Nintendo's new Wii U ad fails to reach the "Core" gaming audience

#1MarikoNumber35Posted 11/2/2012 10:03:56 AM(edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0&feature=plcp

See Nintendo said a few months ago: "We want to aim at the core audience demographic and get them back after we lost them with the wii."

but yet the people in their new ad for the Wii U are:

families playing together (wii again)
little kids under 10 playing (wii again)
old people playing (wii again)

If that wasn't enough then most of the games in the commercial are for casuals and are shovelware party dance singing games.

In a way I feel that Nintendo lied to us when they said they are really trying to reach the hardcore gamers that are on the ps3/360.

It could have been very EASY to incorporate small box section in the commercial with a room full of teenagers/adults playing "core" games for a more mature and hardcore audience. It would have been very simple to include and would have proven that Nintendo's heart is in the right place when they said they wanted to reach the core market.

But since Nintendo failed to do this it has made me a bit skeptical about their motives and maybe they weren't exactly serious when they said they cared and wanted to reach core gamers.

Nontheless, after seeing this ad it has changed my view on the Wii U and has made me see it as the Wii 1.5
---
"You're a liar!"
-Lucy / Nyu / Queen Diclonius-
#2anon_firePosted 11/2/2012 10:03:42 AM
Not this again,.can we just drop it please?

Nintendo's not going to do something to satisfy "your" personal interests.
#3genlockPosted 11/2/2012 10:07:32 AM
Nintendo's core audience is families and kids. It's how they made a ton of money selling Wii's. Their demographic has always skewed that way. And it has worked very well for them. They already know they have a dedicated group of Nintendo fans who will buy the console whatever the case, so there's little reason for them to focus on targeting them.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#4Virus66Posted 11/2/2012 10:07:57 AM
Isn't this like the third time you posted this? Commercials aren't for the Core gamer anyways. Core gamers will look up all the information they need elsewhere and are already decided on the console one way or another. The commercials are intended to appeal to the impulse buyer and the casual gamer, the ones who won't bother looking for information elsewhere.
---
PSN: JVir
Smash Bros Mains- Samus, Ness, Pit
#5fon1988Posted 11/2/2012 10:08:48 AM
I won't defend Nintendo for not showing off the "core" games for the Wii U, but I don't think this commercial was made to gain the hardcore gamer back. This seems more or less an ad for those who don't know what the Wii U is.

The "core" gamers are the ones who are making the Wii U preorders sell out everywhere. I believe the reason for this is due to the great games that are coming out and announced for this system, the online features, the HD, and the fact that it's the first 8th gen console.
#6FlyinTonitePosted 11/2/2012 10:09:19 AM
haven't seen one of these in awhile... /sarcasm.

Nintendo has some of the most dedicated fans that will buy every nintendo console (like me) so they don't really need to cater to them, and I think those fans are "core" gamers.
---
My karma was 777 on April 3rd, 2012
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#7RedOrionPosted 11/2/2012 10:09:19 AM
Virus66 posted...
Isn't this like the third time you posted this? Commercials aren't for the Core gamer anyways. Core gamers will look up all the information they need elsewhere and are already decided on the console one way or another. The commercials are intended to appeal to the impulse buyer and the casual gamer, the ones who won't bother looking for information elsewhere.
#8AwesomeOSaucePosted 11/3/2012 2:36:29 AM
the ad was bad.
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#9TeremeiPosted 11/3/2012 2:41:16 AM
anon_fire posted...
Not this again,.can we just drop it please?

Nintendo's not going to do something to satisfy "your" personal interests.

right, they are going to do something to satisfy "other" personal interest groups. While abandoning the core group of gaming nerds that made them what they are today. That's not to say they wont make starfox, and zelda, and metroid. But they continue to reach out to grandma's and tweens.
---
last $$: Gravity Rush, Pokemon Conquest, SSX, Atelier Meruru LE, Tales of Graces F
Playing: Legend of Dragoon PSN/PSPgo +
#10KEN181Posted 11/3/2012 2:49:07 AM
"Hardcore" gamers don't watch advertisments or TV
---
Wilf > METROD > Phoenis PAUNCH!!!
Poke D/P Name: Rose FC: 4596 6778 0536