An interesting question about digital games.

#11omniryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 1:15:18 PM
PyjamaHero posted...
People have the mistaken idea that digital costs publishers next to nothing to produce.

While the up front costs are less once a game is printed and shipped to the retailer it has no legacy cost. The physical item is your problem to upkeep. With digital games server farms have to be powered at all times and maintained. They have to run a network to allow you access to the games they've sold you which requires a full time IT team. They have to pay for bandwidth just like you do. All of this adds up.

This isn't pro or con digital info, if it wasn't making them money they wouldn't do it. Just because something doesn't have a physical manifestation that doesn't mean there's no costs associated with it.

True. But bin sales could have a major influence of where you're going to get your games from. Surely you're not getting "dippity derp 34: how do magnets work?" from the eshop if the lowest point it goes is $20. Especially if the bin price is $3.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#12GiygasminionPosted 10/8/2012 3:56:49 PM
PyjamaHero posted...
People have the mistaken idea that digital costs publishers next to nothing to produce.

While the up front costs are less once a game is printed and shipped to the retailer it has no legacy cost. The physical item is your problem to upkeep. With digital games server farms have to be powered at all times and maintained. They have to run a network to allow you access to the games they've sold you which requires a full time IT team. They have to pay for bandwidth just like you do. All of this adds up.

This isn't pro or con digital info, if it wasn't making them money they wouldn't do it. Just because something doesn't have a physical manifestation that doesn't mean there's no costs associated with it.

I'm confused. Are you talking about running servers so people can continually have a chance to purchase the game (which I'd think, since it's on Nintendo's service, it'd be Nintendo's doing)? Or are you saying that they need to keep servers running so you can play the game you already downloaded (which I doubt is true)?
---
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#13ZBug_Posted 10/8/2012 4:01:03 PM
They need to do it similar to steam. Steam freaking nailed digital downloads. It's flawless.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#14Pokerkid777Posted 10/8/2012 4:33:02 PM
ZBug_ posted...
They need to do it similar to steam. Steam freaking nailed digital downloads. It's flawless.

The problem with copying steam depends how much power Nintendo gives to the publishers when it comes to pricing. If Nintendo gives the publishers full or most power when it comes to price, then I highly doubt there will be as many crazy sales as steam.
---
Tennis is the sport for gods I tell you. MOTHER****ING GODS!
#15meiyukiPosted 10/8/2012 4:41:09 PM
Giygasminion posted...

I'm confused. Are you talking about running servers so people can continually have a chance to purchase the game (which I'd think, since it's on Nintendo's service, it'd be Nintendo's doing)? Or are you saying that they need to keep servers running so you can play the game you already downloaded (which I doubt is true)?

People always have to be able to download the game since all of these services guarantee that you can download the game any time after you've bought it. Even if nintendo is running the servers they're not a charity and take a cut of sales to pay for the cost of servers. The servers cost money and the bandwidth costs money, and it's something they have to maintain basically indefinitely.