the Wii U seems like it would be money wasted, as the entire first run is sold out, and there will be virtually no chance of getting one before next year without a lot of luck, or a friend who works somewhere of note. Why advertise something that is already selling out over a month before it even releases?
---
GamerTag: Lord Elohim PS3 - LordElohim
3DS Friend Code - 0645-5840-7528 Name: Elohim
#3PendragoonPosted 10/7/2012 10:56:07 PM
Games are getting advertised already, the system is sold out for launch, so no need to run ads for just the system. Come November game ads will be in full swing and demand will start to climb.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advise in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#4mcnichojPosted 10/7/2012 11:12:51 PM
It's weird because I have friends that are inbetween casual and dedicated gamers and some of them don't even know what the Wii U is.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS owner.
#5DBPanterAPosted 10/7/2012 11:26:43 PM
LordElohim posted...
Before the Wii came out no one knew you wouldn't be able to walk into a store for over a year and buy one on the spot. Advertising for the Wii U seems like it would be money wasted, as the entire first run is sold out, and there will be virtually no chance of getting one before next year without a lot of luck, or a friend who works somewhere of note. Why advertise something that is already selling out over a month before it even releases?

Part of this is true. All Pre-orders for the Deluxe/Premium are sold out in the US/Canada. However, Nintendo has never stated the actual # of consoles that were available for pre-order. Retailers the same. I "assume," and that's the key word since not one number regarding pre-orders of consoles for launch has been announced, that less than 1/2 the consoles for sale Nov. 18 will be pre-order. It might be as low as 1/4 or 1/5.

Nintendo needs to both satisfy is loyal gamers, but at the same time it wants to be the #1 toy for the holidays (yes, videos are toys as well as entertainment).

The commercials will come. I would expect to start seeing them in 2 weeks. 3-4 weeks of commercials is all they need, because more than that and the consumer will lose interest because of the wait.
---
GE 007 Wii FC: 3219 3898 2992 &. Minnesota
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#6IcecreamdunwichPosted 10/8/2012 12:09:26 AM
mcnichoj posted...
It's weird because I have friends that are inbetween casual and dedicated gamers and some of them don't even know what the Wii U is.

Yep, that is the majority of the populace and their knowledge of the Wii U.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#7ChipChippersonPosted 10/8/2012 1:02:48 AM(edited)
So in essence what we're pretty much saying here is that Nintendo would rather make sure that their hardcore fans get the system at launch rather than advertise something that won't generally be readily available at launch and make you have to fight with grandma and soccer moms at the store to get one.

I'm not seeing a downside yet. :p
---
"I don't spend my time posting Nintendo hate topics while letting my 360 and PS3 controllers rumble in my lap."-blazingsonic
#8DBPanterAPosted 10/8/2012 1:11:21 AM
ChipChipperson posted...
So in essence what we're pretty much saying here is that Nintendo would rather make sure that their hardcore fans get the system at launch rather than advertise something that won't generally be readily available at launch and make you have to fight with grandma and soccer moms at the store to get one.

I'm not seeing a downside yet. :p

Re-read my post a few up. There will be consoles available at launch, most likely many more than people realize. They will not be at places like GameStop, but rather places that are big box retailers (Target and Walmart), along with wholesale stores (Costco and Sam's Club that did not do any pre-orders).

The advertizing will begin shortly. With rumors of Wii U's appearing in certain retail stores, shopping mall demos, etc. at the end of October, expect to start seeing TV commercials around this time.
---
GE 007 Wii FC: 3219 3898 2992 &. Minnesota
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#9IcecreamdunwichPosted 10/8/2012 1:15:02 AM
People actually think the initial shipments sold out? lol
#10GencoilPosted 10/8/2012 1:22:48 AM(edited)
I'm with Pendrag0on on this one. It's better to start serious advertising near Christmas. If you start too early people might forget about it.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil