So Mario is milking? Might wanna rethink that.....

#21Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 10/8/2012 10:50:28 PM
It wouldn't be fair to count the entire franchise, because as a whole it is composed of several different genres that are very different and encompass many genres.

You don't know what milking is either.
---
The official (elected by users of the wii hardware board) President of GameFAQS Wii hardware Board as of 11/5/08
#22DTY3Posted 10/8/2012 10:51:08 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
It wouldn't be fair to count the entire franchise, because as a whole it is composed of several different genres that are very different and encompass many genres.

You don't know what milking is either.

---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#23ChipChippersonPosted 10/8/2012 10:54:51 PM
Just because there's a lot of the games doesn't mean they're necessarily milked.

To me "milked" games are stuff like Dynasty Warriors; they're literally the same game over and over.
---
"I don't spend my time posting Nintendo hate topics while letting my 360 and PS3 controllers rumble in my lap."-blazingsonic
#24noutBrPosted 10/9/2012 12:21:23 AM
I get the feeling many people don't know the definition of "milking" when it comes to videogames.

When a company has a very successful game and decides to re-use the same design in a slightly different skin or with slight variations a number of times in a row, THAT is what's considered milking. Examples of companies milking a series would be the NES Mega Man games by Capcom, Call of Duty by Activision or FIFA/Madden by EA.

Nintendo releasing Super Mario Galaxy for instance is not milking the series, the game features many new concepts and plays different enough from previous 3D Mario games. SMG2 was released to ride on the success of SMG and could be considered an attempt to milk the series. However, SMG2 wasn't really a lazy cash-in so I think it is unfair to call out SMG2 for being part of a milked series. The NSMB series is a different story though and those ARE a good example of Nintendo milking the Mario franchise.

But in the end the most important thing is that the game are fun. I love Mega Man games and I don't care if most games in a series play very much the same, I love more of the same! As long as the industry also works on new concepts and new ideas I see nothing wrong with companies "milking" their established franchises. Many posters on this site seem to be stuck in some sort of black&white thinking and somehow can't understand that videogames industry needs to both innovate AND preserve the past in order to survive.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#2519061980Posted 10/9/2012 12:28:38 AM
People are complaining that a character specifically designed to be used in as many games as possible is being used in as many games as possible?
#26CloudStrife630Posted 10/9/2012 12:31:25 AM
19061980 posted...
People are complaining that a character specifically designed to be used in as many games as possible is being used in as many games as possible?

Yep. They're Mario haters.
---
http://i.minus.com/ipN9gpNhMOxuc.gif
#27Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 10/9/2012 6:31:11 AM
I get the feeling many people don't know the definition of "milking" when it comes to videogames.

The thing is there is no special "videogame definition". Milking is milking.

Aand they milk mario. He has probably been in dozens of games on the wii alone.
---
The official (elected by users of the wii hardware board) President of GameFAQS Wii hardware Board as of 11/5/08
#28squatch22Posted 10/9/2012 6:33:37 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
He has probably been in dozens of games on the wii alone.

Erm... No

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=mario&platform=1031&s=s
---
''Engine isn't code...'' : Sony fan troll logic.
http://www.jc-news.com/gfx/gaf/lol/nintendo_cycle.png
#29fuzi11Posted 10/9/2012 6:34:52 AM
Shane2100AD posted...
I'm only counting the main series (main 3D and main 2D) thus, Mario Kart doesn't get counted as it's in a different genre, not to mention one per console.

Wii:
2009: NSMBWii
2007 and 2010: Galaxy Series (1&2)
Total: Three Games, released all in different years.

Wii U:
2012: NSMBU
Probably 2014: 3D Mario Title (DLC; no need for "squeal")
Total: Two Games, released years apart.

3DS:
2011: 3D Mario Land
2012: NSMB2
Total: Two Games; released in different years.

Now, Pokemon. The list is quite ridiculous for ONE system.

Nintendo DS:
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
Pokémon Platinum
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
Pokémon Black and White
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

All released from 2007 (NA) to 2012 (NA). That's 1 game per year.

fixed for comparission's sake
#30Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 10/9/2012 6:46:54 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
He has probably been in dozens of games on the wii alone.

Erm... No

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=mario&platform=1031&s=s

That list is missing brawl and probably a a bunch more.
---