Nintendo games have generally had weak storylines.

#51Kaze_MemaryuPosted 10/12/2012 2:21:35 AM
Well, the Paper Mario stories were good enough to me.
Besides, Nintendo is a company that really doesn't need good storytelling - they make great gameplay that compensates for lame plots.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#52Phasmatis92Posted 10/12/2012 2:33:02 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Phasmatis92 posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
Phasmatis92 posted...
knightoffire55 posted...
It's always just an excuse for gameplay. And don't bring up Zelda as a counterexample considering how messed up the continuity of those games are.

Metroid Prime.

For the most part though, story in games is like CGI in movies; not always necessary.

Riiiiiight.... cause Avengers would have felt the same if the Hulk and Iron Man were done with wires and cheap styrofoam costumes!

Also Prime has a disgusting story. It has some interesting lore but the story is almost a joke.

And Citizen Kane would have been so much better if it was slathered in CGI, amirite?

The lore IS the story in Prime.

No... it isn't. The story is the story, the lore is the lore. I was more interested in the societies that had disappeared in MP3 than the actual enemies and allies I was fighting against/for. It was pretty pathetic how little I cared about the actual events of MP3.

CGI has plenty of places where it would do well. I never watched Citizen Kane, no reason why it wouldn't benefit from computer generated touch ups.

The story is told through the lore. I am talking about Prime 1, where did I ever mention Prime 3?

Citizen Kane is a human interest film, it requires no CGI. Like many great movies from the pre-digital era, it can be great without it, just like games can be great with no story. Some games need story and some don't, just like some movies need CGI and some do not.
---
The hissy fits about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive is a sad testament to how entitled, rude, and childish gamers today can be. It makes all gamers look bad.
#53Hawker44Posted 10/12/2012 4:01:43 AM
TC: And..? your point? news flash, a game really doesn't need a story to be fun. Unless it's an RPG or Metal Gear, I don't care about the story 90% of the time.
#54GloryChaosPosted 10/12/2012 4:07:15 AM
People get worried about this sort of thing because they've seen a story detract from a game before. If developers aren't spending too much time on bending a game in order to get a story to work, they can be more flexible with things. As much as I loved Mother 3..."There are ants at your feet...

Look at Riveria: The Promised Land. That was a good game with bad gameplay that tried to hide under a fantastic storyline an-

Who am I kidding? That was a bad game with a joke of a story. It was bad overall.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#55SoeroahPosted 10/12/2012 4:10:59 AM
Paper Mario are the best Nintendo first-party stories, IMO.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#56Sol_ClydePosted 10/12/2012 5:15:13 AM
knightoffire55 posted...
It's always just an excuse for gameplay. And don't bring up Zelda as a counterexample considering how messed up the continuity of those games are.

The continuity of the Zelda games is almost non-existant and each game makes perfect sense as their own completely seperate stories.
Stop worrying about the crappy timeline and theories and the stories of each game become better.

But in general, yes, Nintendo games aren't known for their stories. They're known for having simple stories in favor of focusing on the mechanic, which is exactly why Nintendo is my favorite company.
---
Want to make the boards a better place?
REPORT bad posts and topics so the moderators can do something about it.
#57darkjedilinkPosted 10/12/2012 5:43:13 AM
"Games have generally had weak storylines."

It's nowhere near Nintendo exclusive.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#58Rasputin77Posted 10/12/2012 5:49:02 AM(edited)
So? Sorry, I grew up playing Pac Man, Frogger, Centipede, Tron, Joust, Defender, Zaxxon... I never needed a f***ing "story", lol, and I still don't. I play games because of the... you know... GAME part.

There are few genres where story even begins to matter to me. (RPGs mainly) Story in fighting games is probably the perfect example of how developers have to shoehorn in complete drivel just to appease a corner of the fanbase.

--"My character is the son of Marshall. He practices in his family dojo to honor the family name, and has a blood type of B!"
- "Terrific... would you just press start so I can beat your ass down again? Thank you."

EDIT: "TC: And..? your point? news flash, a game really doesn't need a story to be fun. Unless it's an RPG or Metal Gear, I don't care about the story 90% of the time."

Right on!
---
Best. POTD. EVER.
"I live with my parents" = 52.03%
#59FFXIgaiaknightPosted 10/12/2012 5:53:03 AM
yes they do but that doesnt mean there bad games. I play nintendo first party games cause there simply fun to play. Mario Galaxy 1 is the only game this generation that left a permanent smile on my face the entire time i played it, out of the hundreds of really great games this generation across all 3 platforms that one game is the one that stands out most to me.
---
Currently Playing: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
3DS FC : 4124 - 5007 - 1536
#60toad133Posted 10/12/2012 6:08:18 AM
The reason Nintendo never sticks to continuity is because they believe it limits what you can do gameplay wise, i.e what if every Mario game had new features but Peach's Castle stayed the same as it was in Mario 64 and wouldn't be able to take advantage of those new features due to sticking with the environment? In that sense, they're actually being quite thoughtful.

Also, Mother 3 is the only Nintendo game I need when it comes to story.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.