BOYCOTT digital downloading, people. You are feeding into big corp!

#171guedesbrawlPosted 10/13/2012 3:37:09 PM
why should i sell my games?
i want to play them whenever i want.

that being said,while i prefer game boxes and manuals,since the retail price is so damn high here in brazil,the digital one might e cheaper to me.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#172kobalobasileusPosted 10/13/2012 3:41:37 PM
Digital downloading isn't something to boycott - $50-60 digital downloads are.

Digital games are just fine, as long as they follow the Steam model and go for $30 or less. Of course, Nintendo, Sony, et al just want to copypasta the retail model into the digital space. If it worked this way, the big guys would make tons more money because they are able to cut out all the middle-men and second-hand sales. It doesn't, or shouldn't, work this way, as a digital product with DRM is simply not worth as much as a physical product.
#173FlameDragnPosted 10/13/2012 3:49:10 PM
Reginleif20 posted...
FlameDragn posted...
TheApd_Returns posted...
F31Leopard posted...
Giygasminion posted...
How's this for blowing your mind:

1. I have never sold a game, nor do I plan to.
2. Game cases and instruction manuals, while nice, truly don't matter. They take up too much space anyway.
3. For new releases, it'll often be cheaper for me to buy digitally because I'm getting a premium Wii U.
4. If the disk drive gives out, I can still play my games.

I plan to buy predominantly digitally because it's the best option for me. And you know what? By buying physical copies, you're feeding big corporations like Gamestop and Wal-Mart.

I truly don't understand why this board has such disdain for digital downloads. You guys should really download Steam...

Mom & Pop stores sell physical copies. What are they suppose to sell if everything goes digital? Nothing. Shop closed. Lol at the anti GS/WalMart remark. Why is it bad? You want people to lose their jobs? Everyone is not as fortunate as you to get a stable career. You know people work there to make a living right? I have friends and relatives that work at both establishments just to make ends meet that either can't get a job in their field because no one is hiring or got laid off. I live in Hawaii where it's really hard to find a job and there are a lot of unemployed. When Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Costco etc came here application lines were long and brought jobs to lots of people out of work.

sorry, but i don't really give a **** about someone who can't earn a job outside of low-grade retail.

You really have no grasp on economics or reality do you? Many people with advanced degrees and years of experience are having to work "low-grade retail" right now because of budget cuts and economic problems. Please don't come out of your mom's basement anytime soon.

I like the idea of digital downloads, I'm just worried that eventually that is going to be the only option. I'm really hoping that it doesn't get that way. I like having the boxes and instructions with the games. I'm also that way about books. I still would much rather have the hard copy of a book than have it on a tablet. Take it light.

The economy is just fine. People need to stop whining about it

No it's not. It may be recovering to a small extent, but it's not fine. And it's not just in the US. But this isn't an economy debate.
#174Shinobi120Posted 10/13/2012 4:07:43 PM(edited)
AwayFromHere posted...
Well, you can copy the game and resell it, and never get in trouble with that. People been doing this with CDs, DVD for years.

However, even if you do not COPY a game, buying a game retail and reselling the same game on ebay a month or so later is perfectly legal and shrewd. And to those complaining that discs fail, you feel comfortable on a hard drive, I have experience more hard drive fails in my life then disc failures. And let's be honest: If my legend of Zelda disc fails after 4 years, I buy a new one, then swap out the bad one, shrink wrap, return. So easy. Though discs going bad rarely happen.

So you'd rather break the law than pay for a digital copy?

What in the world are you talking about? Unless what you mean are highlighted in bold, then I can understand.

DreamGoddess1 posted...
MaxStar360 posted...
LOL at the sheep comment! How ignorant! If buying 500 games for around $650 makes me a sheep then I must say this: baa baa!

You don't seem to understand what's happening. This is part of the entertainment industry's attempt to control EVERYTHING. It goes beyond this. It's part of the SOPA/PIPA stuff. It's what's leading to needing activation codes for all games, physical or digital. They're doing everything to obtain ABSOLUTE CONTROL. If you can't see that, you're blind. You need to get out of the sheep mentality and understand that the industry is using you as a puppet.

Let them act stupid. They'll find out the hard way very soon.
#175Jinzo 111887Posted 10/13/2012 4:27:00 PM
Digital download's purpose is supposed to be give the bird to people who are selling retail games at ridiculous prices by making the games more available, not to slit the throat of the used and rental industry and allow devs/pubs to be control freaks. The future should have both retail and digital (both new and used). If they try to eliminate used games, they better be prepared to lose sales on new games because people do play the older games to catch up, and they trade in to help pay for them. These are things to consider. Also, not everyone has reliable broadband that doesn't feature data caps, which is one reason why digital won't work.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#176Reginleif20Posted 10/13/2012 4:55:26 PM
The economy is just fine, great actually. People are just too lazy, that's why their lives suck
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#177mantezPosted 10/13/2012 5:51:29 PM
guedesbrawl posted...

Why should I keep my games? When I only want to play them once.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.
#178NicoGrimmPosted 10/13/2012 6:13:28 PM
guedesbrawl posted...

Why should I keep my games? When I only want to play them once.

Why are you buying games in the first place? If you know that games have no lasting appeal for you, why not rent them? There are plenty of services available. Like gamefly, and whatnot.
---
Okay, she exploded. She like—everywhere—it—skin—things—eyeballs—EVERYWHERE! -Gaige
#179DreamGoddess1Posted 10/13/2012 6:32:10 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
Let them act stupid. They'll find out the hard way very soon.

Problem is, we're all gonna end up paying the price for it.

Jinzo 111887 posted...
Digital download's purpose is supposed to be give the bird to people who are selling retail games at ridiculous prices by making the games more available, not to slit the throat of the used and rental industry and allow devs/pubs to be control freaks.

If you actually believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

It's reality check time! These corporations are predators and absolutely are trying to "slit the throat of the used and rental industry". There's a case before the Supreme Court right now, actually. The same copyright trolls that were behind SOPA and PIPA are trying to make it illegal to sell things you've paid for by distorting the First Sale Doctrine. Video games, CDs, DVDs, iPods, books, everything. The decision would also effectively end the rental industry and would also hurt libraries. These companies want money for everything. They want every single person to pay for every use of anything. Those are facts. This is what they are trying to do right now. To make matters worse, both Republicans and Democrats are on their side!

It's all about control. They want to make us all media slaves.

Reginleif20 posted...
The economy is just fine, great actually. People are just too lazy, that's why their lives suck

You need to be thankful for the TOU around here, because I would have some really nasty things to say to you. You're saying that my partner is lazy, and nothing is further from the truth. She may only work at Walmart, but it's because there are reasons she couldn't handle college, not because she's lazy. It's not for everyone, and the world has made it mandatory at this point regardless of the fact that college teaches very little. The economy is still doing poorly. Eventually, your ultra-capitalist house of cards is going to collapse, and people like you won't like the result.
---
Spread the joy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4
#180mantezPosted 10/13/2012 7:07:03 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
Why are you buying games in the first place? If you know that games have no lasting appeal for you, why not rent them? There are plenty of services available. Like gamefly, and whatnot.

There is no gamefly in Australia and most video stores charge $6 AUD to rent a game for a night. How do I know if a game is worth replaying until I play it? I'll play through a game and if I like enough that I will replay I will keep it, if I think it has no replay value I will sell it on. Digital removes this choice. If I buy a game I can play it in my own time and sell it when I'm finished and still get a chunk of what I paid for it back.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.