Skyward Sword > Skyrim, didn't need 2 gigs of ram OR HD Graphics!

#71ManuKesnaPosted 11/6/2012 8:53:59 AM
skyward sword and skyrim are WAY too overrated with that said, i think Skyrim was the better game even on ps3, i like zelda but skyward sword was just meh imo =/
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna
GT: ManuKesna
#72EarthViperPosted 11/6/2012 8:58:34 AM
Phange 2 posted...
And anyone who complains about Skyrim's bugs is just a pedantic fool. For a game of such extreme scope and breadth, it's astonishing that it's as polished as it is.

Is that why a year later unfunded fanmade patches make the game run significantly better than anything Bethesda can put out at the launch of a multi-million dollar project or after repeated post launch patches?

No, complaining about bugs in a lot of games is nitpicky, Bethesda's products however are notorious for good reason. The games are virtually unfinished, launched with not just numerous glitches but literally game breaking bugs that have no business in a final product of any game regardless of scale.

No other industry would abide the 'sell it now, finish it later' business model that many game companies are moving towards and Bethesda is the posterboy for this thoroughly unacceptable practice. Their games are the skeletons of some excellent open world WRPG gameplay but the fact that their fanbase willingly does a good portion of the job for them to make the games realize their potential is utterly embarrassing and being an apologist for this anti-consumer, lazy workmanship will only make it worse.
---
Clam shell plastic packaging is, in fact, my mortal enemy.
#73JKatarnPosted 11/6/2012 10:16:22 AM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
faramir77 posted...
If that is Bethesda actually trying, I would hate to see what would happen if they phoned it in...

Either way, it says more about Nintendo than Bethesda.

Considering that Skyward Sword is my favorite of the 3D Zelda games, it does say a lot. It is the first in the series that felt like a proper 3D portrayal of the 2D games. It was also the first Zelda game with a plot that actually got you to care about Zelda and want to find her.

Skyrim should have been delayed 6-8 months on PC and 360, and the PS3 version should have never released. It was a joke with how broken the game was when shipped. I truly feel for those without highspeed to get patches. Bethesda sucks at coding and bug testing, and they don't care about those buying their games, Skyrim is proof of that.

It's funny, I hear all this talk about the bugginess of Skyrim, but I've sunk a fair number of hours into it and have yet to encounter any noticeable bugs (of course I'm playing the PC version, I'm also not using any mods to correct issues). I'm sure the console versions had more problems as they had to shoehorn the game into 256MB of RAM which can't be an easy task with a game as large as Skyrim.

Also, it's kind of funny to hear someone say "company X sucks at coding" etc. when they've likely never written a line of code in their life and have no idea how complex designing and programming a game as large and intricate as Skyrim would be. I'm not saying the game doesn't have issues, and I'm sure a little more time in the oven would have been beneficial, and they haven't handled the PS3 problem as smoothly as they could, however with a game that has as many interlocking parts as an open-ended RPG, there are bound to be problems that spring up when people play and do things the designers never expected - which is entirely possible with a game that has so many variables. They can't possibly test all contingencies in a game so large.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#74Dr Edward RoivasPosted 11/6/2012 10:24:13 AM
I prefer SkyLANDERS, nyuck nyuck.
---
Tie it on, in your mind. It's your Noctourniquet.
#75Phange 2Posted 11/6/2012 10:27:47 AM
EarthViper posted...
Phange 2 posted...
And anyone who complains about Skyrim's bugs is just a pedantic fool. For a game of such extreme scope and breadth, it's astonishing that it's as polished as it is.

Is that why a year later unfunded fanmade patches make the game run significantly better than anything Bethesda can put out at the launch of a multi-million dollar project or after repeated post launch patches?

No, complaining about bugs in a lot of games is nitpicky, Bethesda's products however are notorious for good reason. The games are virtually unfinished, launched with not just numerous glitches but literally game breaking bugs that have no business in a final product of any game regardless of scale.

