Canadian (EBGames ONLY) Midnight launches/Early openings.

#1ZHDALKERPosted 11/5/2012 8:49:42 AM
Just a heads up for anyone who pre-ordered at EBGames - they happen to have a handy page on their website which shows all their locations that are doing either a midnight event or are going to open early the next day.
The amount is rather low but I am hearing that more locations are going to be added.

http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/landing/wiiu/default.htm
---
I am invincible!
#2MetalGusREbirthPosted 11/5/2012 9:08:55 AM
Thanks a bunch for this.
Unfortunately, no midnight release/early opening for me. I would have at least expected a early opening, since I preordered at the downtown Montreal location. I'll check again later though. Thanks again.
#3ZHDALKER(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 9:38:05 AM
You are very welcome.
Bump once.
---
I am invincible!
#4QuagsireQingPosted 11/5/2012 9:38:16 AM
Midnight launches and early openings for Wii U were entirely up to the managers of each store in this case. There isn't a single store that has enough pre-orders to really justify a midnight launch, but district managers allowed any store that wanted to have one.

Case in point: my store has 30 deluxe pre-orders, and no basic pre-orders. We will have one leftover deluxe for a walk-in and 4 basics (which can still be pre-ordered). That is not nearly enough to justify a midnight launch, which usually takes hundreds of pre-orders.

Most of the time, only a small percentage of pre-orderers bother to show up for midnight (much to the chagrin of the stores, who are able to serve customers much faster at midnights than they can during the day). My store had a little over 100 pre-orders for World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, but only about 15 people showed for the midnight launch. Extrapolating that to 30 Wii U pre-orders means that only a few people would be likely to show, which hardly warrants the effort.

However, at my store, most of us employees have a Wii U pre-ordered, and when polled, nearly every one of our customers said that they would come to a midnight launch if we had one. Even though there are only 30 pre-orders, we expect at least 20-25 of them to come. We know most of these customers personally; they're the ones who come to the shop often, and whose preferences we know by heart. In this case, it will be less of a launch, and more of a party; a gathering for those of us most anticipating the Wii U to share our excitement. Many of us will be going to see Wreck-It Ralph after the store closes for the evening, and there will be pizza supplied for free by a friendly neighbourhood shop who advertises at our midnight launches. I expect that most other stores doing midnight launches are also stores where the customer base has shown great enthusiasm for the console, and the midnight launch is more of a gift to those customers, rather than a strictly business decision.

It works out great for me. I have no plans to unbox my Wii U until Sunday morning, but at least I can get it set up in the early morning, instead of having to wait until nearly 1:00 pm to get it home.
---
"Cats...are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
--S. Miyamoto
#5ZHDALKER(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 12:59:15 PM
I just don't get why can't EB Games USA (Gamestop) do the same?
As in, post the list of their locations that are going to do midnight launches/early openings.
It is so much more convenient - sure, given the size of their network, it is also more difficult, but still, the marginal benefit outweighs the opportunity costs.
And I am also a bit baffled to see that there isn't a single store in Toronto itself that is doing a midnight launch as of now...
---
I am invincible!
#6MetalGusREbirthPosted 11/5/2012 1:15:50 PM
Regarding ^^^
I'm seeing this in the midnight launch tab:
Toronto
-267 YONGE STREET 267 YONGE STREET TORONTO M5B 2H1 ON 416-866-8368
-DUFFERIN MALL 900 DUFFEREN STREET, UNIT 130 TORONTO M6H 4B1 ON 416-516-5968
-EATON CENTRE 220 YONGE STREET, SUITE 110, BOX 511 TORONTO M5B 2H1 ON 416-596-7871
#7ZHDALKER(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 1:52:20 PM(edited)
^^ Regarding.
What the hell?

Mine doesn't show those locations...
Double check maybe? Maybe a screenshot?
Just to clarify, its not that I don't believe you, I think that something is wrong on my end.
I mean, it is not very logical to do a midnight launch somewhere in Waterloo and then ignore their frickin' flagship store in downtown Toronto. Hence, again, what the hell?
---
I am invincible!
#8WinsagePosted 11/5/2012 1:49:23 PM
According to that list, one in my area is doing it.

But it's not the one I pre-ordered at.
#9ZHDALKER(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 1:57:45 PM(edited)
Yup.
Just called my local store and it turns out that they are doing a midnight launch as well.
Huh.
Why is that my stuff is always broken in some way?
:(
I mean, I kid you not, according to what I am seeing, there are just 4 locations in Ontario (none in Toronto) that are doing the midnight launch, 5 in BC (just 1 in Vancouver), NONE IN QUEBEC.
Go figure.
---
I am invincible!
#10MetalGusREbirthPosted 11/5/2012 2:13:15 PM
I'm at work (I don't feel right uploading pics, though I somewhat feel right posting here... go figure). In any case, yeah it's weird that none in Quebec are doing a midnight release. I mean, the province accounts for about a fifth of the country's population.

This is the complete Ontario Midnight relase tab (sorry for the CAPS):
Burlington
ALTON CENTRE 4515 DUNDAS STREET EAST, R.R. #1 BURLINGTON L7R 3X4 ON 905-336-0582
BRANT STREET 1200 BRANT STREET, UNIT 12T BURLINGTON L7P 5C6 ON 905-336-6627
Guelph
GUELPH WAL-MART 3 WOODLAWN ROAD WEST GUELPH N1H 1G8 ON 519-823-5783
Toronto
267 YONGE STREET 267 YONGE STREET TORONTO M5B 2H1 ON 416-866-8368
DUFFERIN MALL 900 DUFFEREN STREET, UNIT 130 TORONTO M6H 4B1 ON 416-516-5968
EATON CENTRE 220 YONGE STREET, SUITE 110, BOX 511 TORONTO M5B 2H1 ON 416-596-7871
Waterloo
LAURELWOOD COMMONS (GAMESTOP) 606 LAURELWOOD DRIVE, UNIT 310 WATERLOO ON N2V 0A2 519-885-8205