Square Enix confirmed to be using UE3 and UE4 from now on

#1IcecreamdunwichPosted 10/23/2012 9:43:32 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/23/square-enix-becomes-first-publicly-confirmed-unreal-engine-4-lic/

This could prove a problem for the Wii U, as Square Enix would have to update the code for the Wii U themselves, which they won't want to do.

Yikes
#2NewniePosted 10/23/2012 9:54:35 PM
Did you know the Wii U can utilize UE3 & 4?
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.
#3ColorfulColorsPosted 10/23/2012 9:55:20 PM
Why do i get the feeling you're blaming Nintendo here?
---
I Never Got Console Wars. They're Just Game Companies. Whats The Difference?
#4WaruigiPosted 10/23/2012 9:57:44 PM
The last time Square licensed an engine the result was quite poor. I don't have big hopes for this, unless they plan to have it used in games they publish rather than games developed in house.

Square Enix is the biggest has been in the industry. I don't think this means much.

As for being used on the Wii U, we will have to see the Squeenix does. If the Wii U is very successful in Japan then it will probably get a main series FF but it remains to be seen what Square has in mind for the system.
---
"I'm no longer surprised by how long and how earnestly people can talk about absolute rubbish." -shockwavepulsarjim
#5DivineTruthPosted 10/23/2012 10:00:31 PM
I think most gamers are gonna be pleasantly surprised when it comes to whether or not Epic makes a UE4 engine tailored to the Wii U. ;)
---
If I agree will you go away?
#6Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 10:04:05 PM
I think most gamers are gonna be pleasantly surprised when it comes to whether or not Epic makes a UE4 engine tailored to the Wii U. ;)

"Rein: "I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable.

"We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform.""

http://kotaku.com/5925575/good-news-and-bad-news-for-those-concerned-about-the-wii-us-power

I guess Square Enix could make lesser titles for the Wii U, it did happen on the Wii so anything is possible.
#7NewniePosted 10/23/2012 10:10:45 PM(edited)
Icecreamdunwich posted...

"Rein: "I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable.

"We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform.""

http://kotaku.com/5925575/good-news-and-bad-news-for-those-concerned-about-the-wii-us-power

I guess Square Enix could make lesser titles for the Wii U, it did happen on the Wii so anything is possible.

All this screams out to me is that, just like consumers, there are companies doubting the Wii U.

Without any doubt, I know UE4 will make it to Wii U.
---
GT & PSN - Newnie
Legend in the making.