Why does Nintendo not make their consoles as powerful as they can?

#31blue_hedgehogPosted 11/6/2012 8:57:10 PM
Ironically if it wasn't for that$600 console pioneering that expensive ( for its time) disc format that can hold 25 GB of data, the Wii U would still be using DVDs.

What does the PS3 using Blu ray have to do with the Wii U's optical disc format?
---
Official Cyndaquil of the Pokemon Black/White Version 2 Board - http://i.imgur.com/XWPfA.png
Click HERE to find out if you're stupid.
#32stoney2005Posted 11/6/2012 9:27:35 PM
$$$$

why else
---
Hmm a flag with the peace symbol on it. Your militant dictatorship can't have that, now can it Mario?
#33SuperShyGuy9000Posted 11/6/2012 9:31:12 PM
blue_hedgehog posted...
Ironically if it wasn't for that$600 console pioneering that expensive ( for its time) disc format that can hold 25 GB of data, the Wii U would still be using DVDs.

What does the PS3 using Blu ray have to do with the Wii U's optical disc format?

license fees it would at about an extra $5USD to the cost of the console
#34MSRLPosted 11/6/2012 9:33:25 PM
RetroFanGirl posted...
Why do people even care about console graphics, they always lose out, period. Just get one with games you like and sit back and enjoy.

Best post I've read thus far.
---
Hope, Love, Faith.
#35FlyinTonitePosted 11/6/2012 9:36:30 PM
Ps4 rumoured specs are laughably bad... 8gb of ram but a really, really crappy apu for a"next gen" console. Even if they go with a hex core, quad core cpus are benchmarking much better right now. As such, I feel ps4 will disappoint many gamers hoping to see wii u buried.
---
My karma was 777 on April 3rd, 2012
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#36ZodrynPosted 11/6/2012 9:50:15 PM
If they went "all out," it would cost you $600-900 for a beast that would play the same games with more AA, higher resolution, and other pretty post processing effects. I wouldn't mind it, personally, but I'm very happy to pay $350 for a nice gaming console instead of $600+. I'll still get my Metroid and Zelda in beautiful HD, and that's all I need. :)
---
Negatory morning glory
#37Shinobi120Posted 11/6/2012 10:11:59 PM(edited)
FlyinTonite posted...
Ps4 rumoured specs are laughably bad... 8gb of ram but a really, really crappy apu for a"next gen" console. Even if they go with a hex core, quad core cpus are benchmarking much better right now. As such, I feel ps4 will disappoint many gamers hoping to see wii u buried.

I'm thinking that both Xbox & Playstation fanboys are in for a big surprise when they find out that the next Xbox console or the next Playstation console aren't exactly tons more powerful like they're expecting (they're expecting another PS2 to PS3 & Xbox to Xbox 360 jump, but it's not happening).
#38knightimexPosted 11/7/2012 6:32:20 AM(edited)
Solis posted...
knightimex posted...
$599.99

/thread

That $599.99 console wasn't anywhere NEAR as powerful as it could have (or should have) been, how does that answer the question?

Lets discuss how that 599.99 quickly dropped in price due to bombing hardcore.

Lets also talk about sony's financial situation, and their lack of ability to deliver a next gen console sooner than expected.
---
With PC, Next generation gaming is always today.
Not 5 to 8 years from now.
#39LordBowserPosted 11/7/2012 6:42:37 AM(edited)
To reduce the price. Having the most affordable console will significantly improve its sales.

We've about reached the point where we're at the apex of quality gaming. The graphics can get better, but they don't need to be to be great games. Anything beyond this is mostly superficial.

But hell, that's just my opinion.

If people wanted to maximize their gaming experience, they would own a gaming PC. And for the record, I do. It will go nicely with my Wii U.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#40DeathSoul2000Posted 11/7/2012 6:43:48 AM
mrivera889 posted...
Nintendo=Pure Video Game Company
SEGA=Pure Video Game Company
Sony=TV,Music,Film,Mobile Phone,Video Game Company
Microsoft=OS PC Market (As of September it owns 69% of it), Mobile Phone,Video Game Company.

You see what I'm getting at? Sony & Microsoft can bleed more money because they are not totally dependent on the Video Game Market for revenue.

Even if Nintendo wanted to it's too risky to take the plunge on making more expensive/better hardware on their console or else they will follow in SEGA's steps. As for comparison look at how quickly they drop the price on the 3DS because it wasn't selling and they are not used to bleeding money, on the other hand by comparison despite it's low sales Sony didn't do the same with the PS Vita or the PS3 when it first launched because they can get away with bleeding a bit.

geez you're stupid. just because companies have multiple divisions doesn't mean they can afford to take hits. look whats happened to sony for instance.