No other industry would abide the 'sell it now, finish it later' business model that many game companies are moving towards and Bethesda is the posterboy for this thoroughly unacceptable practice. Their games are the skeletons of some excellent open world WRPG gameplay but the fact that their fanbase willingly does a good portion of the job for them to make the games realize their potential is utterly embarrassing and being an apologist for this anti-consumer, lazy workmanship will only make it worse.

It's easy to release bug-free linear path shooting galleries or platformers.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#76EarthViperPosted 11/6/2012 10:34:39 AM(edited)
Phange 2 posted...
EarthViper posted...
Phange 2 posted...

What does that have to do with anything I said? Did I compare the job Bethesda's coders and tester have to the job X company has? The scale of their games is NOT AN EXCUSE. I know they're big, I know they're variable, I know they have to take into account things X developer doesn't. That's irrelevant. The fan community can patch their game better than they can and the sheer fact that it CAN be patched to run significantly better is sheer proof that...it CAN be patched to run smoother...derp. These things should be done before asking the consumer for their money like any other industry would demand.

If they want to take on a bigger job than X developer that's they're choice but it doesn't free them from the responsibility of releasing a finished product. They have the time, budget and manpower to do so, they choose however to not do something that has been proven very possible. Why? Because their fans do it for them and they win GOTY awards and sell multi million units anyways.
---
#77DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/6/2012 10:39:31 AM
EarthViper posted...
Phange 2 posted...
EarthViper posted...
Phange 2 posted...

What does that have to do with anything I said? Did I compare the job Bethesda's coders and tester have to the job X company has? The scale of their games is NOT AN EXCUSE.

Wow people are stupid. I guess the regular GFaqs poster sees no difference in polishing a game like Pac Man or Linear jRPG #2016 compared to an open world game where there is more object interaction in a single room than there is in the entirety of the jRPG genre.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#78EarthViperPosted 11/6/2012 10:42:44 AM(edited)
DesperateMonkey posted...
EarthViper posted...
Phange 2 posted...
EarthViper posted...
Phange 2 posted...

What does that have to do with anything I said? Did I compare the job Bethesda's coders and tester have to the job X company has? The scale of their games is NOT AN EXCUSE.

Wow people are stupid. I guess the regular GFaqs poster sees no difference in polishing a game like Pac Man or Linear jRPG #2016 compared to an open world game where there is more object interaction in a single room than there is in the entirety of the jRPG genre.

Did I ever say that? No, in fact I specifically stated it's a bigger job. You on the other hand apparently can't read and/or lack reading comprehension. So whose the stupid GFaqs user again? Seriously pal, LRN 2 REED
---
#79DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/6/2012 10:48:46 AM
Yes, you specifically said that the scale of the job is irrelevant to how bugged the game is. Also modders are modders. They often focus on certain aspects of the game and take a long time to produce and overall patch that fixes many issues.

This is not how development of a game works. The time is allocated between fixing bugs and ADDING CONTENT. Modders do like the last 0.01% of the game. Also many bugs are not found until the end of development or once the game releases and they have to prioritize that time for something else.

This modders excuse is pretty pathetic. The whole reason why wRPGs are so bugged is because they spend up to the last moment of development trying to squeeze in ambitious amounts of content or freedom at the expense of polish. This is evident if you even knew the history of the genre and stopped playing arm chair developer for two seconds and thinking you have all the answers.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#80EarthViperPosted 11/6/2012 10:55:29 AM(edited)
DesperateMonkey posted...
Yes, you specifically said that the scale of the job is irrelevant to how bugged the game is.

No, I stated how big the game is is irrelevant to the fact that releasing a finished product should be expected. By your logic Honda should be allowed to release a car without doors because it's a whole lot harder and more expensive to make than a hot wheels.

I stated it's a much bigger job. That however does not give them a free pass to shirk the responsibility of making the product ready for retail which Bethesda's games, by and large, are not.

My note of modders was in response to the initial implication that making a game so big and variable would be almost impossible to make it run smooth. An assertion proven wrong by the fact that IT'S BEEN DONE. It had nothing to do with whether or not it was viable to employ those kinds of people to work for a year after the game was done to make it ready but simply the fact that it CAN be made to run a whole lot smoother.
---