does anyone see this failing as a gaming console like the wii did?

#1NightMareBunnyPosted 11/9/2012 1:21:34 AM
and by that i mean nintendo hyped the hell out of the wii as a casual gaming device but they failed hard when it came to marketing it as a gaming console

sure there were some good games but the wii ran out of steam quicker than the 360 and ps3

once everyone got a wii they didn't have anything to hype anymore
---
JUS FC:347983426961
Diamond FC:4167-0966-1829
#2mabber_IIIPosted 11/9/2012 1:25:23 AM
no, because the wiiu gamepad functions like a real controller

the wiimote was too radical, and it made traditional style games less fun

with the wiiu gamepad, you can do different types of games, or you can just throw the map onto the bottom screen and be done with it
#3zaakroPosted 11/9/2012 1:25:36 AM
no not at all.

Just because it happened with the Wii why would it happen with the Wii U?
---
Some days don't you wish you could high five the sun
#4nonexistingheroPosted 11/9/2012 1:29:30 AM
The Wii didn't fail as a gaming console -__-

The PS3 and 360 did in terms of marketing for a while now, since it's pretty much all about the extra non-gaming features those consoles have. The Wii was all about gaming.

In terms of great games, the PS3 and 360 most certainly got quite a few more and the Wii is pretty much dead. But the best Wii games are easily just as good as the best on the PS3 and 360 and there's just as many as well. It's just that the Wii didn't offer a lot of games on the level of 'good' and 'great'.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have enough to entertain myself with on the Wii U.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#5Seca VerinsPosted 11/9/2012 1:42:29 AM(edited)
Only "hardcore gamers", AKA the type of neckbeards who think there's any distinction between "casual" and "core" gaming, actually think the Wii "failed". The Wii is easily the most prolific and successful gaming console since the PS1, maybe even since the NES. It didn't "fail" because you've arbitrarily decided you don't like that women and adults with jobs (two types of human beings you'd previously only heard of in legend) happen to also enjoy some games on that console.

Whew. I'm beginning to suspect that hearing this idiotic rhetoric about the Wii has left me an angry husk of a being.
#6noutBrPosted 11/9/2012 1:41:48 AM
Well I always felt like the Wii had great potential.

Unfortunately Nintendo didn't use it, no Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Starfox, F-Zero or Wave Race is what really disappointed me about the Wii. The way the VC is handled is also all wasted potential, I understand the business model but I still don't like it. Why should we have to wait YEARS for a few decent old games to be released on VC, I still don't buy VC games I never planned on getting so at least I'm voting with my money.

I'm still getting a Wii U though, even though Nintendo greatly disappointed me with their first party offerings on the Wii it was still enough to satisfy me. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade Chronicles and Excite Truck (yes, Excite Truck) are great games that really made me glad to own a Wii. I wasn't blown away by Zelda SS, maybe because it all felt "been there, done that a million times before".

I always have hope that Nintendo will suddenly start caring about their core fans again and release a new F-Zero, Starfox, Waverace, 1080, Mario Golf and new IPs that capture the hearts of gamers all over.

Though that hope was damaged by this article:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/miyamoto_puzzled_as_to_why_anyone_would_want_a_new_f_zero

Seriously, I have great respect for Miyamoto but this just shows how disconnected he is with the fans. Saying "I am also very curious and Iíd like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we havenít done before?" and yet being perfectly fine with releasing countless 2D Mario games that are almost exactly the same.

Not every game has to be groundbreaking or innovative to be awesome, as a Mega Man fan I know this.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#7mabber_IIIPosted 11/9/2012 1:44:08 AM
Seca Verins posted...
Only "hardcore gamers", AKA the type of neckbeards who think there's any distinction between "casual" and "core" gaming, actually think the Wii "failed". The Wii is easily the most prolific and successful gaming console since the PS1, maybe even since the NES. It didn't "fail" because you've arbitrarily decided you don't like that women and adults with jobs (two types of human beings you'd previously only heard of in legend) happen to also enjoy some games on that console.

Whew. I'm beginning to suspect that hearing this idiotic rhetoric about the Wii has left me an angry husk of a being.

I don't like those terms either, but the wii was a massive failure to me, because the motion controls didn't make the games any better, and in most cases made them worse, like in mario galaxy and dkcr
#8NightMareBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 1:45:43 AM
Seca Verins posted...

after everyone bought a wii what was there to play?...not much honestly Nintendo Targeted the people who don't play video games they targeted the people who would buy into the whole motion gaming and family friendly mini games they didn't target actual gamers
---
JUS FC:347983426961
Diamond FC:4167-0966-1829
#9GutzNRagePosted 11/9/2012 1:47:42 AM
I don't think the Wii U will have anywhere near the success of the Wii. The Wii wasn't a failure; not commercially. It sold like crazy.

Was it good? Some people think so.

I still see in the Wii U the same problems I had with the Wii. Nintendo keeps trying to tell people how we should play our console games. That's not how it should work.
---
" . . . " -- Link
GT: GUTZ and RAGE
#10Seca VerinsPosted 11/9/2012 1:48:43 AM
NightMareBunny posted...
Seca Verins posted...

after everyone bought a wii what was there to play?...not much honestly Nintendo Targeted the people who don't play video games they targeted the people who would buy into the whole motion gaming and family friendly mini games they didn't target actual gamers

I want you to explain to me the distinction between an "actual gamer" and the people who bought and played Wii games in a way that isn't sexist, condescending, or elitist.