What Game Series Could Survive With An M Rating?

#31RE4_FanPosted 11/3/2012 3:55:08 PM
Interesting bit of trivia, Zelda:Twilight Princess got an M rating in Australia =P I remember being surprised on launch day when I picked it up =)
#32DiscomasterPosted 11/3/2012 4:09:29 PM
Metroid, definitely. Many of the other games tend to grow generations of gamers, like Mario. I played Mario when I was a kid, it kick-started gaming for me. It's still doing the same for kids today, my girlfrends kid just loves Mario. Would any kids, even teens nowadays know what Metroid is? Probably not, it's already more geared towards us adult fans anyway. It could be E, T or M and we would still be the only ones playing it anyway.
#33Board_hunter567Posted 11/3/2012 4:36:59 PM
Hmm, I think I might have misunderstood the question.
Is it asking what series would benefit from an M rating? Or is it simply asking would a series survive if it got one or two M rated titles?
#34CrystalKing5426Posted 11/3/2012 4:39:22 PM
RE4_Fan posted...
Interesting bit of trivia, Zelda:Twilight Princess got an M rating in Australia =P I remember being surprised on launch day when I picked it up =)

Australia has really strict censorship laws, so it's not saying much.
---
I come to GameFAQs to be an a-hole and create strife /hate on forum message boards. -GeassMaster
#35darkjedilinkPosted 11/3/2012 4:50:43 PM
Metroid, Zelda and Starfox could all survive, if not benefit from, an M rating.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#36Golden MavenPosted 11/3/2012 4:52:15 PM
Mario

See this fan art if you don't believe me:

http://www.geek-art.net/jose-emroca-flores-dark-mario-world/
#37SullyTheStrangePosted 11/3/2012 4:56:44 PM
Zelda and Metroid are pretty weak T's, if you ask me. There are plenty of T rated games on the upper limit that have way more blood and language. Take Uncharted, decent amount of blood and sexual themes, and every other line has the word "s***" in it. In comparison it seems strange that Zelda and Metroid are even in the same rating as Uncharted.

Point is, they could push a lot more "mature content" into these games without hitting M.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#38SebVettelPosted 11/3/2012 5:03:17 PM
Metroid is the only one I could see having an M-rated installment and not taking a sales hit because of it. Maybe Fire Emblem or even F-Zero, but why the hell would a racing game be rated M?

Series like Mario or Zelda couldn't do it because they are well known as being games that people of all ages can enjoy. They are the kinds of games that a non-gamer parent would purchase for their child as a gift, whereas Metroid, though not an offensive series at all, isn't the type of game that interests younger people.
#39Omega_BlackPosted 11/3/2012 5:22:55 PM
Sakurafanboy posted...
PsychoticNess posted...
Metroid, so we could finally see her t***

...That's not M, that's AO+.

Someone hasn't palyed the God of War series...

And I agree that Metroid would suffer the least. It doesn't even have to have strong language. All that would need to happen is make deaths more gruesome i.e. dismemberment, blood and gore, and just make Samus more brutal, especially with the Space Pirates.

Of course, the Space Pirates will fill the role of horrendous tormentors as they conduct Metroid experiments upon or torture and then brutally murder their captives.

Throw in the bloodied, desecrated bodies of space marines that Space Pirates and other big bads have left in their wake and you've got a guaranteed "M"-rated Metroid.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#40majora123Posted 11/3/2012 5:44:23 PM
They already mention blood, have (real) religious symbols, and swearing (in the western sense. When I played FE 6, I couldn't believe they said "damn," "crap," and even "****" (begins with an s) so causally. They also had crosses on the bishops (not in any of the US ones) and mentioned God. In FE7, one of the characters says "there's blood everywhere." Fire Emblem in the Japanese sense would already be M.
---
FC's in profile 3DS: 4511-0558-2564 Message if u add me. I welcome all requests!