The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Honestly, what will the PS4 and Xbox 720 have that the Wii U wont...?

#1Soccer_is_BestPosted 10/10/2012 12:33:56 PM
Besides a potential gap in graphics and power (I really don't expect that much of a difference, compared to this gen). What will Sony and Microsoft offer to consumers to truly buy their new system? Of course, people will buy due to it just being a new console from PlayStation/Microsoft, but besides that, what will make consumers go "I want the PS4 over Wii U"? This past gen, the issues with the Wii were the graphics, online, 3rd parties, and the controller.

Now, the Wii U is a perfect successor to the Wii with having HD, potentially great online, an online shop that could be of Steam quality, (hopefully) trusty third party support (- quality games for EA, due to possibly the whole Origin issue), and a "normal" controller. Last, but not least, IMO the perfect price points and ability to add as much extra memory that you want without jacking up the price. Once again, Nintendo has innovated console gaming with the Gamepad. Oh, and it will offer wonderful Nintendo games.

Sony and Microsoft will probably copy Nintendo by using Vita as a second screen and Smartglass, but really, those two things aren't built with the system in mind, unlike the Wii U Gamepad not to mention how they are extra prices.

Really, the only thing that will probably be the deciding factor is exclusives, but I think Ninty wins that.
---
Nintendo's E3 2012 presentation was just weird and awkward. 95% of the games at launch look promising though.
#2quickposterPosted 10/10/2012 12:34:53 PM
inb4thirdpartysupport
---
Bethesda not convinced people will buy the next xbox and PS4: your install base always starts at zero
#3Enigma149Posted 10/10/2012 12:38:53 PM
The PS4 may have 4K support. If it does, it'll have support for the 4K BluRay discs that Sony and Toshiba are currently producing, which will not be usable in current BluRay players (at least, not in 4K mode). People may buy it for that, though 4K probably won't become prevalent enough to create significant sales (think HDTV in 2000).
---
PSN:CrimsonEnigma; 3DS:4897-5935-1924
I don't spend much time online, so don't be offended or surprised if I don't respond to a friend request or something.
#4Soccer_is_Best(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 12:40:11 PM
Enigma149 posted...
The PS4 may have 4K support. If it does, it'll have support for the 4K BluRay discs that Sony and Toshiba are currently producing, which will not be usable in current BluRay players (at least, not in 4K mode). People may buy it for that, though 4K probably won't become prevalent enough to create significant sales (think HDTV in 2000).

Exactly, it will be the PS3 all over again. An expensive system that isn't affordable right now.
---
Nintendo's E3 2012 presentation was just weird and awkward. 95% of the games at launch look promising though.
#5Who_Dat504Posted 10/10/2012 12:41:58 PM
more than 10 good games
---
Saints, LSU, and Hornets fan!
#6Chocobo115Posted 10/10/2012 12:43:49 PM
-Established Online Communities
-Their respective exclusives.
-Probably a more orthodox controller which won't scare away parts of their customers.
-Better relationship with thirdparty (Nintendo is trying to fix this I know)
-More accepted amongst the older audience (for better or worse)
#7Shinobi120Posted 10/10/2012 12:46:44 PM(edited)
Soccer_is_Best posted...
Enigma149 posted...

Exactly, it will be the PS3 all over again. An expensive system that isn't affordable right now.

Knowing Sony, it may wind up being just that. And with that, we'll be saying goodbye to them from the gaming market within a year or two from PS4's release. They won't easily be able to lower the prices of the PS4 like they did with the PS3.

The reason that they constantly lowered the prices of the PS3 was because they had all of the profits of both PS1 & PS2 lined up. This time, they don't have that, nor do they have other divisions to help back up their gaming division this time around, because most of them are suffering financially too.
#8quickposterPosted 10/10/2012 12:46:35 PM
Chocobo115 posted...
--More accepted amongst the older audience (for better or worse)

Online communities definitely. This one is in danger if Microsoft continue their current path.
---
Bethesda not convinced people will buy the next xbox and PS4: your install base always starts at zero
#9Enigma149Posted 10/10/2012 12:47:51 PM
Soccer_is_Best posted...
Enigma149 posted...

No. The PS3's Blu Ray support was in different shape, for several reasons. I'm going to put + signs by the ones that'll help Sony with the PS4 and - signs by the ones that'll hurt them.

+4K BluRay discs and regular BluRay discs use essentially the same technology, and producing a 4K BD drive in 2012 will be considerably cheaper than a regular BD drive in 2006.
+4K BluRay discs will likely not have any competition, since they are a sort-of bridge generation between the third and fourth generation of optical discs. So far, the only truly 'next' generation optical disc format to be unveiled is HVD. HVD was supposed to come out years ago, but so-far nobody's been able to figure out a way to make an individual HVD cost less than $100.

-By 2006, HDTV had gained a small but significant portion of the television market. To compare, 4K has virtually no market penetration what so ever, being more akin to HD during the late 1990s.
-Sony made significant profits off of the PS1 and PS2, and could afford to make a powerful console and risk taking a massive loss. Now, however, Sony's in rather significant financial trouble (in both gaming and across the board), and they probably can't afford to take a significant loss on their eighth-generation console (note: I'm not saying they won't, I'm just saying they can't afford it).
---
PSN:CrimsonEnigma; 3DS:4897-5935-1924
I don't spend much time online, so don't be offended or surprised if I don't respond to a friend request or something.
#10TottentanzPosted 10/10/2012 12:49:15 PM
Well, MS, if they go the route that one "leaked" document was describing, they could offer a media hub that could potentially replace your DVR and tv box in your house and rival Apple TV in options.

Potentially you could have a device in your home that could stream to any of your wireless devices and allow you to run your MS music player, MS tablet, MS phone, etc through it while also giving you the option to be worlds apart from it to get it to do things such as record your favorite show or game.

Of course that all comes with a fee, and if their patents dealing with charging customers for skipping commercials or fast forwarding or rewinding a movie has any relevance to what they have planned, they might have some interesting fees tacked onto their service to boot.

The great thing about it is that you can most likely get this new system at a low price with a monthly fee that will probably go on for the life of the system that will also include your Xbox Live fee making it seem like you are not really having to double pay just for online options such as playing a game that is hosted on another console because they never made dedicated servers for that game that you are paying for.

While Sony will stay their course of making an expensive system that will play second fiddle to the next box because there are more people who play third party games on MS consoles than Sony consoles probably because MS has a tendency to force publishers into a contract that gives MS a timed release exclusivity deal with DLC though we cant blame that entirely for why Dawnguard is not on the PS3 yet.