Nintendo Wii U FAQ V2.0 ~*READ BEFORE POSTING!*~

#1NewniePosted 10/8/2012 5:59:48 PMmessage detail(edited)

A. Introduction
B. Basics
C. Specs
D. GamePad
E. Network
F. Games
G. Data Storage
H. Media
I. Conclusion
J. References

A. INTRODUCTION

Hello users! I'm Newnie and thanks for taking the time out to read this FAQ. Now, before we get started I would like to give a big thanks and credit to Man__In__Black, aka JohnnyShred612, for his awesome faqs and kicking off V1.0 of this guide. It's been awhile since the first version came out, well... June 9th, 2011 to be exact. With that said, his work inspired me to revise his guide with updated news and help.

I also would like to say thanks to a few users down below who have pitched in and made this board a convenient place to discover news and generally talk Wii U. These are all users, including myself, you may ask for help and additional info when this guide has also become outdated.

P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
Tottentanz
PENDRAG0ON
DrRM
DTY3
jmichaelbp
kinglink13
CloudStrife630
knightimex

With that out the way, let's move on to why you're here!

B. BASICS

So what is the Wii U?
The Wii U is an upcoming console from Nintendo as the successor to the Wii video game console.

When was it announced?
The Wii U was unveiled during Nintendo's press conference at E3 on June 7, 2011.

When will it be released?
The Nintendo Wii U will be available to purchase on November 18th, 2012 for North America, December 8th, 2012 for Japan, and November 30th, 2012 for Europe and Australia.

How much is the Wii U?
It will come in two SKUs, both in different colors.

BASIC ($299.99):
White Wii U Hardware
8GB Internal storage
Wii U Gamepad
Wii U Stylus
Sensor Bar
Wii U AC adapter
Wii U GamePad AC adapter
HDMI cable

DELUXE ($349.99):
32GB Internal storage
Black Wii U Hardware
Wii U Gamepad
Wii U Stylus
Sensor Bar
Wii U AC adapter
Wii U GamePad AC adapter
HDMI cable
A copy of Nintendo Land
Wii U Gamepad Stand
Wii U Gamepad Cradle
Wii U Console Stand
Deluxe Digital Promotion

What is this "Deluxe Digital Promotion"?
The Deluxe Digital Promotion allows customers who purchased the Deluxe Set be enrolled in a promotion that let's Wii U owners receive points for each digital download and redeem those points for future downloadable content from Nintendo's eShop. As of now, this will be going on till 2014.

Is the Wii U backwards compatible?
The Wii U is backwards compatible with the original Wii. The Wii U can also support Wii peripherals, including the Wii Remote Plus, the Nunchuk, and the Balance Board. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with the Nintendo Gamecube.

What is the GamePad?"
The GamePad is the main controller for the Wii U. It features a built-in touchscreen, which can either supplement or replicate the gameplay shown on the main display, and can function as a standalone screen without the use of a television screen. (See D. GAMEPAD for more info.)
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#2Newnie(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 5:31:11 PMmessage detail
Are there different controllers available?
While the GamePad is the Wii U's main controller, it will also be able to use the Pro Controller. Many games offer the use of this as an alternative playstyle for those wanting a more "classic" feel. Think of an Xbox 360's controller with the layout slightly changed.

C. SPECS

So what is the Wii U's CPU?
The Wii U CPU is designed by IBM. It is described by IBM as an "all-new, Power-based microprocessor", the processor is a multi-core design manufactured at 45 nm with an eDRAM cache. Neither Nintendo nor IBM has revealed detailed specifications, such as the number of cores, clock rate, or cache sizes.

How about it's GPU?
Not much is known about the Wii U's GPU at this current time, though it has been rumored to be a modified AMD Radeon E6760.

How much RAM does it have?
The Wii U has a total of 2GB of RAM. 1GB is for games while the other GB is for system software.

What are the video formats this thing can handle?
1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576i (PAL Only), 480p, 480i, standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen.

What are some of the Wii U's capabilities?
The Wii U will have 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2 in the front and 2 at its rear. It includes an AV Multi Out port, a HDMI port, along with a SD memory card slot which supports SDHC cards for further storage. (See G. DATA STORAGE for more info.)

D. GAMEPAD

What are the specs of the GamePad?
Built-in 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope and a geomagnetic sensor
Stereo Speakers and Microphone
Volume Control
Front-facing camera
IR Sensor strip
Infrared Transceiver (part of "TV Control" feature)
Headphone jack
6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 16:9 resistive touchscreen
Two clickable analog sticks and one D-pad
Stylus
Select, Start, TV Control, Home and Power buttons
A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
Rumble
Controller sync button
Wireless communication with console based on IEEE 802.11n operating at 5GHz
NFC (Near Field Communication)
Extension Connnector (for additional control accessories)

What are the camera and microphone for?
The GamePad's camera and microphone are used for talking with friends through Nintendo Network's chat and video chating. (See E. NETWORK for more info.)

