I'm a hardcore gamer

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/20/2012 5:12:56 PM
I don't think there's any time requirement of investment for a casual gamer. If you game just for entertainment, then you're a casual gamer, period. If you game as a hobby, then you're probably a "hardcore" gamer.(which is a rather silly term, as, unless you're playing competitively, there's nothing hardcore about it.)
---
720p up-scaled doesn't look bad at all.
1080p does look better, but not by much. - knightimex
#22cavebear56Posted 10/20/2012 5:17:04 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

Nobody thinks that except for maybe 40 year old non gaming parents, and CoD haters (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and PC gamers) trying to prove a point.

Fixed for it to reflect the truth rather than biased garbage.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#23VGAddict90Posted 10/20/2012 5:17:10 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
Definition of casual gamer = Someone who plays games regularly because he/she thinks it's just fun.

Definition of hardcore gamer = Someone who is dedicated to gaming in some way, outside of it just being a job. In other words, gaming is an important aspect of their life.

It doesn't get much simpler than that. And yes, I do think it's good to make a difference between them. Neither is superior, they're just a preference.

What do you mean by "dedicated"?
#24tman431Posted 10/20/2012 5:27:32 PM
Why do people say significant other, is that the new political correct thing. If so its stupid, that's like calling my oven my significant house appliance.
---
If life gives you lemons squeeze them into your enemies eyes and laugh
#25MotiJrPosted 10/20/2012 5:33:13 PM
Cymerian posted...
MotiJr posted...
There is no such thing as a hardcore gamer. Just people who need to massage their egos and feel superior over others. Simply put, they are insecure children and a gaming version of the KKK

I disagree. I think if you tend to go stay away from casual games for the most part and you sink in a lot more time into video games that you can be considered hardcore. I don't think their is a "superior" group. I just want both to be tended to equally by the game industry.

I disagree. Just because you stay away from certain games and dedicate a lot of time to videogames, doesn't make you hardcore. Who is to say what a casual and what hardcore game is? That kind of labelling is in the eye of the beholder. Did anyone label board games/card games etc. with such titles? No. This idea of casual and hardcore is just another way for people to enforce the superiority over others in an attempt to feel good, nothing more.
By your definition, a person who plays, what you consider casual games, obsessively is a casual games even though they may play that game for hours on end. There is nothing different between the person who spends 8+ hours a day playing angry birds and a person who spends 8+ hours a day playing cod. Both play a game in an obsessive manner.
In the end you cannot define hardcore and casual because there is no standardised unit of measurement. You can have your own opinion but that will affect only you.
---
Fanboys are a cancer to gaming but Sony fanboys are a particularly aggressive and repulsive form.
#26Cymerian(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2012 6:09:49 PM
MotiJr posted...
Cymerian posted...
MotiJr posted...
There is no such thing as a hardcore gamer. Just people who need to massage their egos and feel superior over others. Simply put, they are insecure children and a gaming version of the KKK

I disagree. I think if you tend to go stay away from casual games for the most part and you sink in a lot more time into video games that you can be considered hardcore. I don't think their is a "superior" group. I just want both to be tended to equally by the game industry.

I disagree. Just because you stay away from certain games and dedicate a lot of time to videogames, doesn't make you hardcore. Who is to say what a casual and what hardcore game is? That kind of labelling is in the eye of the beholder. Did anyone label board games/card games etc. with such titles? No. This idea of casual and hardcore is just another way for people to enforce the superiority over others in an attempt to feel good, nothing more.
By your definition, a person who plays, what you consider casual games, obsessively is a casual games even though they may play that game for hours on end. There is nothing different between the person who spends 8+ hours a day playing angry birds and a person who spends 8+ hours a day playing cod. Both play a game in an obsessive manner.
In the end you cannot define hardcore and casual because there is no standardised unit of measurement. You can have your own opinion but that will affect only you.

Valid point. We can agree to disagree. I still see a difference between casual and "hardcore" games/gamers. However, as you said, there is no definitive unit of measurement for this, so we could debate this back and forth all day.
---
Fanboys: I want Tales of-
Excalibur: Fool! What right do you have to want a tales game? My legend dates back to the 12th century!
#27MotiJrPosted 10/20/2012 7:35:35 PM
Cymerian posted...
MotiJr posted...
Cymerian posted...
MotiJr posted...

Valid point. We can agree to disagree. I still see a difference between casual and "hardcore" games/gamers. However, as you said, there is no definitive unit of measurement for this, so we could debate this back and forth all day.

Well we both agree to disagree :) Was nice to have a discussion without the usual drivel.
---
Fanboys are a cancer to gaming but Sony fanboys are a particularly aggressive and repulsive form.
#28Sylar100Posted 10/20/2012 7:50:38 PM
Cymerian posted...
I'm very competitive. My rank on umvc3 is 1st Lord. I was going to get back into Halo, but 4 loses its core quake style gameplay.

XD juggle juggle fighting games = hardcore?

Trying to show off your PC?

XD

tahahahahaahaha
#29MoegittoPosted 10/20/2012 8:01:45 PM
Casual Gamers are people that play games to pass the time. Example, you have a xbox 360 but use it to watch Netflix and Hulu but play angry birds on your phone/tablet more than you turn your system on.

Hardcore Gamers are people whose main hobby is gaming. Having all systems doesn't make you hardcore, you can own just one but play it all the time. There are people that play only Madden almost all the time and compete in tournaments to win millions of dollars, if that isn't hardcore I don't know how else to explain it.

People need to stop with the false generalization that "hardcore" gamers are so in to the hobby that they can't do anything else in life but game. Someone on this site said something one time that made a lot of sense: "If you have to explain why you're a hardcore gamer, then you probably aren't". I'm not saying anyone is or isn't, it's just that gaming is a hobby. The same way people tell guys to stop raging over CoD because it's just a game, it's the same way with calling people real or not gamers. If someone wants to be a fool and buy a Wii U reserve off of amazon for $650, then they can. It's their money, if someone wants to buy games with all their money then they can do that too. Freedom of choice my friends.
#30oshawott4everPosted 10/20/2012 8:04:34 PM
Sylar100 posted...
Cymerian posted...
I'm very competitive. My rank on umvc3 is 1st Lord. I was going to get back into Halo, but 4 loses its core quake style gameplay.

XD juggle juggle fighting games = hardcore?

Trying to show off your PC?

XD

tahahahahaahaha

"Juggle juggle fighting games"

Clearly you haven't played UMvC3 if you think it has a juggle mechanic like Tekken. You're mostly likely confusing the magic series combo input with juggling. Comeback and play UMvC, or any fighting games that are competitive (AE, Tekken, GG, etc) and then try to back up your claim of thinking fighting games are "XD"
---
http://i42.tinypic.com/5k1z45.gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/34i5q85.gif