Why does Nintendo not make their consoles as powerful as they can?

#21AXKSIONPosted 11/6/2012 7:06:39 PM
exclusives and games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tech power

all the tech can be there but if the games suck it is going to fail. Ex: Vita. The 3DS is so much better since the 3DS actually has a pretty good lineup for 2 years.
---
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif Say "hi" to your 2012 World Champions: The San Francisco Giants!!!!
#22knightimexPosted 11/6/2012 7:35:40 PM
$599.99

/thread
---
With PC, Next generation gaming is always today.
Not 5 to 8 years from now.
#23KirbyIsAwesomePosted 11/6/2012 7:36:25 PM
Because they're actually smart.
---
DemonDog: "I insult Nintendo for making crappy consoles and whoring out mario, and praise sony systems and games"
"I'm not a fanboy"
#24mnemeth2005Posted 11/6/2012 7:42:08 PM
blue_hedgehog posted...
Because they don't want their consoles to overheat

Funny my Wii overheated frying the GPU three times. All a launch Wii though and Ninty fixed it for me.
---
Narcoleptic Driver behind the wheel.
#25ORANGE666Posted 11/6/2012 7:54:55 PM
Because Nintendo's profits only come from the following
-Liscensing
-Games
-Accessories
-Consoles

While they do have quite a bit of cash laying around (Around 20 billion), a single sales flop will hurt the entire company's reputation. Especially more so than in the past because of more competition and non competition waiting for any of the 3 to slip.

Investors need to see Nintendo posts profits because they're a company living day to day. Both Sony and MS can post losses and investors won't care. Because both spend money to stay ahead, not now, but 3+ years down the road. The only trouble being when a company posts major losses and investors see no relation to that and a turnaround years from now (i.e Sony)

I think Nintendo's business model is fine as it is. Though they should spend the cash they have now on buying out companies like THQ. The reason Nintendos stock is so low is because they haven't expanded much in the last few years. If they spent money towards iOS and other companies, their value would soar. But of course, them Japanese traditions... rather die than bow to an enemy if need be. Publicly stating they would rather go bankrupt than make games for Sony a japanese company or for mobiles.
#26SolisPosted 11/6/2012 8:02:50 PM
knightimex posted...
$599.99

/thread

That $599.99 console wasn't anywhere NEAR as powerful as it could have (or should have) been, how does that answer the question?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#27McmadnessV3Posted 11/6/2012 8:09:03 PM
"First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress."

-Reggie
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#28Shinobi120Posted 11/6/2012 8:21:25 PM
Solis posted...
knightimex posted...
$599.99

/thread

That $599.99 console wasn't anywhere NEAR as powerful as it could have (or should have) been, how does that answer the question?

This. It was really nothing more than a 360 with a Blu-Ray player. A lot of people have expected the PS3 to be extremely more powerful for that price.
#29ElectricMolePosted 11/6/2012 8:25:22 PM
Ironically if it wasn't for that$600 console pioneering that expensive ( for its time) disc format that can hold 25 GB of data, the Wii U would still be using DVDs.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#30wh0_kn0wsPosted 11/6/2012 8:55:22 PM
graphics will plateau very soon, really they've already started to. at some point you're racing to a tie in that respect.
---
it's simple. just be nice.