The defenses for Metroid: Other M are just pathetic *POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

#71P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 10/9/2012 7:03:46 PM
wiiking96 posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
I accept all of it.

Do you question any decisions that anyone makes about any kind of media entertainment, or you just a sheep?

And calling Other M Samus weak is utterly asinine, just from playing 10mins of the game.

She's weak because she makes no significant contributions to the story. Not physically weak, but plot wise and emotionally, she is.

If an artist makes a decision about their creation, it is not my place to say otherwise. If I am displeased with an outcome, I do not participate in said item, I don't cause a scene to incite others.

And I still don't get why you label Samus how you interpret instead of what literally is there, but I'll leave you to your madness.
---
"We're in bed together, Senator, we have been for a while. So relax, bend over, and enjoy it." - Jason Wynn
#72Big_IsaacPosted 10/9/2012 7:04:45 PM
I accept all of it. And calling Other M Samus weak is utterly asinine, just from playing 10mins of the game.

first of all, WHY?!?
explain to me why you have no demand for consistency or quality.

very obviously I'm talking about story. the plot's main purpose is to make Samus look weak.
- Ridley scene: PTSD is used as a means to an end; to make Samus break down in front of her nemesis. it makes her look weak and defenseless
- Ian's death: Samus is standing there, inept, ineffectual and useless compared to Adam, who makes the big decisions.
- Adam knocks out Samus: Adam manages to completely incapacitate Samus for several minutes WITH A FREEZE PISTOLE.
- Adam's death: intercut with footage of Ian's death, Samus acts exactly the same as before, telling us that she has not grown an inch since back then. she is still inept, ineffectual and useless compared to Adam
- Adam destroys sector zero: an NPC sails off with the final level of the game. why? because Samus is too weak to take care of it herself.
- Ridley's death: Samus failed to kill ridley and make up for her breakdown. in any story with even the slightest hint of good writing, Samus would have gotten a rematch to redeem herself as an act of character growth. this doesn't happen in Other M. a random monster kills Ridley, leaving Samus unable to grow. Samus remains just as weak as she was in the Ridley scene

the list goes on
---
"There are 2 things infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe yet, though" - Albert Einstein
#73P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 10/9/2012 7:05:47 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Soanevalcke6 posted...
Has any Nintendo series ever referenced their respective comics?

Yeah, Metroid, The Metroid Manga is a confirmed part of the canon.

So were the others until the next respective games came out.

What are you talking about? Nintendo has made no statement that says the manga is non canon.

Same with the others. The games just utterly contradicted them without any mention to their occurrences. Metroid is no different.
---
"We're in bed together, Senator, we have been for a while. So relax, bend over, and enjoy it." - Jason Wynn
#74wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 7:12:16 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Soanevalcke6 posted...
Has any Nintendo series ever referenced their respective comics?

Yeah, Metroid, The Metroid Manga is a confirmed part of the canon.

So were the others until the next respective games came out.

What are you talking about? Nintendo has made no statement that says the manga is non canon.

Same with the others. The games just utterly contradicted them without any mention to their occurrences. Metroid is no different.

I know OM contradicts the manga at least once, but how do the other games do it?
---
Official "Quote" of the SSB4 board. http://i.imgur.com/tSh2y.jpg
People who like Cave Story: 20
#75Big_IsaacPosted 10/9/2012 7:15:50 PM(edited)
If an artist makes a decision about their creation, it is not my place to say otherwise. If I am displeased with an outcome, I do not participate in said item, I don't cause a scene to incite others.

what nonsense. you as a consumer have the right to judge what the industry offers you. meekly accepting everything isn't going to change anything. whining and hating is the only means of quality control we have. it's sad, but true.
fact is, haters like us are doing more for the industry than obedient sheep like you

And I still don't get why you label Samus how you interpret instead of what literally is there, but I'll leave you to your madness.

well then, tell me "what literally is there"
every single one of the 3 major plot point is resolved without Samus' contributing. this is a fact
- James gets killed by MB
- Ridley gets killed by the Queen Metroid
- MB is taken out by Bergman and the GF guys
Samus has nothing to do with any of that. for the first 2, she's not even around. for the last one, she just stands in the background doing nothing.
---
"There are 2 things infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe yet, though" - Albert Einstein
#76P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 10/9/2012 7:35:37 PM
There's such a thing as "constructive criticism". It's far better than wasting yours and my time whining about something nobody really cares about and annoying the artist who is far more likely to cause them to not make anything else instead if pandering to your incessant wants.
---
#77egglinkPosted 10/9/2012 7:38:09 PM
I'm perfectly fine with people not liking the game, but people are acting like it's Superman 64 or E.T. for the Atari. That's where it gets me.
---
Steam: Poeish
#78Soanevalcke6Posted 10/9/2012 7:38:46 PM
There's such a thing as "constructive criticism". It's far better than wasting yours and my time whining about something nobody really cares about and annoying the artist who is far more likely to cause them to not make anything else instead if pandering to your incessant wants.

If they can't take criticism, they obviously shouldn't have gone into the industry. It is a game developer's job to pander to the people that buy the game. No one is going to buy a game, if no one wants to play it. And if Sakamoto doesn't want to make anymore Metroid games, I would be perfectly fine with that
---
Qualities I look for in games: Atmosphere, Music, Exploration, and Freedom.
Deus Ex: HumΔn Revolution is the best game of this generation.
#79Big_IsaacPosted 10/9/2012 7:48:08 PM

I'm the consumer, so it's the producers job to pander to my wants. that's basic economy
when I'm dissatisfied with the offerings of the producer, it's my job to voice that dissatisfaction.

it's Sakamoto's fault for putting out this garbage. I'm just giving it the thrashing it deserves.
whether you like it or not, whining is the most effective way to improve the industry. it already happened. all the complaining people did about Mass Effect 3's endings showed the devs that they did in fact **** up, so they tried to fix it. whether they succeeded or not, the attempt would not have existed without the haters and whiners

also, WHAT IF the whining makes Sakamoto want to stop making Metroid games?
all this would do is prevent the series from getting dragged down further by his incompetence. better to end a franchise on a bad note than to turn into something like the Highlander series

egglink posted...
I'm perfectly fine with people not liking the game, but people are acting like it's Superman 64 or E.T. for the Atari. That's where it gets me.

it's a bad game, but not THAT bad. I admit that. as I said before, the gameplay is mundane, but functional
---
#80DavCubePosted 10/9/2012 7:53:36 PM
Good lord, we're still talking about this? I'm getting tired of saying the same two things over and over. Even then, every single friggin' topic about Other M immediately turns into a frenzy and half of the sensible posts gets ignored.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube