Peter Molyneux Interview. He needs to STFU.

#91IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/9/2012 11:05:58 AM
Molyneux has some seriously amazing game design ideas, the problem is that his ideas are often too large in scope and can not be (feasibly done) in a normal game (normal meaning it's not a gimmick game like Fez where the whole gameplay is based on a single unique gimmick).

If we could give him an infinite amount of time/money/power to work on something, we could possibly have one of the best games (in it's genre) ever made. At least the most game changing.
#92Virus66Posted 11/9/2012 11:07:37 AM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
Anyone that had seen Spore before EA dumbed it down exponentially and ruined it wouldnt be able to hate on Peter. The guy has amazingly grand visions, its not his fault publishers want to limit them since its not profitable to make games so good you might not NEED another game for a long ass time.

A developers output potential is sadly in many cases greatly controlled and determined by the publisher, for their own financial interests.

The only thing Peters guilty of is talking his games potential up too much, before he knows what he'll actually be allowed to actually make. The guys still a visionary and has made some seriously iconic games.

Though i'm sure if Jesus himself landed on earth (implying he exists in this scenario) and had unkind words for the Wii U, the fanboys would find an angle to discredit him and demonize him.

Fanboys gonna fan, herpa derp derp derp just like always

Umm... that totally wasn't Molyneux. Will Wright made Spore lol.
---
PSN: JVir
Smash Bros Mains- Samus, Ness, Pit
#93SS4_NamreppivPosted 11/9/2012 11:08:23 AM
Molyneux is the George Lucas of the gaming industry.

So you're saying Molyneux will soon sell his properties to Disney?
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban
#94GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 11/9/2012 11:14:18 AM
Virus66 posted...
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
Anyone that had seen Spore before EA dumbed it down exponentially and ruined it wouldnt be able to hate on Peter. The guy has amazingly grand visions, its not his fault publishers want to limit them since its not profitable to make games so good you might not NEED another game for a long ass time.

A developers output potential is sadly in many cases greatly controlled and determined by the publisher, for their own financial interests.

The only thing Peters guilty of is talking his games potential up too much, before he knows what he'll actually be allowed to actually make. The guys still a visionary and has made some seriously iconic games.

Though i'm sure if Jesus himself landed on earth (implying he exists in this scenario) and had unkind words for the Wii U, the fanboys would find an angle to discredit him and demonize him.

Fanboys gonna fan, herpa derp derp derp just like always

Umm... that totally wasn't Molyneux. Will Wright made Spore lol.

I've been up for like 24 hours LOL, quiet!! Just go with it!! >_>;
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#95AkaimizuPosted 11/9/2012 11:47:14 AM
Well, with Molyneux, he introduced a good number of concepts to the gaming industry that are still in use by a number of developers. He never lost my respect as being one of the forefathers of a good number of concepts. Just like Will Wright. Richard Garriott. Sirtech. Two of which are important iconic developers leading to the entire existence of turn-based JRPGs, as we know them.

Not unlike how I still attribute the late Westwood Studios as being the creator of the Real Time Strategy genre.

Still, apparently Molyneux doesn't seem that anti-Nintendo in this. In fact, he still seems to praise the idea of Nintendo's Motion controls and is simply not as impressed with what the Wii U brings new to the table.

To a degree, I can understand where he's coming from, but I think he probably underestimates the impact. Thing is, yes, the Wii U tablet aspect is not a truly new concept. Even Nintendo admits that it has some relation to steps made in the past. (Most notably the Nintendo DS having a dual screen approach) However, Wii U seems more like a perfected method of the concept first launched with the Dreamcast and its VMU. This idea of having a separate screen, in a controller, as a supplementary gameplay assistant or as an optional screen on its own is something that with each time it has come back, has improved on the implementation.

This time, it's come pretty far and the screen technology, a giant leap from the last attempt. This idea is something a number of devs believe would work. This time, it looks promising that the new controller fully realizes the concept in a way everybody can easily enjoy.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#96IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/9/2012 12:31:18 PM
Truly sad to see Nintendo fans trashing a true pioneer in the gaming industry, guess they really do live in a Nintendo bubble.
#97FenderMasterPosted 11/9/2012 12:55:48 PM
Molyneux is totally right, most of the ideas for WiiU are lame or don't change gameplay

NSMB U - Create platforms for friends who are actually playing the game for real, help them with speedruns!

Pikmin 3 - Use your old Wii remote from last gen!

ZombieU - Now you can swp items and enter numeric codes in to door kepypads IN REAL TIME! Because nobodies ever done that before. Hold up the pad to the screen to use as a sniper scope, which is better than pressing a button to bring up scope on the tv because ____?

Nintendoland - The archer has his own screen while 3 swordsmen share a tv... Why does the archer need his own screen? Well obviously it's because ____

Other games - Maps and inventories. Everyone really hates having important info like HUD's and mini maps on screen where they are easily glanced at right? Well now you can look away from the tv and take your eyes off the game to do that stuff. Control batarangs on a second screen while Batman on the tv stands still and does nothing!

Groundbreaking stuff this!

Molyneux may be full of s*** and overpromise/underdeliver on everything he ever makes, but he's right here. Nintendo have no great ideas for this new controller.
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones
#98Beatperson14Posted 11/9/2012 1:01:12 PM
FenderMaster posted...
Molyneux is totally right, most of the ideas for WiiU are lame or don't change gameplay

NSMB U - Create platforms for friends who are actually playing the game for real, help them with speedruns!

Pikmin 3 - Use your old Wii remote from last gen!

ZombieU - Now you can swp items and enter numeric codes in to door kepypads IN REAL TIME! Because nobodies ever done that before. Hold up the pad to the screen to use as a sniper scope, which is better than pressing a button to bring up scope on the tv because ____?

Nintendoland - The archer has his own screen while 3 swordsmen share a tv... Why does the archer need his own screen? Well obviously it's because ____

Other games - Maps and inventories. Everyone really hates having important info like HUD's and mini maps on screen where they are easily glanced at right? Well now you can look away from the tv and take your eyes off the game to do that stuff. Control batarangs on a second screen while Batman on the tv stands still and does nothing!

Groundbreaking stuff this!

Molyneux may be full of s*** and overpromise/underdeliver on everything he ever makes, but he's right here. Nintendo have no great ideas for this new controller.

Now THIS guy knows what's up
---
MODS=FAQS
#99Phange 2Posted 11/9/2012 1:33:38 PM(edited)
Molyneux's creepy virtual boy simulator for Kinect is the stuff of nightmares

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM

I'm glad it was never released.

Also, like everything Molyneux releases, it's a huge ruse. Curiosity's sever crashes so often that it's blatantly obvious that Molyneux doesn't have the programming skills to match his admittedly ambitious design beliefs. I'll never forget the hype surrounding the first Fable. It was completely crazy. None of it came true other than "your character gets older and keeps scars"

But Milo took it to a new level.

---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#100Phange 2Posted 11/9/2012 1:36:56 PM
Oni_Taedo posted...
Phange 2 posted...
Molyneux is the George Lucas of the gaming industry.

Hardly.
Lucas made one of the best trilogies in cinema history (the Indiana Jones trilogy, the other trilogies he made can go suck a fat one).

Molyneux has never made anything worth playing.

Populous was one of the finest games of its day
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange