Why do people constantly brag that their PCs are more pwerful than WiiU/PS3/720?

#191LordcrabfoodPosted 11/9/2012 3:15:17 PM
I used to game on PC, never again, the amount of stuffing around you sometimes have to endure and through no fault of your own, no thanks. Nothing beats the simplicity of put game in and play. The graphics of high end PC games are over-rated anyway as far as I am concerned.
#192YamiYugi4400Posted 11/9/2012 3:19:43 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JKatarn posted...
I'd like to see that build....either you're assuming the builder will be cannibalizing a few parts from their current or a previous build or you're cutting major corners to meet that price point. For the record, a decent gaming PC is quite affordable, but I seriously doubt you're getting >console gaming power for $250. The BS is really flying around in here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192289
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820576002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1102165

Throw in either a large HDD or small SSD, and you're set.

Also, again, I have never, ever, ever, in my entire life, actually had a DVD DRM conflict on any computer, ever. I've seen some pretty silly DRM on various games I wouldn't touch if you paid me to, but nothing like that.

AkaneJones posted...
Wow, this topic got big fast...
I'm not read that!

So if it hasn't been stated already or people just want to hop strait to the end over the whole thing and get a simple answer here.

THIS IS WHY
People bring up a PC is more powerful every time, not to brag, but to say look at current PC titles going for release next year. They are explicitly stating that for every fanboy who thinks PS4/Xbox720 will out class WiiU on every area, just like PS360 did to the Wii, are dead wrong. Games on PS4/Xbox720 can only look as good at they current PC games period. Considering that the useful difference is currently negligible between WiiU & PC, and PS360 and PC for the non-technofile, there will be no massive graphical leap. Any leap that occurs will result from things that have nothing to do with system power, see Watch Dogs.

Actually, the difference is pretty damn massive. If you enjoy fuzzy, jagged <30fps then hey, that's fine. I liked N64, too. but, the difference is about the same as going from PSX/N64 to PS2/GC.

You forgot the motherboard >.>
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#193PHEEliNUXPosted 11/9/2012 3:22:42 PM
They are more powerful but it struggles to play the games that work fine on PSWII360
and leave them be, it is just their opinion
#194lionheart5656Posted 11/9/2012 4:12:41 PM
They are more powerful but it struggles to play the games that work fine on PSWII360
and leave them be, it is just their opinion

If it ever struggles it is because the developers are looking for a quick buck and didn't bother programming it right on PC.

Almost every PC gamer can spot those games a mile away. Grand Theft Auto is one such running joke.

Bethseda games run several times better in every way on PC than it runs on consoles.

As I said, no issues unless you are dumb or lazy.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#195Board_hunter567Posted 11/9/2012 4:17:58 PM
Because they're the bad kind of PC master race.
A few of them seem to really love the Wii U boards though.
#196_Candice_Posted 11/9/2012 4:30:53 PM
Its a cycle.

Microsoft and Sony fanboys circlejerk about which console of theirs has better looking multiplats.

Then the second PC Gaming is brought up Console Gamers cry "ITS NOT ABOUT GRAPHIX!!!"

Nintendo fanboys used to be able to pull the "Gameplay over Graphics" card but we all know the Wii killed that argument.

Everyone knows Gaming PCs are more powerful than consoles and will end up emulating all your games in the future. People buy consoles for convenience, not because theyre good at playing games. If their exclusives were sold on other platforms you wouldnt buy those consoles to begin with.
#197JKatarnPosted 11/9/2012 6:09:53 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
JKatarn posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
shampoowarrior posted...
Well, if you took the time investment to read a little more carefully, you would probably notice posts like those usually come out after someone tries to bash X console and brag about how much more powerful Y console is.

The point they're making is PC > All, power-wise. If people want to brag about their favorite console, power is a poor weapon choice.

Dumb logic like this is why the TC made this topic. PC's are not > all because PC is not > for cost. Not only is not much worse for cost in terms of performance, what you get is a lot messier than consoles. You cannot put a disc in and play most games. You cannot share, sell or rent games. The local multi support of PCs is an absolute joke.

Much more annoying is hunting for the parts and then building it yourself just to save money and still have it be much less cost effect.

Another issue would be the huge size of a PC compared to consoles.

Oh lets not forget all the issues PCs come into with DRMs and compatability issues. I've had two games this generation that I can't even play because of DRM and one other game that barely plays.

To be fair, very few console games this generation support local split-screen multiplayer anymore, they are mostly limited to online-only multiplayer.

Also, you absolutely can built a decent gaming PC that will blow the consoles away for ~$650-750 (this of course does not include a monitor + peripherals), and as a bonus you can do many many other things on it besides gaming as well. True, there is a bit of a learning curve to building a PC but as long as you're reasonably careful assembly is simple and straightforward.

I personally have had very few compatibility problems, and I play a wide range of games from classics to modern titles...as long as you go to the vendor sites and install the latest drivers for your graphics card (which is a straightforward process) it's fairly simple to avoid compatibility problems.

I don't understand what this is...

First of all, split screen gaming is all but an industry standard. This year alone we got Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Borderlands, RE6 and all the new racing games. Please don't pull information out of your ass. If anything, there are just less shooters now.

Also, do you even understand what cost effective means? It does not mean spend however much you want. You can beat current consoles with a much smaller budget than that.

If you are implying that a $600computer is going to beat a $600 console, than you really have no idea what the hell your talking about. This probably wasn't even true for the PS3 and it was $200 too much for its power because of Bluray.

You are citing a handful of AAA games out of the entire 360/PS3 library - if you'd bother to do some actual research you'd discover that the vast majority of games don't support splitscreen - cherry-picking 4 games doesn't change that.

Obviously I'm not addressing the next generation of consoles, as I'm not omniscient. Of course the consoles usually have a slight price and/or performance lead upon launch, but this quickly evaporates as PC tech advances. The theoretical $600 PC I mentioned will trounce current consoles, and compete with next-generation consoles while being enabling the user to carry out other tasks beside gaming.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#198godplaysSNESPosted 11/9/2012 6:20:45 PM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JKatarn posted...
I'd like to see that build....either you're assuming the builder will be cannibalizing a few parts from their current or a previous build or you're cutting major corners to meet that price point. For the record, a decent gaming PC is quite affordable, but I seriously doubt you're getting >console gaming power for $250. The BS is really flying around in here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192289
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820576002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1102165

Throw in either a large HDD or small SSD, and you're set.

Also, again, I have never, ever, ever, in my entire life, actually had a DVD DRM conflict on any computer, ever. I've seen some pretty silly DRM on various games I wouldn't touch if you paid me to, but nothing like that.

AkaneJones posted...
Wow, this topic got big fast...
I'm not read that!

So if it hasn't been stated already or people just want to hop strait to the end over the whole thing and get a simple answer here.

THIS IS WHY
People bring up a PC is more powerful every time, not to brag, but to say look at current PC titles going for release next year. They are explicitly stating that for every fanboy who thinks PS4/Xbox720 will out class WiiU on every area, just like PS360 did to the Wii, are dead wrong. Games on PS4/Xbox720 can only look as good at they current PC games period. Considering that the useful difference is currently negligible between WiiU & PC, and PS360 and PC for the non-technofile, there will be no massive graphical leap. Any leap that occurs will result from things that have nothing to do with system power, see Watch Dogs.

Actually, the difference is pretty damn massive. If you enjoy fuzzy, jagged <30fps then hey, that's fine. I liked N64, too. but, the difference is about the same as going from PSX/N64 to PS2/GC.

You forgot the motherboard >.>

He did not, the motherboard is included in the combo deal...Together with the CPU
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#199DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/9/2012 6:35:47 PM
shaunme posted...
Thirdly, set hardware like in consoles do not even need a 680 to reach the equivalent performance and runs at much higher efficiencies, especially when we are talking about multicore CPUs.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa all credibility lost .

Yeah, please build me a PC for $300 in 2005 that can run Batman AC on current settings. Please don't even kid yourself. You PC noobs just make ridiculous claims out of ignorance.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#200DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/9/2012 6:48:20 PM(edited)
@JKatarn

1. Who said the majority of games have split screen? The fact is, it is a huge advantage for consoles that many games do have split screen. This is an idiotic argument.

2. Of course a $600 PC with no peripherals is going to beat a console that goes on sale during holidays at $130 while still including a CONTROLLER. This has to be a bad joke.

3. Why are you saying the consoles have a slight price advantage? There is nothing close about you spending 6x the money.

4. You can't even beat the Wii U for cost and now you are making up BS about how your $600 PC will beat the next consoles and assuming those consoles will be $600? Not to mention, it doesn't come with controllers, wireless support and wifi...

Please just stop. I don't even understand why you continue this argument. You are saying a $650 PC is going to still perform worse than a $600 console, even slightly. So why then why do stupid PC gamers ask why people care about how powerful consoles are? Clearly they should care if its a much better value than PC gaming. Not only does it have a price advantage for cost, its usually way more attractive, way smaller, much simpler and comes with a bunch of extras.

I have no idea why you talk about doing other functions. If someone needs a powerful computer for something else, then why not just PC game. If someone doesn't need a powrful computer, chances are they already have plenty of computers or laptops from the past and the last thing you want to do is bog down your gaming PC more with your pron viruses.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H