Wii U : a year early or 7 years late ?

#31knightimexPosted 10/10/2012 10:52:10 PM
DrSnakes posted...
7 years late

PS4/720 will dominate spec-wise. if you're thinking that those 2 consoles will disappoint you, think again. $400 off-the-shelf-parts-built-console is WAY POWERFUL than PS3/360/Wii

^ won't happen.

even if it does you won't pay $600
---
i7 2600k 3.4ghz, 12gb 1,333 mhz ram, 1.5tb HDD, EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4096Mb, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty, 850 psu
#32FlyinTonitePosted 10/10/2012 11:54:23 PM
A year late. I dont think ps4 will match my pc but i think we shall see a decent upgrade over current gen consoles. Bf3 on pc curb stomps bf3 on consoles even on low, I can't wait for console only gamers to taste what they've been missing.

Any gamer should know wii u isn't that powerful based on rumoured specs, but hd zelda is too good to pass up. Anyone who thinks wii u is the same power as the hd twins is completely ignorant,
---
My karma was 777 on April 3rd, 2012
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#33Arcanine2009Posted 10/11/2012 12:34:32 AM(edited)
I would say 7 years late since the power is on par with PS3 and 360. We've seen the specs, its not more powerful than those machines so this is really what the Wii should have been, and we know the PS4 and 720 will be much more powerful, so its really hard for me to look at this as a next gen machine, but rather just an enhanced Wii, not not even close to the power of modern PCs.

If the Wii U was released in 05 or 06 it would cost close to a 1000 to make.

Nintendo is using 2 year tech, a lot more memory, and a decent GPU at least.

Also to the people saying PS4/720 will destroy the Wii U.. lol.

1. If PS4/720 really ends up being 10X as powerful as the 360, that would only make them 15x as powerful as the Wii U at most, if Wii U ends up being 2x as powerful as 360 at least. That's not nearly the jump between last gen to current gen specs, in which the latter is 20X more powerful in GFLOPS than the former.
2. Development of videogames keep getting more expensive, and next gen games will be even more expensive than Wii U. PS4/720 could have a slow start at first.
3. Wii U's hardware is expected to similar to PS4/720, which would make porting games easier than Wii to PS3/360.
4. Wii U is in HD and is a powerful enough console to deliver a good experience to consumers(not to mention up to 3X more RAM usage for games than PS3/360). Not to mention, a more open online network as well. 4K won't be popular anytime soon because it's expensive as hell.

tl;dr: Way too early to say that the Wii U will be an exact repeat of current gen, like the Wii. The Wii U has more updated tech than the Wii had in its time, to make it more on par with 720/PS3. One of the major pitalls of the Wii was its limited online system and not being able to play games on HD with very limited hardware... Wii U is more than powerful enough to support a good game experience, and will have an online network system that caters to 3rd party developers and consumers a like.
---
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.
#34Chocobo115Posted 10/11/2012 12:09:13 AM
we'll have to see.

But as I see it right now. It is a few years too late. It just feel like they just caught up to PS3/360 and went a little bit further.

Have to wait for PS4/720 to see how far behind Wii U will be.

But does it matter? The fans are so loyal to the brand that it creeps me out sometime.
#35art_of_the_killPosted 10/11/2012 12:53:12 AM
It depends on how much time Nintendo spends playing catch up.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#36shootsmackPosted 10/11/2012 3:02:47 AM
It could have been successful had it dropped in 2010/11.

It's going to be a blundddeeerrrrrr this time.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#37trenkenPosted 10/11/2012 4:45:43 AM
RedOrion posted...
trenken posted...
JackTheRimmer posted...
Thoughts ?

I would say 7 years late since the power is on par with PS3 and 360. We've seen the specs, its not more powerful than those machines so this is really what the Wii should have been, and we know the PS4 and 720 will be much more powerful, so its really hard for me to look at this as a next gen machine, but rather just an enhanced Wii, not not even close to the power of modern PCs.

You really think the 720/PS4 will be as powerful as current PCs? prepared to be disappointed. Realistically, we are looking at a small gap between console hardware next gen (There will be obviously) but it won't be really about the hardware. Software development is going to be a key player next gen.

No doubt, just at the PS3, 360 was right up there with PCs at the same, and same with both of their previous 2 consoles. That's what they do, they try to build affordable state of the art PCs, but cheaper than 1 of those PCs would cost to build.
---
3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3/Vita | CygnusZero
#38trenkenPosted 10/11/2012 4:49:13 AM
Shinobi120 posted...
RedOrion posted...
trenken posted...
JackTheRimmer posted...
Thoughts ?

You really think the 720/PS4 will be as powerful as current PCs? prepared to be disappointed. Realistically, we are looking at a small gap between console hardware next gen (There will be obviously) but it won't be really about the hardware. Software development is going to be a key player next gen.

This, especially considering Sony's financial situation. Do people really think that Sony can afford to put out more bleeding edge hardware in their current financial condition?

Hell, they can't even afford to lower the prices of the PS3 anymore, or Vita (unless they want to go back to more losses).

They actually can afford it. You have no idea how deep their wealth runs. They could lose money for a decade and easily stay afloat. They have been stock piling money for decades and are set up to sustain losses over long periods. They are a massive company and a couple years of losses would never bring them down, not even remotely close.

People see some sheet that says derp sony's been losing money for 2 years, and believe me they are still using $100 bills as toilet paper over there. They are one of the richest companies on earth, up there with oil companies. They really are, and they could build 10 more PS machines and lose money on all of them and still make that back in other ways. Dont worry about them they arent going anywhere. I remember in the 90s they werent doing well for a while, and years later they turned it around and made it all back with the PS2 and the myriad of other things they sell.
---
3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3/Vita | CygnusZero
#39YamotoXPosted 10/11/2012 4:51:31 AM
Shinobi120 posted...
Enigma149 posted...
It's not what they can afford to do, it's what they will do that cares to these people. Sony could go bankrupt on Friday, but as long as they get their high-spec PS4 on Tuesday, they wouldn't care.

And that would most likely be their downfall. As stupid as Sony's decisions are, I doubt that even they will be willing to go bankrupt off of their gaming division.

Agree, now they should focus on vita instead of ps 4......oh wait, sony never listen to their customers.....
#40softballumpirePosted 10/11/2012 4:59:27 AM
1shadetail1 posted...
Neither. It's right on time.

this speaks the truth and only the truth