Wii U needs more rpg's. Monster hunter is not enough I'm afraid.

#31bronze4v4pro(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 8:56:57 PM
1. mass effect 3 isn't an rpg. Its a streamlined shooter with very light rpg elements.
2. Monster hunter is a loot crawler. Loot crawler= rpg.
#32theofficefan99Posted 10/8/2012 9:06:03 PM
sting__art posted...
Drumguy posted...
The Wii has Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, and Xenoblade Chronicles. As far as I know, all Wii disc-based games (meaning not WiiWare, but that's not to say they won't be playable) will be playable on WiiU.

I don't know why everybody is calling those 3 constantly and forgets the other RPG's on the Wii like Arc Rise Fantasia, i found that game to be much better.

Arc Rise Fantasia is incredibly generic and it suffers from a beyond awful localization effort.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#33theofficefan99Posted 10/8/2012 9:10:26 PM(edited)
And TC, I agree. I mean, I know we'll get a new Monolith Soft game, but I don't know if that's enough.

Well we'll get some Square Enix and Mistwalker games for sure, too, and that's a plus, at least.

Though I'd love to also get some RPG's from tri-Ace, SEGA (Skies of Arcadia 2 like someone else mentioned), Atlus, Level-5, etc. etc.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#34sting__artPosted 10/9/2012 2:08:54 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
sting__art posted...
Drumguy posted...
The Wii has Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, and Xenoblade Chronicles. As far as I know, all Wii disc-based games (meaning not WiiWare, but that's not to say they won't be playable) will be playable on WiiU.

I don't know why everybody is calling those 3 constantly and forgets the other RPG's on the Wii like Arc Rise Fantasia, i found that game to be much better.

Arc Rise Fantasia is incredibly generic and it suffers from a beyond awful localization effort.

Thats indeed the general opinion, yet it was a lot of fun to play that game.

It has hard boss fights that would last between 20-40 minutes. Positioning is very important and you get warnings ingame that you have to respond to. It has a very interesting way of improving weapons and the plot has twists in which your party members actually die and stay dead. Something that our predictable Xenoblade never had. It didn't do voice acting very well but its better than no voice at all.

Tell me specifically, what about it is generic? Because the fight system, weapon customization, the tons of bosses and the difficulty really where a refreshing touch imo.
---
StingArt
#35shampoowarriorPosted 10/9/2012 3:07:41 AM
I didn't care for Arc Rise Fantasia but can't go into specifics since its been a long while. One of the very few games that I have sold after finishing.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#36ssufurjinPosted 10/9/2012 3:22:08 AM
druskie posted...
rpgs take time to make. give the console another year...

This
#37Chocobo115Posted 10/9/2012 3:24:57 AM
Go for a PS3 otherwise, lots of RPGs there.
#38Rune CasterPosted 10/9/2012 3:55:07 AM
CrystalKing5426 posted...
Most RPGs are now on handhelds.

Which is why I don't buy hand held game systems or any of the Final Fantasy series

Last good rpg I have played is Tales of Graces Playstation 3 (which is the main reason I bought a Playstation 3) another thing to note rpgs need storage space... I am afraid 8 or 32 Gb of memory on the Wii U just won't cut it... hum...

Speaking of which I have yet to compete Tales of Graces...
---
You have to be careful with those bulls. For instance...
*is picked up by a bull and placed in the cow launcher* o_0 THWIP-P-P-P AHHHHHHHHHH! - TimeSpaceMage
#39Dayner_KurdiPosted 10/9/2012 5:22:05 AM
isn't monolith soft working on untitled rpg for Wii U ?

for TC just wait and see, still i wont jump in joy till we get a localization announcement ......
#40AkaimizuPosted 10/9/2012 6:32:16 AM(edited)
bronze4v4pro posted...
1. mass effect 3 isn't an rpg. Its a streamlined shooter with very light rpg elements.
2. Monster hunter is a loot crawler. Loot crawler= rpg.

Sort of. But the RPG elements are even lesser with Monster Hunter. There is absolutely no stat building. It is only getting materials, however any and all activity in the game is complete action and movement skill based.

Mass effect has stat and skill earning (even 3) and those selections (as you level up) go into not only how you fight but how effective your skills are when fighting.

Monster Hunter has none of that. So it isn't even squarely in the RPG loot hunt as all other games that do that. (diablo, torchlight, Titans Quest, Phantasy Star Online, even Borderlands)

On the other hand, it does do a number of things they don't; branching in another genre into its mix.

Mass effect would be a square shooter, if all classes can work without even using built up skills and player stats, but it is just as fruitless to go without them as any actual Dungeon Crawl or RPG does. Monster hunter has naked runs against powerful bosses, because almost none of that really matters, in the end.

So if Mass Effect, even 3, has very light RPG elements even though it even includes actual player-involved role play, then Monster Hunter must have absolutely minuscule RPG elements. I love my Monster Hunter, but I don't confuse the genre it fits in.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)