How many GamePads can the Wii U support?
The Wii U will allow two GamePads to be used. Unfortunately, there are no launch games that will have use for two, which is why there won't be any additional GamePads to buy when the Wii U hit stores in North America.

What happends if I break my GamePad?
You may send it in to Nintendo to get it repaired for a fee.

How about the range of the GamePad?
Approximately 24Ft.

E. NETWORK

Does the Wii U have network capabilities?
Yes. Nintendo's network infrastructure, named Nintendo Network, is similar to Xbox Live and Playstation Network.

Will there be user accounts or friend codes?
There will be a user account system on the Wii U that will replace the friend code model seen on the original Wii, but will not eliminate the use of friend codes completely. Every Wii U will be able to hold a maximum of 12 accounts.
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#3Newnie(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 6:01:09 PMmessage detail(edited)
What is Miiverse?
Miiverse is an integrated social network system. It's implemented in the system menu and can also be used for games, if developers choose to do so. It allows users to chat with one another through text as well as through video. Not only can it be used on the Nintendo Wii U, but for other devices as well, such as cellphones. For a better idea on this, think of twitter, but for video games.

Will there be digital distribution?
The Wii U's eShop will be Nintendo's digital distribution store. Available at launch, the eShop will provide the means to download digital Wii U titles, retail Wii U titles, WiiWare titles, Virtual Console titles, and applications. The Wii U's eShop will also allow users to obtain patches, add-ons, and expansions for both retail and digital games.

Is there also a browser?
Yes. It allows users to browse the web through the GamePad and television. Sadly, it does not support Flash, but instead supports HTML 5.

F. GAMES

What are the launch games?
As of now, we have on the list...

Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
FIFA 13
ESPN Sports Connection
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing Party
Skylanders: Giants
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers: Prime
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wipeout: The Game 3
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

Will there be any eShop games at launch?
Yes. We have...

Chasing Aurora
Cloudberry Kingdom
Little Inferno
Mighty Switch Force HD
Nano Assault Neo
Toki Tori 2
Trine 2: Director's Cut

G. DATA STORAGE

8GB or 32GB? That's pretty low!
Nintendo intended for users to use their own storage electronics to add on to the internal memory of the Wii U.

What types of storage can I use?
You may use SD cards, USB flash drives, and/or external hard drives. The Wii U allows a maximum of 3TB hard drives.

H. MEDIA

Can you play dvd or blu-ray movies on the Wii U?
Sadly, no.

Well is there any other forms of entertainment?
Yes! The Wii U has a television based service called Nintendo TVii that allow users to watch programs and movies on Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and their cable network. This service is free, though you still need an account to use the listed movie providers.

I. CONCLUSION

The Wii U is expected to be a great video game system. I hope this guide has helped most of you out and stay relevant for quite some time. Once again, if your question wasn't answered here, feel free to write me or any of the other users listed in this guide. In the event that the Wii U is actually out and anyone is reading this, feel free to add me on Nintendo Network, which my name is the same for every online account I make for social networks and game networks. ("Newnie")

Well it's been a priveledge sharing knowledge to all of you folks. Have a good day and enjoy the Wii U boards. Thank you for reading.

J. REFERENCES
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#4PendragoonPosted 10/8/2012 5:43:02 PMmessage detail
The guide looks good, it should hold up until launch when the specs are finally known and the full online service is unveiled.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advise in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#5Newnie(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 5:44:56 PMmessage detail
PENDRAG0ON posted...
The guide looks good, it should hold up until launch when the specs are finally known and the full online service is unveiled.

Thank you very much, you guys should let me know if anything needs to be changed or added, I'd say I got about another 50 minutes to edit things.
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#6DTY3Posted 10/8/2012 5:46:46 PMmessage detail
Sticky requested
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#7PendragoonPosted 10/8/2012 5:47:50 PMmessage detail
Newnie posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...

Thank you very much, you guys should let me know if anything needs to be changed or added, I'd say I got about another 50 minutes to edit things.

You may want to add blu-ray to the Media section since it won't play those either. I'll keep reading over it for anything else.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advise in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#8DrRMPosted 10/8/2012 5:57:59 PMmessage detail
lets not forget the REFERENCE :D

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/ < here are Nintendo WII U techy stuff :D

am not a techy guy myself, but some say they are not the complete one. knowing nintendo, they wont say all the wii u have. as a matter of fact even the wii isn't a 100% known as far as I know xD.
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#9Newnie(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 6:01:46 PMmessage detail
DrRM posted...
lets not forget the REFERENCE :D

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/ < here are Nintendo WII U techy stuff :D

am not a techy guy myself, but some say they are not the complete one. knowing nintendo, they wont say all the wii u have. as a matter of fact even the wii isn't a 100% known as far as I know xD.

Good stuff, Just added that and about the blu-rays.
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#10knightimexPosted 10/8/2012 6:03:07 PMmessage detail
Sticky requested
---
i7 2600k 3.4ghz, 12gb 1,333 mhz ram, 1.5tb HDD, EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4096Mb, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty, 850 psu